Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my school we are taught blocks with a closed fist, and for the middle block the palm of the fist is turned towards the body.

I believe in Goju blocks are done open hand, with palm out. (aka wax on/wax off in Karate Kid). One of my friends did TKD, and also learnt an open hand block.

Which version do you learn, or are you taught both? Does a preference for one type of block or another indicate anything else about a particular school?

For those who have a Bubishi, the block we learnt is identical to the winning technique in diagram 37 of the 48 self defense diagrams.

[ This Message was edited by: Taikudo-ka on 2002-06-17 12:58 ]

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closed hand blocks are slower, due to the extra tension, but more powerful and easier to perform, especially when you're beginning since they force you to get the mechanics right.

Open hand blocks are much faster, but people can get lazy doing them and fail to block properly. Plus they're weaker to a degree.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learnt both. I use both.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.. I've found myself instinctively using open, palm out blocks when sparring fast opponents. I seem to end up "catching" the punches more than I deflect them...

I'm finding the closed fist harder to use in practise (although easy to demonstrate)...??

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it either way. Just depends on what sort of follow-up I'm setting up to do. True that if the hand is closed that you generally have a stronger block and if it's open can be weaker. With a closed hand block, it is easier to counter punch with the same hand than with an open hand block. But on the same token, with an open hand clock it's easier to trap/grab than having to open up the fist to do so.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In TKD we use a combination of hard (closed)and soft (open) blocking styles.
Open handed blocks (single/double knifehand blocks, block and attack, inner knife hands) use relatively gentle force to delay or deflect the attacking force. Soft blocks are generally slower since they require more blocking motion and more body movement ....(snapping the hip into the block transfers your body mass into the technique for additional power)
Hard blocks (closed fisted) use far more force. The block is struck with a forceful blow to either, stop, delay, or deflect the attack. Hard blocks are quick, using minimal motion, and body movement, and may be painful to both the blocker as well as the attacker.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-06-17 15:02 ]

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on the level of the student. All of our early blocks were done with closed hands to minimize the danger of breaking fingers. Later techniques with open hand are learned after the student has a few years behind them and has reached a higher level of proficeincy in terms of learning how to judge distance, speed of an incoming attack and amount of force use.

ronryu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito ryu karate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned both however the open hand blocks are useally used to lead in for a grab and the closed fist blocks are ment as strikes as well as blocks.

Ryukyu kobudo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned the standard close hand blocks, but I fight with my hands relaxed and open, so I block with an open hand. Punching is tricky because I have to tense the hand before impact or its going to break. Often, if I want to hit the person fast I'll have my hands open and relax, twisting my body into the punch for a little added power.

:-)-:
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Shotokan, we learn both, althought closed hand is stressed as the basic block. The problem with open-hand is that you run the risk of having your fingers broken, even if you're performing it properly. Although open-hand will allow you to control your block and counter better, it's dangerous against the kind of opponent who just barrels into you kicking and punching, because you never know when an attack will come in from a weird angle and break your fingers. Okay, I'm talking too much. I'll just sum it up:

Open hand: better control, good for countering

Closed hand: safer, more power

If you're trying not to hurt your opponent, or subdue them safely, open-hand is best. If you're just aiming to beat them down, go for the closed hand. Of course, this is just my opinion. Do whatever works.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: