Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

baronbvp
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, boxing, JKD/MMA, Shorin Ryu, military combat arts, fencing, archery

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea I just had: set up some hypothetical scenarios in the dojo where you talk through the woulda, coulda, shouldas. Set the scene with an antagonist and an second and third party. Discuss who says and does what, then act.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another idea I just had: set up some hypothetical scenarios in the dojo where you talk through the woulda, coulda, shouldas. Set the scene with an antagonist and an second and third party. Discuss who says and does what, then act.

Definitely, scenario replication is a crucial part of self defence training. One drill you can do is start with a very basic 1 on 1 scenario and work through the complete situation from the verbal to the shoves and the physical if it is required. After you have done that a couple of times start adding variables, 1 at a time and work through it. Things you can add include:

more attackers, weapons, girlfriend or boyfriend is in the bathroom and will be back in 30 seconds, give yourself a handicap (arm in a sling etc), under the influence of alcohol. And anything else you can come up with.

You'll begin to realise that the physical technique you use become one of the least important aspects of the situation, and verbal tactic and situational awareness become far more crucial. Also you will notice that the response required is extremely different depending on each variable you throw into the mix.

Finally, has baron mentioned, breakdown and discuss each aspect of the scenario with your training partners and share your thoughts and ideas.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, cross and Baron. I think that interaction during and after the training like that is important. You can't do enough of that, in my opinion.

longarm25
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Ryu Kyu Te

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be surprised how many tight spots you can talk your way out of if you teach your self to stay calm

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha
but do not reley on them." Musashi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: