Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

cathal
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan (Ryukyu Kobujutsu, Iaido)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Conflict Avoidance Reply with quote

In terms of general knowledge for the public it would normally seem like common sense to be aware of your situation and surroundings. When we were all in elementary school we're taught to avoid "bad" situations and people, and places.

As martial artists how do we incorporate our training into this philosophy? After all we focus mainly on the physical aspect of combat, at first anyway. Later on we learn more about ourselves and how people's minds work. We understand more that it's better to simply avoid a fight than it is to simply fight it out and wait to see what happens.

So to answer that question what do you think we as martial artists can do to incorporate this into our training?
hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
- Sun-tzu

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So to answer that question what do you think we as martial artists can do to incorporate this into our training?

Create scenarios within the class where the students are required to be aware at all times.

Run drills where a large group of people are walking towards and to the sides of a student and one is going to attack the student. This way they have to be aware and look for the warning signs of an attack.

Give everyone a rubber knife that they can conceal and use at anytime against anyone in the class.

Run scenarios that cover everything from the verbal to the physical to the aftermath. Include weapons, multiple attackers etc. And to boost awareness, from the verbal the "attacker" can decide if he is actually going to attack, or if he will walk away after a verbal onslaught.

Just some ideas.

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roleplaying is very useful in this situation, not just in the dojo, but outside as well. Show people why they need to walk farther out into the sidewalk when going around corners, or how easy it is to hide what you're doing when you're behind a huge van or truck, don't just tell them about these things.

Also, we focus on self-defense on physical conforontations. But what about things like identity theft, fraud, and social engineering. Little Johnny doesn't know that he shouldn't put his address or other personal information on myspace, or that there's scores of pervos out there just looking for that kind of thing. People who work in customer service jobs don't realize they're doing anything wrong when people call up and ask them to punch a sequence of keys on their phone, or tell them who they do repairs through. And some people still believe that if they cash that check from the exiled prince of some hoogabooga island and send them half the money that the check is going to turn out bad and they're going to be out the money.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all very good points. It is important that we learn to protect ourselves not only physically, but privately as well.

lordtariel wrote:
Roleplaying is very useful in this situation, not just in the dojo, but outside as well. Show people why they need to walk farther out into the sidewalk when going around corners, or how easy it is to hide what you're doing when you're behind a huge van or truck, don't just tell them about these things.

I was thinking of this as well. Sometimes, it is good to get out of the controlled dojo environment that we are all used to, and get on the street, in different buildings, walking up stairs, being in elevators, and all kinds of different things.

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

I was thinking of this as well. Sometimes, it is good to get out of the controlled dojo environment that we are all used to, and get on the street, in different buildings, walking up stairs, being in elevators, and all kinds of different things.

And wearing street clothing and such.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordtariel wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

And wearing street clothing and such.

Yes, definitely.

baronbvp
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, boxing, JKD/MMA, Shorin Ryu, military combat arts, fencing, archery

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most effective programs that I've seen is a ride-along program with police. I used to send my Sailors on these rides to educate them about conflict deescalation, DUI, etc. Many of my kids came into the military out of rough neighborhoods and didn't really know any other way to resolve things than through the medium of violence.

I was the senior shore patrol officer for a carrier strike group in Bahrain once, in charge keeping 6000+ Navy Sailors out of trouble in the bars. I learned many things in those few days. There are many ways to deescalate situations other than by fighting. I believe we could all benefit form this kind of training in the dojos. Police officers and bar owners and their security are usually more than willing to give talks. I suggest you take those over 21 down to a bar one afternoon before their business hour and get a half hour of familiarization.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cool thought, Baron. I would have never thought about that, with going to talk with bar owners and such.

The police ride-alongs are a good idea as well.

NightOwl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Working on Judo and BJJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cross wrote:

Give everyone a rubber knife that they can conceal and use at anytime against anyone in the class.

haha, I am picturing how this would have worked out in my younger years...

baronbvp, that sounds like a very good idea that you had!
....I guess really though, anger management and humility (plus a good sense of humor) can get you far.

~Theodore Roosevelt

baronbvp
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, boxing, JKD/MMA, Shorin Ryu, military combat arts, fencing, archery

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen these ideas work. Take your guys down to a bar and watch and discuss. Talk to the owner in the day, then come back that night. Get to know security and find out what they watch for. Ask them how they would feel if a bunch of MA guys tried to get involved. Often, they don't want extra "help" because it make sit harder to manage the situation. But it is worth exploring.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: