Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Terry Bogard
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: TKD, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jump to the side, hook the neck and get them off their feet by getting down low and pulling out their ankle, and they will land on your knee

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Bogard wrote:
jump to the side, hook the neck and get them off their feet by getting down low and pulling out their ankle, and they will land on your knee

what are you trying to counter? surely not a double leg...

ZR440
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Filipino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing specific. Just use a common example. There is no way we (you) could cover all the attack angles.

JIUJITSUFIGHTER
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very true johnny boy, bjj is an amzing style and i can name a few non-brazilians who in fact are also excellent fighters.

why train in anti-grappling and such, as in karate for example, when you can understand how grappling works. if you train in grappling you will learn the set-ups for takedowns and than you will be able to predict a takedown and than you will have the training(bjj) to prevent the takedown from happening.

the bottom line is ,if you learn how grappling works and learn a minimal amount of it than you will be better equipped to defend against it.

Beer-monster
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate/Ju-jitsu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay just an idea, that I've used and it's worked for me as a karate and traditional jiu-jitsu stylist.

It all depends on the time for your reaction. If you have say one or two paces distance and see it coming your fine, if not you're buggered. The worst is if someone uses it after being forced to one knee or getting up from a strike or throw.

Anyway, stepping back into a long traditional karate front stance works well. Sound daft for those who don't like stance, but it takes one leg out of range and makes you stable against the rush and momentum. But you have to be fast on you're feet. Use your hands to jam his motion by pushing back then whack him hard with hammerfists and knees. But bear in mind the person I trained this with is not the worlds best grappler but he good.

If in doubt go for the balls, even an expert will find it hard to put on a submission if you grab and twist his nads.

shotokanwarrior
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Self Defense

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when they shoot in try a good front stance and move your rear leg back far and go low. run your arm down the side of his neck and jaw and turn his head side ways then clamp on the the other side of the neck with your other arm and choke. another thing to do is strike the back of the neck at the spine with an elbow.

JIUJITSUFIGHTER
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i get what your trying to say, shotokanwarrior and it sounds good to me ill have to try it, but you have to undertsand that in bjj there is always another option,we have have more techniques for the same situation up our sleeve.

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tjs,
Tell saku, or don frye or a bunch of others who have pounded bjj guys into powder that they will get beat. Bjj is not invincible, formidable yes, invincible no. I have done sombo for 10 years, and you would be amazed how often I have tapped bjj guys with leglocks

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never said it was invincible but about 95%+ of todays fighters have cross trained in it to some extent i bet that includes don frye and Sakuraba.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sprawl is an effective way to counter a shoot, but not the only way. If you think there is only one option to a shoot in by a wrestler than I would study other Martial Arts that don't fight in competitions, maybe they have techniques you haven't seen before. Maybe you will learn techniques that will widen your options, just a thought.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: