Add KarateForums.com
Test the New KarateForums.com! (KF Turns 23)
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer-monster wrote:
Okay just an idea, that I've used and it's worked for me as a karate and traditional jiu-jitsu stylist.

It all depends on the time for your reaction. If you have say one or two paces distance and see it coming your fine, if not you're buggered. The worst is if someone uses it after being forced to one knee or getting up from a strike or throw.

Anyway, stepping back into a long traditional karate front stance works well. Sound daft for those who don't like stance, but it takes one leg out of range and makes you stable against the rush and momentum. But you have to be fast on you're feet. Use your hands to jam his motion by pushing back then whack him hard with hammerfists and knees. But bear in mind the person I trained this with is not the worlds best grappler but he good.

If in doubt go for the balls, even an expert will find it hard to put on a submission if you grab and twist his nads.

I would ALMOST agree with that one... you'd do better to fully sprawl and get both legs out of the way. if he's good with takedowns, that double leg will become a single, and he will take you down diagonally instead of straight back. As for the hammerfists, you wouldn't do any real serious damage before he got you down. you could with a knee, but that may sacrifice your balance greatly, since he has your front leg.

As for the nads - don't count on them. They can do damamge, but aren't always fight enders. the funny thing about nads is that you tend to feel the pain AFTER an adrenaline rush has ended. I've been hit in the nads in class and it hurt badly - but there was no adrenaline rush there. I've been hit there in a fight, and I didn't feel a thing until the fight was over.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SevenStar said, "That's the thing about joint manipulations - not all of them have the same effect as soon. someone with a flexible wrist is less susceptible than someone with an inflexible wrist - that applies to all joints. I've got pretty flexible shoulders and can usually endure an attempted ude garami/ kimura/americana, etc long enough to get away and counter before the person can tap me. same with leg locks. but not everyone is like that. My wrists are inflexible though, so I am susceptible to those - it will vary from person to person, it doesn't mean that the guy was doing them wrong."

The pain of small joint manipulation is only a factor in how this stuff works. Your structure is still being effected, if done correctly. Its used to effect your balance by take the hand or wrist to your balance point so that at that moment when you try to regain your balance the takedown is possible, you are essentially weightless at that point, making to take down easy. Small joint manipulation should be applied with your whole body behind it not just with the arms.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiujitsu Fighter said this,"stop trying to find holes in bjj, insulting and criticizing (in a bad way) the art, won't make you feel better about yourself and your innefective art forms."

They locked the thread "Multiple Opponents and BJJ Tactics", but I had to respond to this. JF if you are a true practitionar of BJJ, you should be finding the holes and trying to fill them. No Art is perfect, because perfect is an ideal not a reality. You should thank people for bringing you the weakness of an Artform to your attention, not telling you is more cruel than the truth.

MSPav
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A problem with BJJ techniques is that they usually require you to use both hands to ward off an attack and/or set up your own attack. This is problematic if you don’t complete the counter-attack before the other guy gets another shot in. It leaves you open to another strike from his free hand or foot. Nearly all of their street defenses seem to be reactionary too. That is, you have to wait for the other guy to attack you first. A lot of them also need the assailant to hold still and wait for you to complete your set up.

But I'll freely admit that I'm not an expert on BJJ.

JohnnyS
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ, Shootfighting, TKD, Goju

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSPav, I'm not sure what techniques you are referring to when you talk about both hands being required.

As for reactionary moves, their is the foot-stomp to make him bring his front foot back and then the double leg which is an attacking move. There are also many other moves which are attacking and not just reactionary.

Also, what do you mean the techniques require the opponent to hold still so we can complete our set-up ?

Please give specific examples about these things.

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJS,
You said that 95% of fighters crosstrain in bjj. Maybe. But the same number of people train in a striking art as well.

1ONEfighting
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: A pinch of this, a dash of that.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why counter the BJJ fighter? Why not buy him a beer and have him show you how to roll? You'll learn a lot more that way.

wishes he was R. Lee Ermey.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have friends who study with the machados, it's great for the ground.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenpo4life wrote:
TJS,
You said that 95% of fighters crosstrain in bjj. Maybe. But the same number of people train in a striking art as well.

Yes MT or Boxing..

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to compete in UFC, Pride, and these type of matches, sure go with what those MA's study. If you want to study MA's because it interests you, study what you want. If you want to study weapons and Combat, study Combat Styles. Why do I study Martial Arts is the question to ask yourself, that will lead you to the style that best suits you.

Countering a BJJ fighter on the street, comes down to who's smarter. All you really have to worry about is that double leg take down, it's pretty easy to get out of the standing stuff. More than likely I'm not going to fight a competitive fighter on the street anyway, and I have no desire to fight in the ring, I have nothing to prove.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: