Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KickChick sounds similar to my shoulders. Only my problem is to due to repeated rotator cuff tears. The danger in hyper laxity is when things stretch too far and tear.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok.... so I guess this is pretty common then. Yoda I average about 750 - 1500 mgs per day ... but I noticed I was gaining weight and retaining water and when I stopped taking it I dropped the couple lbs. I put on. I heard it does raise blood sugar levels in certain individuals(???) I had faith in the stuff and maybe because I was hopng it would work, when I first started taking it I thought I had seen some improvement ... just one less pill to take

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Ligament hyperlaxity- is basically double jointedness.

Also called hyper mobility syndrom. This is aparently what i've got. all my joints are over supple. I can dislocate both my shoulders (a common problem amongst sufferers), my knees click, i get slight back pain plus now my wrists and fingers crack. In fact whole body is doomed for arthritis

I blame dangerous stretched. So when you stretch make sure 1. your fully warmed up. and 2. your stretching muscles and tendons and not ligaments.

Tendons hold muscle to bone,
Ligaments hold bones together. Stretching ligaments is very bad, it loosens you joint and makes you very prone to injury.

This is why you may have clicking hips where your stretched a ligament. Fortunately i have no trouble with my hips, and have also eliminated the trouble with my back by weight training. Ankle weights and dead lifts.

Strengthening all the supporting muscles i found to be very helpful. something the physio mention she noticed i'd done a lot of weight training and said the trouble is you concentrate on major muscle groups and loose balance in your joints by not doing torsional or twisting motions which strengthen the muscles which are right around and inside the joint. aparently this is very important and she stressed that i do very light twisting excercises for my shoulders.

Also another thing i've noticed (particularly in tkd) involving antagonistic muscle groups, you do a million sit ups but nothing to strengthen your back and wonder why you get back trouble. Always do press ups and push things away tho never pull things towards you, this incourages your shoulders to slump forward which gives bad posture etc. There are a lot of excercises like this.

What does glucosamine do would anyone recommend it for my supple joints?

More Qustions then Answers

Bretty

ZR440
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Filipino

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased some glucosamine/chondroitin/msm complex about a month ago, but haven't noticed any improvement (which is why I had to seek a knee doctor). However, I have a friend in the physical rehab business that says a lot of elderly people are experiencing improvements after 2 months. I will still continue to take this stuff because I need all the help I can get.

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2-3 months is the norm for improvement to become noticeable. I've used Glusosamine with & without Chondroitin & found it just as good on it's own.

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bretty .... check out the thread "Glucosamine" in the Health & Fitness Forum which should answer your questions.
Guess I was pretty impatient .... is weight gain/bloating associated with it .... I found that to be the negative effect.

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KC, Iread this thread and thought I would give you an update on my experience wtih Glucosamime. I started taking 1000mg of just the Glucosamine Sulfate about 2 months ago. I found no noticible improvement at first
then after about a month I felt myself
loosening up easier. Its been 2 months and now Im seeing a greater difference. My flexibility is improving quite a bit. Ive gained a bit height on my kicks and dont click and grind as profoundly as before (though I still do). Im not saying that it is miraculous but it has made a noticible improvement in me personally. The only complaint I have is that it can give you stomach upset if you dont eat before taking it and that if you alergic to shellfish be careful you could get an allergic reaction. As for bloating and weight gain, Ive actually lost a few pounds since I started taking it. I dont think it caused it though. I hope this is helpful.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback shotochem .... I am going to give it another try! Wow..... why is this stuff so expensive????
I don't know why the weight gain .... but since I am trying to not gain a bit (going on vacation in 3 weeks) I will go back on.
Right now looking good in the bikini is priority numero uno! ....

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the CVS store brand its half the price!!!!

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one down the street I'll check the price! Thanks!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: