Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday 21st June

Weights Session (Deadlift)

Decided to continue where i had left off instead with Week 1 of current 531 cycle, since due to transport strikes i won't be able to get to BJJ this week. This frees up extra lifting times during the week.

Deadlift

70kg x 5
80kg x 5
90kg x 5
105kg x 5
120kg x 7

Happy with these, lifts went up smoothly. the final set was harder but the first few reps were smooth. Have always been weaker for higher reps in DL so no issue with that

Squat (lighter weight sets) Superset with below

45kg x 10
45kg x 10
45kg x 10

These were fine. Small increase in weight from last time and every rep was down until hamstrings touched calves. Next DL session this will be 4 x 10, then 5 x 10 following session then weight increase

Fat DB Lateral raises Superset with Squats

5kg x 10
5kg x 10
5kg x 10

Relatively new exercise for me but i need to strengthen shoulders and also want to improve grip so i thought i would combine these. Will keep in programme

KB Hammer curls holding horns

20kg x 10
20kg x 10
20kg x 10

Exercise felt good and smooth. The thickness of the KB horns should help with grip too going forwards

Lying leg raises lying on bench
4 sets of 13

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday 22nd June

Karate session

First session since grading.

Was a small class tonight. Just myself, one 6th Kyu, one 1st Kyu, 1st Dan and 3rd Dan training (plus my 5yr old who was mainly running about! - he is excited that his school summer holidays start tomorrow)

Warm ups and stretching
For this some Stationery Yoko Geri Keage practice was added in. I liked the drill and will practice it at home since i want to improve this kick a lot

Kihon
Usual grade Kihon
Also added in some new combinations to work on shoulder turns : age Uke - Soto Uke, Gedan Beri, Uchi Uke, Gyaku Zuki. Every technique changing hand (so R/L/R etc). Was a nice drill and one i think i will benefit from practicing at home

Kumite
We did this earlier in the class that usual. I paired up with the 1st Dan and we worked semi free sparring for a bit with unannounced techniques and then several rounds of free sparring/ Enjoyed this and we did for 30min

Kata
Worked kata towards the end of the class.
I had checked with the 3rd dan at the beginning of the class that i had managed to pick up the correct sequence of techniques at home for my new kata (Heian Sandan) and she said i had
The instructor ran through Heian Sandan with the class for my benefit. Focused on the double blocks near the beginning a lot and the correct preparations. Worked through about half of the kata - initially to a count then doing freely. Gradually getting smoother at it and i much prefer it already to Heian Nidan!

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday 25th June

Weights session

Had a few things come up this week which impacted training time a lot so was restricted to a session today only instead of Thursday as well. Decided to combine the planned main lifts for Thursday and Saturday and get out fast if possible

Squats

20kg x 10
40kg x 5
50kg x 5
57.5kg x 5
67.5kg x 5
75kg x 9

All done for maximum depth i can achieve. Weights are lighter than would be otherwise but going up smoothly and i can see and feel the improvement

Seated Overhead Press

20kg x 10
25kg x 5
32.5kg x 5
37.5kg x 5
42.5kg x 11

Doing these sitting on a flat bench with no back support. Have dropped the weight back down as was struggling to make the required weights at the higher ones. These felt good and i managed to hit target reps

Bicep Cable curl / Rope triceps pushdown superset

25kg x 8
25kg x 8
25kg x 8

Have a slightly stiff plate loaded lat low pulley machine so used it for these

Fat Grip Bent over rear delt raise

5kg x 10
5kg x 10
5kg x 10

Not done these with fat gripz before. seemed like a good exercise so will keep in programme

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday 29th June

Karate session

Warm up at beginning of class
Kihon
Kata - continued to work on Heian Sandan as it will be for my next grading

Kumite

Lots of kumite in class this week. First of all we did several rounds of one step sparring just to get warmed up then moved onto free sparring. I got paired up with a 2nd dan and 1st dan and we just rotated partners for sparring. Sparring skills are slowly returning so am holding my own now. Some good comments from the 2nd dan that i am fighting back when he bltizes more now rather than just covering up and trying to weather the storm! Did automatically try for an osoto gari when being blitzed and he was close up at one point but thankfully pulled it once i had broken his balance.. Got amusing comment that while it is allowed technically it is bad form on a solid floor!

Kata again

We went back to kata and practiced a few more rounds. Started with Heian Shodan, then Heian Nidan then several rounds of Heian Sandan. I am comfortable now that i know the sequences and just need to get better at performing them properly!

Overall a good session. I enjoyed it a lot tonight since i do enjoy sparring!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your last class certainly sounds like it was a great one across the board. Your log is quite solid because how you mix up your workouts for the benefit if every muscle group; not to heavy here, while being light elsewhere.

Keep training hard and well!!

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Your last class certainly sounds like it was a great one across the board. Your log is quite solid because how you mix up your workouts for the benefit if every muscle group; not to heavy here, while being light elsewhere.

Keep training hard and well!!

Thanks, is always good to get a second opinion trying to cover as many bases as possible. From looking over my training logs i can see i am weaker when i only lift twice a week (3 times a week seems to be my sweet spot) but equally i don't want to overdo it and get an injury from other training (have done it before) so i am going to stick with things as they are

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday 30th June

Weights Session

kept this quite light as am planning to go to a lunchtime bjj session tomorrow for first time in ages. Don't want to chance it on the recovery front so i cut down on the accessory work

Bench Press

20kg x 10
40kg x 5
50kg x 3
60kg x 3
70kg x 3
80kg x 4
60kg x 10

Barbell Row (without belt)
60kg x 9
60kg x 9
60kg x 9
60kg x 9
60kg x 9

Kg Hammer Curl (single kb)

20kg x 10
20kg x 10
20kg x 10
20kg x 10

Karate Kihon
100 x punches

Added this as a light extra to get some more work in

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday 1st July

BJJ Gi Session

Lunchtime session for first time in ages. should be able to make this a regular occurrence.

Relatively small class but had one brown and one purple belt taking part which was good, plus i got paired up with the brown belt for the technique work which was good.

We worked a guard pass for closed guard for the majority of the class. Firstly we just worked until the guard was broken and the pass was started, working on keeping pressure all the way through.

Then added in finishing the pass and some options for control from in : either mounting; reverse scarfhold. Got shown a neat choke that i had never seen before, quite like an arm triangle but subtly different.

Positional sparring rounds of a min working either to pass guard if on top or sweep/submit if the guard player. Was paired up with the brown belt and purple belt for this which was good to get pointers on things i need to improve.

Then a few rounds of rolling. Managed to hit my first ever de la riva sweep so i was pleased! Have only recently begun to try adding in some de la riva stuff

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday 2nd July

Weights session

Kept this one quite short as had a lot on this weekend so really just wanted to get in, do main lift and get out. Added in a small amount of accessory work just to feel like i had done a bit!

Deadlift

70kg x 5
80kg x 5
97.5kg x 3
112.5kg x 3
127.5kg x 5

These felt good and went up smoothly. Tried to really concentrate on pushing the ground away and it made a difference.

Squats

45kg x 10
45kg x 10
45kg x 10
45kg x 10

supersetted with

Fat Grip Db Lateral Raise

5kg x 10
5kg x 10
5kg x 10
5kg x 10

I sam quite liking these. Feel them quite a bit in the shoulders (which is good) but can also feel the grip work. Am building them up slowly and gradually as dont want to chance any tendonitis developing (have had issue in the past years ago when grappling a lot and adding in more forearm/grip work). Reminding myself that it is a marathon not a sprint

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon, you're going to have to change the title of this thread to...

DarthPenguins Training log of a FIT person!

Keep up the great workouts!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 2 of 33
Jump to: