Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Soon, you're going to have to change the title of this thread to...

DarthPenguins Training log of a FIT person!

Keep up the great workouts!!

Haha eventually! Though fitness is relative. In my head it is always a goal that is to be strived for as can always be 'fitter'.

More likely future title is ".. log an almost FIT person"

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday 6th July

Karate Session

Very small class tonight (5 people) though from a purely selfish point of view this is good for me as means plenty of attention and suggestions to fix my numerous technical faults!!

Warm up
Kihon

this was modified slightly and some different techniques shown that aren't normally covered

Kata

Worked through Heian Sandan a few times with some useful pointers. Thankfully the suggestions were to do things differently that i had been deliberately doing in the manner i was doing them ,due to a misunderstanding on my part, so should be straightforwrd to rectify

We also did a pseudo kata made up of shutp uke and spearhand strike (i have totally forgotten the correct name for this!). Followed the embusen for Heian Shodan but with the techniques replaced with almost all shuto uke. Was good practice for the technique

Kumite

Worked some ippon kumite as practice for grading in September and then did some free sparring. As usual i was paired with one of the black belts as he is the closest in size to me

Drills

We also did some additional drills for responding to an opponent punching you, using footwork, shuto uke and a strike/throw etc. Was good though i was told that i parry the shuto too much and i should 'prepare and strike with it' instead to hurt the opponents punching arm. I will try to do this in the future but i think until my hand speed improves to the level where i can doge punch, do a preparation and then strike with the block i will likely still parry in sparring etc as i can manage that fine with shuto. Issue is purely lack of skill on my part though so i will work on fixing it!

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday 7th July

Weights session

Seated overhead barbell press (no back support)

20kg x 8
25kg x 5
30kg x 5
35kg x 3
40kg x 3
45kg x 10

Barbell bench press (part of superset and lighter for volume)

45kg x 10
45kg x 10
45kg x 10
45kg x 10

One arm KB row from 3 point stance (reps are per arm)

24kg x 10
24kg x 10
24kg x 10
24kg x 10

The grip on my 24kg kb's is actually really thick - it is about the same as the thickness of my fat gripz originals so this is also a good grip exercise. will keep adding these in. When i work up to 5 x 20 per hand i will get some 28kg kb's!

(new exercise) eccentric accentuated bb curl

Straight olympic barbell (20kg)
20 second negative from top of curl
10 reps
20 second negative from top of curl

I don't usually use long negatives but i had read about this exercise in an article and was curious. Will try it for a few weeks and see if i notice any improvements

Last edited by DarthPenguin on Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday 10th July

Weight Session

Pushed from Saturday due to some family events

Squats
20kg x 10
40kg x 5
50kg x 5
62.5kg x 3
70kg x 3
80kg x 8

These felt good. It was unusually warm today for Scotland and i had been working in the garden quite a bit too so i was pleased with how these felt. Strength is slowly coming back up and depth is good still

Superset :
KB one hand cleans (reps are per hand. both left and right done) supersetted with close angled grip bench press. I have a football bar/multipress bar with slanted innermost handles

close slanted grip bench

50kg x 10
50kg x 10
50kg x 10
50kg x 10

KB one handed clean

20kg x 5
20kg x 5
20kg x 5
20kg x 5

these felt good. Could likely do heavier but was focusing on good explosive reps and a short rest time between rounds so it was good.

Kihon

100 x straight punches from horse stance

Added these in to get a little more done but it was boiling so i decided to stop there as main lift done

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday 13th July

Karate Session

Was a really small class again this week. Only 5 of us with that being one 3rd dan, one 1st dan, one first kyu, one 6th kyu and me at 7th. As before this is good for me personally as get a lot of chance to iron out issues in kata plus we usually do some more unusual stuff.

Warm ups

usual warm up and stretching

Kihon

Performed usual grade specific kihon but with more reps

Kata

Started on kata quite early in the class. instructor was just having us out in groups of 1 or 2 to practice our grade kata. Got some useful pointers on Heian Sandan to work on and worked on them throughout the session. They were specific fixes that seemed (relatively) straightforward to implement

pad work / kumite drills

We did few extra things this week. We practiced front leg mawashi geri and ura mawashi geri. initially working way down the hall, 'shifting' into the kick (bad wording for a quick transference of feet into kicking position eg left leg kick, shoft right foot in to where left foot was quickly while chambering left leg kick.). I used to do this all the time in a previous style and it came quite naturally, though my flexibility is nowhere near what it used to be, particularly in my right hip.

Then practiced the kicks to pads and opponents chest. Followed by a few rounds of sparring. I did most of my rounds with the 1st dan.

Kata again

We went back to kata and i got to check if i was beginning to omplement the changes from earlier in class. Comments were generally on other things but the instructor did mention he could see i was doing the bits he had mentioned which is good

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday 14th July

Weights session

Bench press

20kg x 10
40kg x 5
50kg x 3
65kg x 5
75kg x 3
82.5kg x 3

barbell row (no belt)

60kg x 10
60kg x 10
60kg x 10
60kg x 10
60kg x 10

KB Hammer Curl

20kg x 10
20kg x 10
20kg x 10
20kg x 10
20kg x 10

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday 16th July

Weights Session

Deadlift

70kg x 5
80kg x 3
90kg x 3
105kg x 5
120kg x 3
132.5kg x 3

Squat

45kg x 10
45kg x 10
45kg x 10
45kg x 10
45kg x 10

Fat Grip DB lateral raise (supersetted with squats)

5kg x 10
5kg x 10
5kg x 10
5kg x 10
5kg x 10

KB Pistol Curl

8kg x 10
8kg x 10

tried these as a new exercise but didn't really like how they felt on my left wrist (have injured it before) so i doubt i will do these again

This was an extremely warm evening (for Scotland!) at 24C so i tried to be sensible and called it here. Was pleased as kept up a good tempo throughout

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday 19th July

Weights Session

This was incredibly warm for Scotland - temperature was 32C so decided i would do main lift and get out as didn't want to make myself ill!

Seated Barbell Overhead Press

20kg x 8
25kg x 5
30kg x 5
37.5kg x 5
42.4kg x 3
47.5kg x 6

Final set was less reps than i was hoping for but still more than the 1+ programmed in. Am going to put it down to the heat.

Decided to do one more exercise to try it (and as i felt bad about only doing one thing!)

Straight Arm pulldown

25kg x 10
25kg x 10
25kg x 10

This felt decent to do. Cable machine needs oiled/WD40 but that was fine as it means i can use less weight effectively!

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday 20th July

Karate Session

Warm ups

Kihon

Same as usual but also added in ushiro geri which is one of my favourite kicks for soarring so was good to get some more reps in

Kata

Multiple rounds of kata. All doing Heian Sandan. Am happy now that i have the flow and just need to work on the techniques being sharp.

Kumite

Loads of rounds of this
Started with 3 unannounced strikes, any limb, taking 3 goes each. Then moved onto free sparring. Was paired up with 1st kyu, 1st Dan and 2nd Dan. Seemed to go well too

Kata

Couple more rounds of heian sandan at the end. i quite like the additional practice when fatigued at the end of class.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday 21st July

Weights Session

Squat

20kg x 10
40kg x 5
50kg x 3
60kg x 3
67.5kg x 5
75kg x 3
85kg x 6

These felt good. Could have possibly squeezed out one / two more if i really pushed it but the risk seemed more than the gain. I had planned for 4 as it was the 1+ set so happy to call it at 6

Trap Bar Deadlift

72.5kg x 10
72.5kg x 10
72.5kg x 10

Neutral Grip Bench lockout

60kg x 10
60kg x 10
60kg x 10

another new exercise. will keep this going forwards. Have been trying out a few new exercises in last couple of weeks to potentially add into plan going forward as i think it needs slightly rejigged
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 3 of 33
Jump to: