Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kkennedy219
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ShoriKid"] That just reminds me of something my training partner said. "If you fight a girl there are two ways to come out of it. You either win, and you beat up a girl. Or, you lost and got your butt kicked by a girl. Which do you want to do?"

Hmm. Wouldn't it be great if guys could just finally admit to themselves and each other that women are not less than they are? If a woman can kick your butt in spite of being physically smaller and with less physical strength, doesn't that just prove that she has courage, skill and mental fortitude equal to, or perhaps even surpassing your own? No shame in losing to someone like that, if you ask me.

Of course, no human should go around attacking other humans regardless of gender.

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that question has a lot more to do with what people think of men and women fighting each other than it does with sexism just on the man's part. Women tend to view any man who would hit a woman, no matter how much she deserved it or whether she started it, as some sub-human monster. That view is just as bad the way men look at them too.

Look up thread and you'll see several responses that are aware of this, or play into it on some level. Others have mentioned as well that the legal system takes a very dim view of a man striking a woman. Without video or a lot of witnesses, the woman with the black eye talking to the police is going to have her side believed faster than the man talking to the other officer sporting the same bruises.

Think about the number of public inciedents involving a woman berating a man, of even smacking him around. If you've been around long, you've seen it. Now, replace that woman with a man and ask yourself if that behavior would have started a fight. Or, reverse the roles and ask yourself would people have stepped in and said something or called the police? It's not right, it's not fair, but it is a reality that must be delt with.

Of course kkennedy, I agree with you. Randomly attacking other people is not a nice and social thing.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen about as many women arrested for domestic battery as I have men.

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll dig around for the stats later when I have more time, but that would suggest your either seeing a small sample that is out of proportion with the national average bushido, or your local is unusal. Last I read of it, the ratio is more than 3 to 1 in favor of the man being the arest subject. I'll see if I can find the numbers and/or article again.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if you find the stats, then you would be right. I was just throwing my experiences out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: