Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bratt
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We learned Gekisai Dai Ichi and Ni first, then we started some of the Taikyoku series as well as some Kihon Ido Sets

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei Harvey would start the young kids with the Tiakyoko but the teens and adults he began on Heian. When I started teaching I had mostly young kids so I choose to teach them to everyone first. I teach Tiakyoko Shodan, Nidan, and Sandan.

I have never saw any other. Those are the one's listed in Funakoshi's book. If they are 2 more for Yondan and Godan I would be intrested in learing this if someone can post the moves.

justb
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We worked on bunkai for Taikyoku (empty hand, weaponry, grappling) then learned the kata. Our style regards them as essential to development for a number of reasons.

From what I know there are 5 total Taikyoku, mechanically the remaining 2 that most do not know are similar to the other 3.

Thanks

B

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From what I know there are 5 total Taikyoku, mechanically the remaining 2 that most do not know are similar to the other 3.

B your a little off here.... I know 9 and there has to be at least 18 ( seen my seniors do some)

The ones I know are Gedan, Chudan, Jodan, Maswashi uki, Kake Uki, Soto Chudan, dai cho sho, dai cho sho dai, Maswashi Kake Uki.

Gedan, Chudan, Jodan, Soto Chudan are mechanically almost the same

Maswashi uki, Kake Uki are simular

dai cho sho, dai cho sho dai are simular

Maswashi Kake Uki As the name suggests this is a combinition of Maswashi Uki and Kake Uki. Altough it is conciderably different

Altough Taikyoku means first coarse (basic) Some of these katas get pretty complex (and easy to mix up) even though they all follow the same beasic floor pattern

I AM CANADIAN

Shoto Tiger
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

At my previous dojo we were taught Taikyoku Shodan, Nidan, Sandan, Yondan, Godan. I have never heard of Rokudan though?

Leaf said...
B your a little off here.... I know 9 and there has to be at least 18 ( seen my seniors do some)

The ones I know are Gedan, Chudan, Jodan, Maswashi uki, Kake Uki, Soto Chudan, dai cho sho, dai cho sho dai, Maswashi Kake Uki.

Gedan, Chudan, Jodan, Soto Chudan are mechanically almost the same

Sheesh! 18! How many ways can you show basic techniques?

justb
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of it is style dependent - but I have been told that there are 5, just like there are 5 Heian Kata & for the same reason.

Thanks
B

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea u must be right it probably is style dependant. I also do not know the orgin of all those katas so it is possible that some of them are foreign

I AM CANADIAN

Size7Gi
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Seido

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the age of this topic my reply may be purely academic, but here goes for anyone interested:

The style that I currently practice is Seido, having come from a Shotokan background. As part of the syllabus both adults and children start with Taikyoku 1, 2 and (surprise, surprise) 3. Although they use the numbering system ichi, ni, san and are not strictly in the order of Funakoshi's kata.

1 = Chudan Tsuki only - blocks Gedan Barai.
2 = Jodan Tsuki only - blocks Gedan Barai.
3 = Chudan to the sides, Jodan to the middle (of the embusan) - also intruduces fighting stance (Kokutsu) and inside block (uchi uchi).

Although I don't know the origin, many of the teachers intruduce "I" kata to the childrens classes which is basically Taikyoku 1 but without any 270 degree turns. After 3 punches the kata then involves moving backwards (Zenkutsu Dachi) for 3 punches, then repeating the opening moves of the kata.

After Taikyoku we are quickly introduced to Pinan/Heian and a group of kata particular to Seido called (not surprisingly) Seido Kata!

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is never to old to reopen an old thread if it is something that strikes your interest.

CheekyMusician
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My club teaches everyone Taikyoku Shodan for their first belt, and then teaches them the Heians.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: