Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not test anyone on the Taikyoku but I use it as a into kata for my adults. The kids see the adults doing it and they think they are on the same pace however we all know that is not the case. LOL.... I do teach the first 3 to everyone but I sort of get teh adults over them as fast as possible and begin them working on Heian Shodan.

KU
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate, Aikido, Kendo.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our dojo is the same as many we start by teaching the first 3 taikyokus and then move on to the 5 heians.
I have been shown 21 diferent forms of the kata taikyoku but it would take too long to list them all (honesty I can't remember them all). The only difference between each one is that a different block and strike is used in each different kata, so really you could make up 100's of different taikyoku katas using all the different techniques.

koji126
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CheekyMusician wrote:
My club teaches everyone Taikyoku Shodan for their first belt, and then teaches them the Heians.

Yes, same here. We start with Taikyoku Shodan then in the Heians.

kazuya Mishima
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Karate Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And same here in Mexico.

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The style I have been studying doesn't have these kata at all. We begin with our style's three own foundation katas which teach the tactics and ideas that are the basis of our style. Then we learn traditional Okinawan katas like Bassai, Kusanku and so on.

tenkamusou
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinan Nidan
Gekisai Shodan
Pinan Shodan
Pinan Sandan
Gekisai Nidan
Pinan Yondan
Pinan Godan
Saifa

and so on...

DokterVet
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shootwrestling

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Katas. Reply with quote

I assume that what you guys call Taikyoku katas are what my club calls Kihon Katas.

We have 20 of them.
To be graded to a white belt, you need to know the first four. Then you learn four more at each belt level until blue, at which point you must know them all (in addition one pinan kata per belt level (except white)).

The kihon katas just differ in the block(s) used, the attack(s) used and stances. The pattern is the same.

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I already said in our dojo we learn Taikyoku Shodan and afterwards Heian Shodan. The first kata is good for the beginners because it helps them learn and understand kata. Heian Shodan is a little bit hard to perform, because of that Tettsui and Shuto Uke. It adds a new stance, Kokutsu dachi, quite hard to perform. Thus Taikyoku is OK. They are not that scared I guess when it come to Heians. Just my opinion. It helped me too ...

gheinisch
KF VIP

Styles: Hon-Shin-Do - Shodan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We started with the three Taikyoku then Anaku, Wunsu,Naihanchi Sho,Sanchin,Empi Sho, Tsue Sho no Bo (Bo kata) etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

MuayThai Fighter
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: MuayThai,Submission Wrestling,Pankration,Karate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeaF wrote:
In my dojo we learn taikyoku gedan then chudan and jodan just like moo.

I did Goju Ryu and Meibu Kan karate for 12yrs.I remember doing Taikyoku Gedan,one of the easiest to learn but also one of the most painful on your knees.

I have 2nd Dan in Goju Ryu.I no longer do karate I now do pankration,a style that does both MuayThai and Submission Wrestling.

I learnt alot more about self-defense in 4yrs.of pankration then I did in my 12yrs.of karate.

I would never go back to doing Goju or any other traditional arts,because I've come to realize that katas are nothing but a waist of time,they are useless for self-defense.

I know some katas have hidden techniques which could work in a real fight,but very few.Besides most instructorsknow their katas very well but don't know the bunkai,I knew the bunkai to mine but that's me.

Katas are just pre-arranged forms,and away of fighting imaginary opponents, while hurting your knees after along time of doing them.Myknees have been screwed up since I last did karate.

I believe the stances in traditional arts would never work on the street,for example go into a shiko dachi stance and I could kick you in nuts or sweep your legs from underneath you.I might not be able to kick someone between their legs when they are in a sanchin stance,but how about kneeing them in groin?

Karate can be good for posture,co-ordination,focus,balance and some conditioning through kata.Karate is great if that's all you care about and keeping you fit,but as far as self-defense is concerned,it is garbage no offense,but it is true.

Think about it,in a real fight you won't be punching or kicking air or going into those weird stances.and point sparring is useless,in a real confrontation you are not looking to score points so why train this way.

To win a real fight you not only have to have good technique but you also have to be quick,be able to punch hard,block all types of punches,most of all you have to be able to take a hit.

If you always sparr points and have never been in a real situation,well if you ever do get in that position and you can't take a hit,you'll be going down fast.

Think about it,hitting with full contact gives best results,if it doesn't why is it karate,kung fu,and tae kwon do people never fight in UFC.

To win a fight you have think and feel like a fighter,basically you have to see yourself in their shoes.You have to know how they think and realize what can happen in a real situation.

In Pankration we learn and practice all our techniques on a class mate and apply them as taught and find other ways which it may be able to be used.When we sparr,we always sparr full contact never point sparring,we get straight to the point,no *.point stuff and no katas.

Hey budd,I'm Canadian too,but I'm from Vancouver.

ps. I used to compete at those Tiger Balm tournaments,but I'm higher up then that due to Pankration,I know fight in a ring.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: