Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some classes' formats change based on what the instructor wishes to emphasize that day (kumite, kata, pad work etc). Yet we engage in extensive pad practice and sparring. It is a physically demanding system that is beneficial for strengthening the body and for trading blows. I've only recently begun, but I've sparred every lesson. Although getting acclimated to receiving punches with full contact is difficult, it is also illuminating.

If attempting to apply the Shotokan point sparring experience to Kyokushin, you'll quickly realize that it is almost useless except from the advantages of timing and distance management. With full contact, we can punch everywhere but the head and kick anywhere besides private areas off course (gloves or no gloves). Several of the individuals I sparred with were chowing down on my gyaku-zukis like they were nothing.. either way, it is fun and the people are great and tough. Made me realize alot of things missing when comparing to Shotokan practice.

If you have knowledge of kihon and kata, you'll be at an advantage in progressing in the system from my opinion. The system has Shotokan, Shorin, and goju katas

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response - very informative!

I've always had a lot of respect for kyokushin guys toughness - i used to jokingly say that you never would want to get in a fight with a Thai guy as they would even tank a bat strike to the head and i place Kyokushin guys in a similar level of toughness!

My shotokan class generally spars continuously most of the time, but the lighter contact would make a massive difference in transition i think. Whenever i have messed around with full contact in the past it quickly becomes apparent why weight classes exist!

Are you finding that the training goes well with your bjj or do the physical demands clash a little?

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being completely honest with you, after putting more time in Kyokushin vs BJJ, I'm at a crossroads and am seriously considering kyokushin at this point due to physical considerations. The nicest thing I've noticed is the decrease in injuries from Kyokushin compared to BJJ. The training is not incompatible with BJJ; it is challenging in another way. I don't have a sore lower back, no joint pain, no neck pain, my fingers are returning to normal as a result of using grips less frequently, I don't have any rashes on my face, and I don't feel like I have someone else's sweat all over me like I do after finishing a BJJ class as opposed to a Kyokushin class. I absolutely like BJJ, but I can't deny that I did have some lingering worries about how my body would be after years of training. I always feel a bit debilitated after sessions that can last for days and weeks.

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please excuse my terminology; I don't mean to offend the more experienced (older) people, but I'll admit that after three days a week of bjj, I'd always feel like an 80-year-old with severe arthritis. I occasionally get asked, "But why don't you just train once or twice a week?" To which I reply, "I can't train like that in something Im really into; it's either I go all in or not." I can probably train for 4-5 days straight in kyokushin and still not come close to the aches and pains I experience after practicing bjj LOL but hey, this is just me and my opinion.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get your all or nothing principle, but something is better than nothing, too. You ought to just try maybe 2 days of BJJ per week. Having the knowledge of the ground fighting would definitely be worth it.

Do you do a lot of sparring in BJJ? If so, perhaps you could try to break it up so you drill one day and spar one day, and hopefully not get as beat up?

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I get your all or nothing principle, but something is better than nothing, too. You ought to just try maybe 2 days of BJJ per week. Having the knowledge of the ground fighting would definitely be worth it.

Do you do a lot of sparring in BJJ? If so, perhaps you could try to break it up so you drill one day and spar one day, and hopefully not get as beat up?

Yeah i second this.

From your post is sounds like you are (relatively) young, so i am a little surprised that you are getting quite so beat up at bjj.

It is undeniably tough on the body but i have always found it is quite easy to scale back intensity in sessions and make adjustments. Almost everyone who has trained for a while has things they are careful of and (in my experience anyway) wants to work on technique more so is happy to roll more gently sometimes.

Personally i rarely roll 'full out' as unless the individual is similar in size, strength and technical ability it is not good for one of the two of you (and since i am one of the larger students in my club i don't see any benefit from just smashing people).

Have you been training bjj long? Is a shame to stop training something that would go well with the kyokushin and as bushido_man says the ground fighting knowledge would be good to have

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, just a quick update: I've paused BJJ for the time being due to financial and family obligations; I'm embarrassed because I know I'm almost there with my blue belt, but I'll pick it up again. I was awarded my Orange belt for Kyokushin. So far, it feels mostly like a kickboxing class, with lots of different drills and combinations, as well as kata practice for the appropriate levels. However, similar to shotokan, they rarely break down Kata and instead provide broad interpretations. So far, I'm still enjoying it as a difficult art form.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R5ky wrote:
Hey, just a quick update: I've paused BJJ for the time being due to financial and family obligations; I'm embarrassed because I know I'm almost there with my blue belt, but I'll pick it up again. I was awarded my Orange belt for Kyokushin. So far, it feels mostly like a kickboxing class, with lots of different drills and combinations, as well as kata practice for the appropriate levels. However, similar to shotokan, they rarely break down Kata and instead provide broad interpretations. So far, I'm still enjoying it as a difficult art form.

Nothing to be embarrassed about! Life comes first, bjj will be there for you if/when you decide to pick it up again!

Glad to hear that the kyokushin is going well too

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only practice Kyokushin 1-2x week and supplement my free days with online training, but I believe I've really outdone myself. Along with Shorin ryu, I recently joined the Machida Virtual dojo. Both of these online trainings have been a great addition to my downtime and have allowed me to sample three various styles at a manageable pace. I'm thinking about writing another post about the virtual academy, but I don't want to come across as trying to sell them or anything; I'm just really happy things like these are now accessible to everyone due to modern technology.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R5ky wrote:
I only practice Kyokushin 1-2x week and supplement my free days with online training, but I believe I've really outdone myself. Along with Shorin ryu, I recently joined the Machida Virtual dojo. Both of these online trainings have been a great addition to my downtime and have allowed me to sample three various styles at a manageable pace. I'm thinking about writing another post about the virtual academy, but I don't want to come across as trying to sell them or anything; I'm just really happy things like these are now accessible to everyone due to modern technology.
What is that Machida Virtual Dojo like? I'd be interested in what kind of Shotokan he's teaching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: