Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:15 am    Post subject: Electric muscle stimulators Reply with quote

Does anyone have experiences using one of the dozens of electrical muscle stimulation devices with straps/pads? These are the ones that make muscles work with small electric impulses, with or without gel pads.

The technology has been around since at least the 60’s or 70’s and Bruce Lee, among many others, was known to have used them. Now, it is much more common and advanced. There is a huge variety available reasonably cheap for anyone to buy.

What do you think of these devices and his do you use them if you do? Are the results significant? Should they be used together with regular free-weight/body weight/ machine training?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used one, neither have anyone I know.

Yes, many benefits can become from using an electrical muscle stimulation device. For example,

*Increased muscle strength
*Enhanced muscle endurance
*Improved blood circulation
*Pain relief

With everything, there are risks and side effects. For example,

Potential Risks
*Skin irritation
*Burns
*Allergic reactions

Side Effects
*Muscle soreness
*Muscle spasms
*Tingling sensation

As a substitute for traditional strength training exercises, as with everything, there are the pros and cons. I'm sure that this device can provide many benefits, however, I can't help, on a personal note, to feel that this device can't provide me the same overall benefits as a well-rounded strength training program can.

Any current physical conditions or injuries might be aggravated or worsened by the use of this device. So, I'd have a serious conversation with my doctor before I'd use this device or any other equipment in my training regime.

Good luck.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that they are (likely) an example of marketing hype.

Through prior jobs and personal life i have had a lot of interactions with nationally ranked (in the UK) bodybuilders (natural and otherwise), powerlifters and a few professional sportspeople and strength coaches.

Almost to a person they would respond with laughter if these type of things came up. If these things worked, or even gave a 0.01% edge on the competition then they would jump right in.

Personally i would say that there are no short cuts. There is no realistic substitute for a properly planned exercise programme (be that with weights or bodyweight) with a clear plan for increases and progression. Gradually improving and building from there. It has stood the test of time (with the implements changing) for thousands of years really.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with DP. They aren't going to give you that much benefit. Easy doesn't typically work, and this is a case of that for sure.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would (in my opinion) work better would be to sit down and decide what you want to work on : more explosiveness; greater maximum strength; gain muscle; more endurance etc. Work out where you currently stand and where you want to get to and when you want to get there for. This has to be realistic though (eg if your max deadlift is 100kg it would be silly to say you want a max of 250kg in 6mths time etc.)

Then look at how you can get there - the training methods needed and the equipment needed. If you lack either then see how you can get there. There will likely be many methods to use so you can obviously tailor this to what you have available / are willing to source (what i mean by this is if your goal is to increase leg strength, you currently have a max back squat of 40kg, but no rack or barbell available but you have dumbell pairs going up to 30kg then you can just decide to do dumbell squats/lunges etc rather than having to do back squats until you max this out.).

Set some clear metrics for how you will gauge your performance improvements and if things are/are not working. Then go for it.

As with anything there are no shortcuts - similarly to martial arts, you can't just walk in off the street with no training and get a karate bb in 1 year!

Likely you already know all the above (apologies) but thought it worth laying out again anyway as is often good to hear!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From experience a lot of people who use these machines misuse them or weren't properly taught how to use them.

When I was at University getting my Bachelors Degree, we only covered the use of these machines over the course of a few lessons.

Not in terms of use by the general public, as no gym that I currently visit use them. But for use by Health Professionals (Not "Fitness" Professional) to help clients in activating muscles in sequence after prolonged periods of inactivity or injury.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One area where I think they could be beneficial is in circumstances where muscular atrophy could occur, such as a limb being immobilized in a brace or a cast. Being able to get some muscle stimulation going that way might be helpful in slowing the atrophy.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
One area where I think they could be beneficial is in circumstances where muscular atrophy could occur, such as a limb being immobilized in a brace or a cast. Being able to get some muscle stimulation going that way might be helpful in slowing the atrophy.

Yeah they would work for that population. In a similar way to the vibration machine craze from a few years ago. They were designed for astronauts to allow them to minimise muscular atrophy (the electric thing may help with the same) since the lack of gravity on space station made conventional weights useless. They were not developed to be superior to weights!

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use electrical stimulation, but not for building muscle. I use it to help with pain. I have a TENS unit, electrical foot simulator (for the soles of the feet), and I get electrical stimulation during acupuncture.

Again, these are all done to help with pain, not for gain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: