Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martial / Art
Is a recent phenomenon as when warriors (Martialists) became almost distinguished, the (Artist) was introduced for continuing on with tradition, also for health body and mind self development.

From what I was taught by my Sifu, is that in the distant past, martialists were internalist and the now today methods having changed in to external.

Knowing the difference between internal and external takes sensitivities beyond the norm to grasp fully.

A quick and simple way to understand with a few explanations, such as when light sparring.

While in the moment, your sparring partner gets hurt by you unintentionally, due to using less muscle power and more control.

As not trying so hard, movements become loose and natural; effortlessly.

Muscles working more effectively and efficiently due to taking the (tension) hand brake off.

Punches and kicks have more of a (relaxed internal) snap (heaviness) feel to them (metal ball with a chain connected to a handle) instead of an (tensed external) pushing (solid iron bar) muscling effect.

This is how I know when "Father" modern, muscle, external methods differs (as they reach a peak performance for the practioner and it is down hill from there) a short intense period.

However from the ancient "Mother" internal systems which are older and wiser, the practioner continues to develop continually in to old age, more often skills are developed and nurtured over a long period of time.

As for throw away soldiers, it is far easier to train them to become quickly improved, to be stronger, in the short run, than it is to be something far greater, softer, natural and skilled in the long run.

We know softness can penetrate the hard and that hard becomes brittle, whereas suppleness is closer to youthfulness.

A pick pocket can steal effectively, if is gentle enough crafty and not getting caught, this is internal.

A person that snatches a hand bag is an obvious example for the externalist, to use brute strength.

As one person doesn't alarm or alert intentions whereas the other does.

Another example.

External, clashing of swords is obvious and is destructive to the weapon and can break it, then what if the battle drags on and all that you have in hand is a broken sword?

Internal, dodging with being mindful and parrying with the sword, making it last longer to do more damage in the long run.

Martial artists have a choice today to have a short lived journey or a long lasting one, to gravitate to the way of the farther or mother, the wise Incorporating both of them.

John_newman
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Informative Post.
I am very new to karate and i was looking to join some informative forums and I guess I made a right choice.

Anyone here from Brea California?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John_newman wrote:
Very Informative Post.
I am very new to karate and i was looking to join some informative forums and I guess I made a right choice.

Welcome to KF, John_newman; glad that you're here!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
John_newman wrote:
Very Informative Post.

Welcome to KF, John_newman; glad that you're here!!

Yes, Welcome!

cheesefrysamurai
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it odd there are no Okinawans on that list.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some Okinawans for the list:

Matsumura Sôkon whose teachings are what became Shuri-te and the genesis of all “shorin” styles. He was known as an expert in the native Okinawan martial art, learned one or more styles of Chinese boxing from Chinese experts both in Okinawa and China. His social status and position as chief royal bodyguard also allowed him to become highly skilled in Jigen-ryu, the fencing style taught to the Satsuma clan from mainland Japan that annexed the Ryukyu kingdom.

Higaonna Kanryo is another very influential Okinawan. He learned his skills both in southern China and Okinawa and his teachings are the origins of Naha-te. He was the main teacher of Miyagi Chojun who founded Goju-ryu. In China he studied the White Crane system, which Influenced most of what he taught.

There is also Uechi Kanbun, who learned most of his skills in southeastern China. Most likely a crane style, which became the basis for Uechi-ryu. Of all the Okinawans, he is the only one known to have brought back a complete system virtually unchanged from China.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheesefrysamurai wrote:
I find it odd there are no Okinawans on that list.

Yeah, I was surprised myself, but not to much. Maybe it's Volume #1; hopefully a Volume #2, if it's being produced, will list an Okinawan Founder(s).

I do love Spartacus Maximus list of Okinawan Founders.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fathers of Martial Arts Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Macho Martial Arts just shared their list of Martial Arts founding fathers where they list the usual suspects: Funakoshi, Jigoro Kano, Choi Hong Hi, Carlos Gracie....

Anyone else who should be added to this list?

https://machosparring.com/the-fathers-of-martial-arts/

I'd add Mas Oyama (Kyokushin) and the guy who began full contact karate, which later became kickboxing (Joe Lewis?) and also whoever brought Muay Thai to America
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: