Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

frankunderwood
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kung Fu, Kickboxing, Krav Maga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Finishing a black belt Reply with quote

Several years ago I earned a brown belt from a school. Shortly afterwards the instructor left town and closed up shop. Is there any way I can get my black belt from another instructor or school - in person or on line? I just had one test to go, and I'm willing to put in as much work as necessary. I'd like to teach someday, but I'd hate to spend another ten years to get to black. Is there an organization that would accept my earned rankings? No one in my city teaches this style. Thanks!

liger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: RyobuKai (Shindo Jinen Ryu)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was he part of a larger organization? What style is it?

If he was part of the organization and reports belt rankings there is a chance. Yet most likely you will have to start from the begging. If he/she wasn't part of an organization the best thing you could go to the dojo's around your town or close to you towns and talk to the instructor to see what they will do.

Sorry I really don't have good news about it.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I would have the same question. Style? I have taken people in at same rank before. Just depends on the schools and style and your personal situation and if somebody will work with you.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good questions. If the style you did is a part of a nationwide organization, like the JKA or something like that, then your rank should be recognized by another school within that organization.

If this is not the case, then you need to start trying to find out if there are any instructors that your instructor was associated with, and see if they would be willing to allow you some leeway in attaining some if not all of your rank, and moving upward.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that what style and is it part of a larger association like the JKA?

My school isn't associated with a Goju association. As my sensei wanted to have the say over what is taught and how it is taught. He still teaches all the Goju curriculum as it should be but with his slight modification of timing etc. The closest we have to a larger association is Karate Victoria and the Australian Karate Federation.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't have any concerns if you belong to a governing body. If you don't...square one again...for a little bit; knowledge and the like will surface quickly once you step on the floor!

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also want to point out that you said you got your brown belt several years ago. At my school, at least, if you take more than a year off, you're sent backwards for a bit until you get back up to where you were.

I'd look into other schools in your area and talk with them. See if you could find a school with a similar style. Most likely you'll have to start at white belt again, but since you already know a lot and will pick things up faster, you'll probably be able to grade up more quickly by testing more often or even skipping belts.

Titanium
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado-Kai & Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has summed up your question.
Large organizations, the JKA, KUGB, UKKW etc allow grade transfer.
I understand that some do not operate like this though. I would recommend contacting the Dojo before attending to make sure.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titanium wrote:
I understand that some do not operate like this though. I would recommend contacting the Dojo before attending to make sure.

Hhhmmmm...

I've always wondered...why? Why accept a grade/rank transfer?? Unless one's already established in that grade/rank in that same style...JKA to JKA, for example.

If not already established, then shhhhhhhh...please put on the white belt and let's train hard!! Come to Shindokan and you're rank is established with the JKA, for example, then you're going to start at white belt and line up in the far back line, and with a big smile on your face.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Titanium wrote:

Hhhmmmm...

I've always wondered...why? Why accept a grade/rank transfer?? Unless one's already established in that grade/rank in that same style...JKA to JKA, for example.

If not already established, then shhhhhhhh...please put on the white belt and let's train hard!! Come to Shindokan and you're rank is established with the JKA, for example, then you're going to start at white belt and line up in the far back line, and with a big smile on your face.

Exactly. When I started Seido about 6 months ago, I put on a white belt and wore it with pride. I earned a shodan in a system based closely on it and knew about 90% of the curriculum for shodan.

A big reason why it doesn't bother me, apart from the fact that I don't care much about rank (been there, done that) is that I'm perfecting my basics/fundamentals systematically (not that I'll ever truly perfect them, but that's another thread). One rank/level at a time.

At my former dojo, a guy who was a Nidan in judo thought he should be able to wear that belt in our school. Why should his judo belt carry over into karate? He couldn't handle being told all students that are new to the dojo wear a white belt, so he didn't come back.

If he couldn't handle that very basic concept, I wonder how he'd handle other things he didn't agree with. I get the argument of how our dojo could have lost a potentially great student over one perhaps minor issue, but I think that issue speaks about character.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: