Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tone is only in responce to your comments. A 1st Dan in Shotokan, should have some knowledge to base his comments. Nor am I trying to overpower you, I am still learning myself, I dont have all the answers. But to come and ask us to find something for you, sounds more like laziness to me, as if we have nothing better to do.

Perhaps, if you find my comments offensive, you should not read them. Also I find your ignorance to martial arts offensive, and when I try to correct you, you take it the wrong way. Maybe you should revaluate what offends you. Then you might take on what I have said.

But back to your post.

Yes Atemi Waza, are strikes to vital points.

Tobias_Reece, thanks for the correction, but when reading books by Nakayama, I have not come across it once. Do you know of any good good Shotokan Bunkai texts?

Thanks

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kensai - i alike many other people are looking for guidance and help - is this a great sin, next time you ask for help shall i slate u down and call u lazy?
www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok people please calm down. lets just leave it at this. we must keep this forum friendly.
Peace out
Ps

firstly atami means strike and waza means technique. so atami waza is just a strike not nessesarily to a vital point.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys keep it friendly, we don't want this to escalate into something Patrick doesn't like!

Moobrack, no two schools grade alike. There are many different sub-styles of ju jutsu, and I'm sorry if I cannot help you, but I don't know what you are looking for! Just practice what you learned in class, and that's what you'll be tested on! Sincere best wishes!

Girls kick butt!

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx

I wont bothere asking for help again when it comes to ju jitsu - how am i spposed to know or remember the art which i train when the sensei doesnt tell us or drill it into our heads - we go and pay to learn the techniques and everything else, not the full fledged history of it!

It is taught to be effective in situations where it is needed, not as another school course.

Thankyou
www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kensai

Nakayami is frowned upon in the karate circle for demonstrating very simple application (eg. a punch is a punch, a grab is a grab etc.)

Morris and Trimble have quite a good book out, which shows lots of bunkai, but once again can be quite basic (nevertheless, its a great book to have)

A good guy to look at for bunkai is Ian Abernathy. He really stretches the ideas of bunkai - plus his video is pretty good.

Hope I helped

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have seen that book, although it is not on release here in the UK.

Sorry for my tone.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the Morris/Trimble book? If so, it is in release in the UK - I bought it from Borders

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one by Ian Abernathy, I saw it on Amazon a while back. But I still dont think it is out.

XpOiSoN FrEeX
Thanks for clearing that up, just reading about it in Total Aikido. Although I know what the word means. They are usually used against vital points or points to make an oppenent off balance. But I am sure that each MA uses them in different ways.

Nakayama is frowned upon? I have always heard that he was repected. But I can see that virtually none of his books show some more of the interesting techniqes in Shotokan.

moobrack, I am sorry for my tone, it is most un- Aikido of me, and this does not fall in line with the principles of Aiki. However, I find the history's, lineages and traditions are very important in training in the art. To teach one how to hold oneselft in society.

good luck with your grading.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moobrack, perhaps if you have some free time you can ask your instructor about the art, perhaps before/after class. Maybe he can even suggest some literature for you to check out!!
Girls kick butt!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: