Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

mips
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Good style for a 5 year old? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I am interested in having my son (5 years old) start martial arts, at least to see if he likes it or not. Not sure what a good style would be for him to begin with so looking for suggestions. He does gymnastics so he is very agile and acrobatic.

I've studied myself from ages 13-24 earning a 2nd dan in aikido and jujitsu before blowing out my knee and having to quit. I don't ever remember seeing children in my school near his age so I am not sure if those styles are right for him.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The teacher is more important than the style for this age group.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
The teacher is more important than the style for this age group.

Agreed, see if the instructor has vetting certificates etc to confirm he/she has no highlighted issues when working with minors or vulnerable adults etc. They call it a CRB check in the UK

any style can be good for a 5 year old

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judo is a good style for Children, it has no strikes and it is relatively safe in the hands of a good teacher.

kensei
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I can not agree with the Judo. I started in Judo and it screwed up my neck and shoulders so bad that to this day I have an issue with my shoulders getting hurt if I go ballistic with them.

Also the style does matter for two reasons, one if your kid is not into competition then a style that focuses on competition like Kyokushin or Tae Kwon Do will not be good for him and if they are into competition then Aikido and other styles that dont have a competition component build in will leave them dry!

But yes, the most important point for your kids will be the instructor. Figure out what your child is like what you want to teach your child in life, what is important to you and then go meet the instructors.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that at this age the instructor is more important...you want someone to spark a passion for the martial arts that stays with them-regardless of what style they eventually gravitate to. Tae Kwon Do schools are not all competition based-many schools offer a traditional program-and can be a good choice. I would would investigate ALL the schools in your area and ask a lot of questions, observe classes, talk with parents, etc. A legitimate program should be open to you inquiries and be upfront about pricing, realistic expectations of a kids program, and extra costs.....if not-run away!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echoing what everyone else has said, it's not so much about the style as it is about the right instructor. Pick someone you want to teach your child and something that'll be fun for them to do. TBH at that age they probably won't learn much in the way of proper martial arts but more along the lines of basic motor skills and a good foundation for proper classes later on. Many schools nowadays offer "little ninja" type programs for kids this age so go and observe a few and find an environment you think would be right for your son and sign him up

Also FYI, as ninjanurse said, not all TKD schools are competition based; many focus on the traditional side instead. And even with those that do do competitions, there is no obligation to enter them if you don't want him to (although I think competition offers loads of benefits!).

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta agree with the Judo being a good style for a kid. But it REALLY depends on the instructor. I had to take quite a bit of time off from my Judo training when I moved to an area with a not so good instructor, but they had a really good Tae Kwon Do instructor their so I picked up a bit of that.

Quality of instruction makes all the difference in the world when it comes to choosing a style for your kid.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look around to see what's available, and what will fit their bill. If they want to compete, kids Wrestling could be good. If you are just looking for some activity, many schools offer kids programs that he would likely enjoy.

Good luck with the search.

DaveAbramson
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above comments about having a good instructor. Sometimes instructors, even those with kids, have a hard time dealing with kids of that age. In regards to a style, I recommend taekwondo, as it goes well with gymnastics, balancing, shifting body weight, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: