Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Grappling Add Your Favourite Moves & Ideas Reply with quote

Imagine being asked to contribute to a list of ideas techniques and drills, from different grappling disciplines such as: Wrestling Jujitsu Aikido Judo Sumo, that could also add clinching moves, locks and throws from many other martial art systems.

What would you recommend to be on this list and why?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrestling's takedowns, from Folk, Freestyle, and Greco. All very valuable tools, and the delivery systems can be modified to fit needs. Also, the defenses to such takedowns.

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Wrestling's takedowns, from Folk, Freestyle, and Greco. All very valuable tools, and the delivery systems can be modified to fit needs. Also, the defenses to such takedowns.

That is an excellent choice to add to a grapplers tool box. I would not only advice the takedowns but the counters to said techniques such as sprawling and the wizard.
I would add throws and counter throws from judo. and there's too much to list from Brazilian Jui Jitsu too list that are important and useful moves.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pittbullJudoka wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

That is an excellent choice to add to a grapplers tool box. I would not only advice the takedowns but the counters to said techniques such as sprawling and the wizard.
I would add throws and counter throws from judo. and there's too much to list from Brazilian Jui Jitsu too list that are important and useful moves.
Welcome back, Pittbull! Great to see you!

I agree with you on learning to sprawl and defend the takedowns. A good takedown game is hard to stop.

With BJJ, I like the idea of learning how to improve position, and learning to be comfortable on the back.

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
pittbullJudoka wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

Welcome back, Pittbull! Great to see you!

I agree with you on learning to sprawl and defend the takedowns. A good takedown game is hard to stop.

With BJJ, I like the idea of learning how to improve position, and learning to be comfortable on the back.

Thanks took forever to remember my password lol. I like the being able to have the option of attacking from my back but I look at a lot of neutralizing my opponent from my back reversing the position and getting up in the mind set of self defense in the street and not hanging out on the bottom. if strikes are part of the situation you don't want to hang out on the bottom.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo every points made by Brian and pittbullJudoka have made, as well as welcoming pittbullJudoka back to KF.

If these important points aren't both understood as well as properly trained quite often, then no since in getting on the ground at all, but we all know that for the most majority of the time, fights end up on the ground. First thing used against us is an attempted takedown, and in the same manner, the when, why, and how to engage our own takedowns effectively.

It's all a game of chess; forwards and backwards, protecting our middle; when will we effectively unleash our own hidden attack...and then checkmate?!?!

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how we're having this discussion and today in my BJJ class we worked on takedown defense. From both uneducated and educated attackers We utilized both the sprawl, wizzer, and head control whether it was pressuring the head down or the crossface.

Grapplezilla
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Wrestling, BJJ, Boxing, Kali

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Prior to even starting to show techniques I would teach people how to properly fall, this is pivotal as many martial artists are not conformable being thrown and it is due to their inability to fall correctly.

1. I would start by teaching how to hand fight BUT with pressure What di I mean about pressure, it means that the opponent is moving forward, backwards, changing levels, resisting, and trying to counter for a good grip. I would start slow with just explaining each grip and then moving on how to move the body and the right weight distribution for each grip, and then gradually add more elements of pressure so the student would be comfortable attaining a proper grip/hand position in order to successfully attack for a takedown.

2. I would then teach a few takedowns that are high %. Slide by to single, knee tap, single to pry, double etc....I would also teach each takedown according to the opponent's hip level and more importantly the hip angle position compared to yours when going for the throw (an example would be taking a single and knowing when to go for a pry and when to switch to a double and when to run the pipe etc....)

3. I would then start showing them the fundamentals of BJJ, the 5 main positions, and work on how to maintain the position and defend the position to re-position. After this I would show very basic but high % submissions, not too many but good ones such as the Americana, Guillotine, RNC and perhaps Kimura. Later on I would show leg locks such as the heel hook, toe hold and straight leg lock.

4. I would then focus on wrestling par terre and ESPECIALLY focusing on 2 things -

a.) how to scramble for position - VERY important
b.) how to get back to your feet - which the scramble will be a large part of.

5. If there was a gi focus, I would start with properly understanding how to attain and defend a grip and hand fighting from Judo (Kumi Kata in Judo).

6, From there I would focus on takedown and throws that could work for opponents holding different level stances (not just upright like we see in modern Judo). Generally focusing on basics - Osoto-Gari, Ochi-Gari, O-Goshi, Seoi-Nage and Uchi Mata.

This is where I would start personally.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like these guidelines you've laid out. The world of grappling can seem so overwhelming to a newcomer. Welcome to KarateForums!

Grapplezilla
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Wrestling, BJJ, Boxing, Kali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I like these guidelines you've laid out. The world of grappling can seem so overwhelming to a newcomer. Welcome to KarateForums!

Thanks buddy, looking forward. This truly is a good forum, very open minded and a great mix of traditional and modern martial arts talk, loving it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: