Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now....let me tell you! Getting kicked in the groin is not a pleasant experience for a female either-consider that the nerve endings cover quite a large area????

Any way....as so eloquently put
Quote:
So for a kick to the man’s groin I’d use an analogy everyone could appreciate equally. My idea being that there are no men or woman in ma; there are only students

Can't get any truer than this....there are no "girls" in my classes only martial artists and a target is a target regardless.

However, when sparring in class, any student that strikes to the groin of their opponent has a lot to learn.....

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

JoiH
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaNurse-

Well stated!

"Victory does not come from physical capacity- it comes from an indomitable will"- Gandhi

akedm
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am enjoying everyone's opinion here. Thank you.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like tallgeese mentioned, no shot should be considered a "kill" shot, the guaranteed knock out. There really isn't any magic bullett. Sure, we can get lucky at times, but luck is the residue of design, so making sure that you have good strategies and tactics, along with good technique to back them up, your luck will come; or you will make your own luck, depending on how you look at it.

You should strike like your technique will take them out, and the strike again. Especially if they are still standing there. Don't assume....but don't go overboard and pummell someone on the ground, either.

akedm
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought it was a "kill shot", just an potentially devastating shot. I have changed my mind about the groin being off limits for sparring as I implied in my original post. You've all enlightened me. Thank you.

I still think it's a cheap shot and that'll not change I think. I believe if that attack gets close in sparring you should pull back cause the point's been made. Admittedly I lack the killer instinct I once had, so I'm sure I'm having trouble imagining the proper mindset for combat practice.

However if any students wish to volunteer for a 'live fire' exercise, more power to them. But in sparring I still equate the groin kick to an eye gouge as far as mindbogglingly devastating things students should not want to do to other students.

I'm glad to hear everyone's respectful of the restraint for that attack.

Rateh
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: WTF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a female, for those that might not know.

I believe that groin kicks are viable both in sparring and self defense.

For sparring control should be used as in any other technique used in sparring, control in my mind being that one does not cause injury or undo pain to the person one is sparring.

For self defense, as with any other self defense techniques, one should not assume that it is a "killing/disabling blow". Always assume that the person will still be standing and fighting, and be ready to continue.

granitemiller
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good shot to the groin will end the fight, although there is a delayed reaction for about 30 seconds but once the pain kicks in the attacker is done.

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it will end a fight, maybe it won't. Hard to tell. It's still a good viable target. I just can't stress the mental side of preparing for things NOT to work enough.

Even if he does drop, it's easy enough for him to get hands on you and drag you down wiht him to a ground fight. There's plenty of chemical additives that dull pain reception, making any strike that dosn't physilogically destroy joint function suspect. Then there's adreniline to deal with, it's entirly possible that a target won't even know he's been struck there until after the fight is over and he starts coming down off of the effects of being in combat.

On a different idea that came up over the course of the thread, I do think that there is a differece in having men and women on the floor. There are women that train on my floor, and men. The two often have distinctly different reasons for being there, and thus are more adaquatly trained for their goals by adjusting training accordinly. This is true individual to individual for sure, but I do fing a pretty common distinction between men and women in this regard.

It's also good to consider the physiological differences between the two archtypes and build around those capabilities.

Just food for thought from a differnt viewpoint, that's all.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure, JusticeZero. You asked for it! Just kidding.

Thanks Heidi, Danielle, Brenda, Kerry and Joi (and Rateh) for answering the call.

Good contributions, everyone!

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone's saying that chemicals and adrenaline will delay the registry of a groin shot, but isn't that true of all shots? And all pain compliance techniques? Just treat the kick like any other attack. Hit it but keep going just like you would if you kicked them in the stomach or the head or whatever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: