Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

How many styles do you think a Martial Artist can balance effectively and simultaneously?
19%
 19%  [ 8 ]
58%
 58%  [ 24 ]
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 41

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewEnglands_KyoSa wrote:
Montana wrote:
IMO, to do a system justice...ANY system, you need to focus your entire attention and spirit on that system. Dividing your time and energies trying to train in more than one system at a time is, IMO, not doing either system any justice. There's just to much to learn in any given system.

I appreciate your input, and can understand what you're saying. But i just have a follow up question, if you will...
What if the two styles compliment each other ridiculously well, not to the point where they are the same style, but they compliment each other well?

Yes, it depends totally on what your objectives in training are. If you want to be a MMA for example and enter that sort of venue of competitions, then you need to diversify and learn as many different techniques as possible for that sort of goal. However, if you want to learn an "art", then IMO, training under more than one system at a time isn't a good idea. Basics alone vary from slightly, to drastically, from one system to another.

For example, and I'm not pickinbg on any system here, just speaking from my own experiences...TKD and Shorin Ryu have drastically different approaches to teaching basic blocks, kicks and stances. They each have their reasons for teaching them the way that they do and the problem that you'd run into trying to take them both at the same time is deciding which one is correct for you...the student. Each sensei will tell you that their way is the correct way (for that system of course) and should be able to tell you why. That can cause a lot of confusion with a new student trying to learn both systems. They both say they're right, but both are totally different.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Bluetulipx
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, Kick Boxing

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well shucks ... I train in 3 martial arts ...

Why do I do this? As mentioned previously by other people, I think it very much depends on your reason for attending the clubs.

I admit that my progress will be slowed down considerably but that is absolutely fine with me as I am hoping the martial arts will be a lifetime achievement.

I train in Aikido, Tae Kwon Do and Kick Boxing.

Yes it would be nice to have a new belt colour from time to time, but what are the main reasons for me attending different clubs? For me, Aikido has many life lessons, and provides stress relief, confidence, great socializing, etc. It addresses how to use energy 'ki' effectively. When I discovered the concept of ki, the implications on my life were impressive. I find this a fascinating concept and look forward to each lesson to learn how this can be most effectively utilized.

Tae Kwon Do, brings out a different part of my personality, and the forms are a great opportunity for focus so that if I am struggling with other issues, I can stop thinking about them and turn my attention to the forms and provide my full focus. Also I find the kicking and punching to be interesting.

The Kick boxing class is women only (Aikido & Tae Kwon Do are mixed). This allows me to refine my defensive techniques and have a more cardio workout while having the opportunity to hit and kick pads a lot.

I also struggle to go to anything more than twice a week as I do not retain the interest. This of course doesn't mean that other people have the same reaction to anything that I do, because as martial artists know, each martial artist must find their own way.

Anyway, it is the best choice for me and I think it is great.

italian_guy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Formerly in Goju ryu karate (Nidan) now in Wing chun with past experience also in krav Maga, Kickboxing, Tai chi chuan (yang) and JKD.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarateEd wrote:
For me, I think two is the maximum. I don't like my attention and focus to be spread out over too many different things at one time. I guess it really boils down to knowing yourself and your abilities and determining just how fully you want to master each art's subtleties.

Ed

I agree and I add that they should be different styles otherwise it may easily creaty body mechancs confusion!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

italian_guy wrote:
KarateEd wrote:
For me, I think two is the maximum. I don't like my attention and focus to be spread out over too many different things at one time. I guess it really boils down to knowing yourself and your abilities and determining just how fully you want to master each art's subtleties.

Ed

I agree and I add that they should be different styles otherwise it may easily creaty body mechancs confusion!

There are some good points to this. For example, I have trained in TKD for 14 years, and now have maybe close to a year of Combat Hapkido experience. The Hapkido curriuclum has strikes and kicks in it, as far as belt requirements go. For the yellow belt, the hand strikes are the vertical jab/cross, the hammerfist, and the backfist. Kicks are the front kick, side kick, and back kick. The strikes are used to either distract/diminish the opponent when grabbed, or to finish the attacker after a breakaway or whatnot. What is nice about the Combat Hapkido system is that its main focus is on the joint manipulation/locking/takedown techniques. My experience in TKD allows me to use the ways that I have learned to strike and kick with the Hapkido techniques, allowing them to mesh quite well. I think it could be the same with Jujitsu and Karate, or even mixing the Hapkido and Karate. The two can mix or be autonomous, and it works well.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, Right now im training 2 styles. Karate and Kung Fu. The main reason is schedule issues. Due work problems i cannot go to the Kung Fu class more than once a week. I have a little more time a couple of mornings a week but the Kwoon isn't open until 4 pm. So i started to take Karate again 2 or 3 times a weeks in the morning, since i already have studied karate for a number of years isn't all confussing. Now, the karate school also offers Kendo and i've been very tempting to enroll in that class but my wallet said "NO". lol I'll also like to take Jiu-jitsu someday.
I think in the end it comes down to Desire, Capacity, Time and money. If you have all that, then you can take 3 or more martial arts. Just my opinion.

boyo1991
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: judo, tkd, boxing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh.. i say 3, but its pushing it.. but close...

humble monk
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to do 2 similar styles at the same time, and the similarities became the problem. I would confuse classes, use school #1 technique at school#2, and it got to be a mess, with instructors looking confused.
I think two completely different styles at the same time works out better.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many as you can manage at once .

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

humble monk wrote:
I've tried to do 2 similar styles at the same time, and the similarities became the problem. I would confuse classes, use school #1 technique at school#2, and it got to be a mess, with instructors looking confused.
I think two completely different styles at the same time works out better.

You know, i thought i'll have that problem doing Shotokan and Shaolin Kung Fu. but actually, i don't have problems, i don't get confuse or anything. Maybe because i've done karate for more than 10 years or because i can split my mind in 2, or i don't train both the same day..

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluetulipx wrote:
I train in Aikido, Tae Kwon Do and Kick Boxing.

Does the Kick Boxing really pose any style problems for you, or is it more along the lines of being a style that allows you to take the ways that you have learned to punch and kick and apply it to the Kick Boxing rule set?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: