Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: In The Hands Of The Unskilled Reply with quote

Martial arts weapons are often deadly in the hands of an expert but are more dangerous when handled by a novice; to both the innocent by-standers and MA weapon wielder.

Having taught kobudo for over 4 decades, I've learned one undeniable truth concerning MA weapons in general, as well as concerning kobudo students; a life can be changed in just seconds, both for the good as well as the bad.

Those who are unskilled/novices of MA weapons are their worse enemy because striking another person will prove to be much more difficult than striking yourself by accident, which of course, is much more easier to do and much more often.

Imho, the legal ramifications multiply expeditiously because they're more likely to injure by-standers than themselves by just playing with any MA weapon. Having said that, MA weapons are very dangerous in the hands of a skilled kobudo expert, but MA weapons are even more dangerous to the unskilled. Injury suits over MA weapons can have no good outcome for the unskilled in a court of law; injury is injury, no matter intent.

Then there's the other legalities; MA weapons that ARE legal. Well, there's not to many, if any, MA weapons that are legal to carry around on your person and/or in your car. If a LEO finds a MA weapon on you or in your car, you better be to or from a MA school and you better be prepared to prove it. If you can't prove anything...you're going to jail at the discretion of a sworn LEO. His/her badge has more power than your quick wit and guile.

Novices don't have the same respect for the MA weapon(s) as a skilled/expert would, and that's mainly because the novice thinks that MA weapons are toys...NO WEAPON IS A TOY!! It's a very dangerous thing and it needs to be treated with the utmost respect, otherwise one can by seriously injured/maimed or killed. Even the kobudo expert, must respect the MA weapon; getting cocky and sure of oneself can do just as much harm as the novice is capable of.

Remember...only a second separates one from awe/appreciation to deadly consequences. The MA weapon isn't a respecter of person(s); it passes its judgement without pause/cause!!

Please respect the weapon, seek a qualified instructor, and keep all weapons locked up for safety. Train seriously because a MA weapon is a serious thing!!

Having said that...I'd rather depend on my hands/feet over any MA weapon, even though kobudo is a big part of Shindokan.

Last edited by sensei8 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add on a word of caution to go with Sensei8 here, check your weapons. Pilots do pre-flight walk arounds before they even set foot on their aircraft. Weapons practitioners should do their own pre-training checks on the tools of their trade. Check for lose fittings, frayed ropes, gaps in chains, cracks in the wood. Any imperfection in the weapon can lead to serious injury of yourself or those around you.

I've seen nunchaku separate and go flying toward someone after a snapping strike. I've personally had a bo break in my hands after a strike and was cut by the broken end. It could have been very bad if the cuts had been an inch or two back. Just a minor imperfection in the wood was the cause. So check your weapons before you practice. It could save you a lot of pain and trouble.

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both solid posts above!

I think that his carries over to most asects of the MA.
The more skilled a person is, the more likely they are to display discretion in actually causing harm to another person. I put is as "the more you learn about violence, the less you want to be part of it".

When it comes to weapons, I have injured myself more times with chucks and san-setsu-kon than I have been injured by others in kobudo....

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the beginners are always the more care-free and dangerous in just about any task. They get excited about what they are learning, do lots of practice, then start to play around more, leading to a chance for injury. In times, this cools, like with anything, but its important for weapons to be reigned in.

Perhaps the best thing a Kobudo instructor can do is keep the weapons at the school, and only allow for practice with them at the school.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the sting of a mis-timed nunchaku very well. It's a good tool to learn patience and control.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post sensei8.

TKD is largely empty hand however I can totally see this being the case for beginner kobudo students. Beginner TKD students are the worst to spar or work with because they just haven't developed control over their techniques like more advanced students have. They can't pull a technique if it needs to be pulled, their strikes take unorthodox routes and so are hard to predict and they have no idea about distance or timing or balance. The same things, coupled with a lack of proper respect for a weapon, seems like a dangerous combination.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the Beginners are always the ones to watch out for in contact. They can hurt you if you are not careful. I always remember being lifted off the floor by my neck after showing a green belt a naked strangle! Be careful out there guys!

Kusotare
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Traditional Japanese Karate, Koryu Bujutsu (Jujutsu, Iaido and Kenjutsu)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group often perform embu (displays) in public and we use shinken!

It is vital that you know your weapon is safe to use.

For example, the blade of the sword is secured to the handle with just 2 wooden pins (Mekugi). Through use and sweat from your hands these decompose and can result in the blade flying out from the handle.

Wooden weapons are equally dangerous if not cared for properly.

K.

Bryan Sensei
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shorin-ryu ,Kobudo,Aikido,Jujitsu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traditional wooden Kobudo weapons always should be checked before beinging a training session.And should be retired after 2 years of hard training anyway to ensure no accidents or injurys happens.Safety is the best policy in enjoying many good years of training,and maintaining a school up and running due to the sue crazy world we have now days.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan Sensei wrote:
Traditional wooden Kobudo weapons always should be checked before beinging a training session.And should be retired after 2 years of hard training anyway to ensure no accidents or injurys happens.Safety is the best policy in enjoying many good years of training,and maintaining a school up and running due to the sue crazy world we have now days.

Solid post!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: