Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SoulAssassin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: MMA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Interesting, another Cop story.. Reply with quote

Another story from a cop

I got into trouble at school for defending myself from another student. One of the security guards (former police officer) Told me that you have to give a warning that you know martial arts and you are a certain rank and continueing to fight you would be classified as suicide.

Then he told me that I better watch myself Police Officers do not take any crap because he and a few other Officers went to arrest a Martial Artist while he was meditating and he jumped up into a Kung Fu stance and was shot on the spot.

I know there is alot of debates on this but I figured I would let you all decide and post your opinions.

True? False? I dont know but its freaky

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems rather ridiculous to me. Sort of like something I heard about: A robber broke into a man's house in England. The man grabbed a shotgun and threatened the robber with it. I don't remember whether or not he used it, but I do remember something else: People aren't allowed to defend themselves against robbery because it is too much of a danger to robbers.
I know I probably got some details wrong, but doesn't it sound like they're trying to protect the criminals here???

The entire point of having MA as self-defense is that an attacker doesn't know you have it. It's an element of surprise. Would you tell a robber that you have Pepper Spray before attempting to use it? No, because the robber would then know to defend against it.
Sure, you shouldn't kill your attacker, only disarm. Reasonable force should be used...it's the difference between shooting someone in the kneecap, or in the head. But (in rare instances) sometimes you just can't avoid it. It's a life or death situation, I'd rather have life.
I sincerely hope that your story is just a rumor, SoulAssassin...otherwise, we live in a sad, sad place.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea that is really weird, your american laws make no sense to me j/k, anyways that is kinda of freaky not sure what to think

I AM CANADIAN

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather be alive and in jail than dead and in the ground!!!

Seriously though it sounds like another Urban Legend in the making. Law enforcement is full of officers who make ridiculous statements in arrogance and ignorance. If you have a true legal concern investigate the laws of your state; then continue to train your body and mind for the next time when it could be a matter of life and death!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SoulAssassin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: MMA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

I am not making this up, and a actual security guard from my school that was a former police officer said that to me. Fact or Fiction I am not sure. But I see where hes comming from walking into some guys house and seeing a guy sitting on the ground (meditating) then he jumps up out of no where into a kung fu stance (not sure which one). That probley did freak him out a little bit, but there was no reason for him to get shot. If this is true then this is a sick world we live in. You learn self defense to defend yourself, not to just sit there and take a beating. It is like giving a police officer a gun and saying dont use it ever. You know if someone is shooting at them, they are going to return fire. That is what we, martial artists do. we return the fire (with defending ourself)

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something to be said for sudden movements, when cops tell people not to move. But c'mon...how close were they? If they're across the room when he stands up into a "Kung fu stance" that's pretty ridiculous. It's not like he's Ryu and is going to shoot Hadoken at them
If police want to start talking about excessive force from martial artists, what about excessive force from the cops? This is very disheartening information.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeygirl wrote:
That seems rather ridiculous to me. Sort of like something I heard about: A robber broke into a man's house in England. The man grabbed a shotgun and threatened the robber with it. I don't remember whether or not he used it, but I do remember something else: People aren't allowed to defend themselves against robbery because it is too much of a danger to robbers.

yeah i heard something about that! seems kinda rediculas.

jmy77
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: White Tiger Kempo Karate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father is a retired NYC police officer. He informed that most martial arts weapons are considered lethal and therefore if a person pulls nunchuks (sic), tonfa, 3 section staff or any of the long list of martial arts weapons that they are to be considered a threat too your life (equivalent to pulling a gun) - giving the officer the right to shoot. The premise is that if some one pulls such a weapon they know how to use it. As we know you don't make nice with these weapons.

As far as that you have to identify that you train in MA and that you can severely hurt the person - I have my doubts.

He may have said that b/c it is easier to defend yourself in a court of law that you gave fair warning.
[/b][/i]
"If you have to step on someone else to stand tall, then you truely are a small person." - ?

kchenault
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: TKD, little Hap Ki Do, Target Focus Training

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that were the case, you would have got more than a talking to. You do not have to let a person know about your training, but you can only use enough force to end the conflict. Anymore and you become the criminal.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The farmer was found guilty of manslaughter and jailed. I think he is still appealing (the media kinda stops covering stories when they get old)

But in terms of what she said, I have to say that I agree 100% with MonkeyGirl. (an unholy alliance )

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: