Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailor Sindbad wrote:
Shojiko wrote:
is Soo bhak do and Tang so doo one and the same?

My understanding is yes. Under Tang Soo Do's largest association (Moo Duk Kwan), the name of the art was changed to Soo Bahk Do. I believe "Soo Bahk Do" is actually trademarked, which makes it illegal for any dojang outside of Moo Duk Kwan to call its art "Soo Bakh Do."
I believe that is the case. I think they refer to themselves as the "Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwon." I didn't realize it was trademarked, but good for them for doing so.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To expound on this, Soo Bahk Do is much different than most Tang Soo Do styles you will see today. The technique is similar but performed with a different emphasis on hip techniques (offensive and defensive hip) and breathing. Tang Soo Do in my opinion is he least unified art because so many federations have formed that teach the art but do their own variation of it. As a practitioner and teacher of it, I loathe the separation and bickering about whose way is way. The Soo Bank Do example given is where a lot of this stems from.

I am a Black belt in the Chuck Norris System (American Tang Soo Do) and in Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan. My teachers in Tang Soo Do used to wear a patch that said Moo Duk kwan, while also having Tang Soo Do. It’s all very messy and will make your head spin. In the Chuck Norris System it’s called American Tang Soo Do for those not in the United Fighting Arts Federation. It also used to be called Chun Kuk Do. It’s Al really Tang Soo Do, like I said, messy.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that many MA, including TSD, are quite relevant. Having said that, my question still remains, is the practitioners themselves relevant enough to be effective??

On the other side of the coin, the MA to me is more of a want and not a need. In that, the MA might not be relevant as one might desire.

Any relevancy is up to the individual.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: