Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

moriniuk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Interested in all martial arts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to remember that the 'do' was for aikido.

Bruce Tegner's box set of books were the 1st martial arts books that I ever bought.

I didn't rate them and passed them on many years ago.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moriniuk wrote:
I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to remember that the 'do' was for aikido.

Bruce Tegner's box set of books were the 1st martial arts books that I ever bought.

I didn't rate them and passed them on many years ago.

There was a BOX Set?????

moriniuk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Interested in all martial arts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there were 4 small books. Karate, Judo, Aikido and Jukado.

The box had a picture of JKA Shotokan's Sensei Enoeda on it for some reason.

barrypardue
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of it will check it out though

AreJay47
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Jukado Reply with quote

My Aunt's, Shihan Jennifer Viernes, Husband's, Grand Master Allan Viernes, family ARE the founders of JUKADO, a blend of Judo, Karate, Kung-Fu, and Aikido. Their current school is in Westbrook Maine and is called The Greater Portland School of JUKADO. If you go to their website you will see the history of the school and its founder. Allan Viernes, my uncle, is the current Grand Master and his mother Grand Master Terry Suyom Mayer founded the art in 1972. Grand Master Allan Viernes is also a highly decorated veteran of the United States Army and spent his time as an Army Ranger. He is also an inducted member of The World Martial Arts Hall of Fame. In 2000 he was actually named instructor of the year by The World Martial Arts Hall of Fame. Now, some of you have mentioned Bruce Tegner and that he founded JUKADO, this is a mistake. Bruce Tegner formed a blend of Judo, Jiu Jitsu, Karate, Savate Yawara, Aikido, and Ate-Waza. What you have confused is Bruce Tegner's martial arts name, it is not JUKADO, his is JUDOKA. If some of you claim to have trained under him then you would surely know the name of his art form. The internet is full of some crazy things, all things considered it is still a great source for the truth. Do a little research and you will see for yourself the answers that you seek.

andym
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to correct you, but Tegner published his book 'JUKADO' in 1968.

Sorry can't post the picture of the front page on here.[/img]http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Tegners-Complete-Jukado-Defense/dp/B000J33VOA

AreJay47
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: No need for correction Reply with quote

I never said he didn't write a book called JUKADO I said his form of martial art was not called JUKADO. I was simply stating that his main form and expertise was in JUDOKA (JUDO). He wrote hundreds of books and pamphlets on self-defense for men, women, and children. His book on JUKADO wasn't a formal martial art at the time that book was written. JUKADO was officially started in 1972 and not by Bruce Tegner. So there was no need to apologize for the correction, nor was it actually a correction. You are right there was a one book written by Bruce called JUKADO, but like I said it wasn't a form of martial art then. Otherwise all his books would be titled JUKADO, if it were HIS martial art.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like 2 different people came up with the same name for their respective arts. It happens. One instructor founds a style in the same year another publishes a book on a style of the same name? Stranger coincidences have happened.

Anyway, judoka is a practitioner of Judo, not the name of an art. And how do you determine what is a formal martial art? Seems to me publishing a book on it establishes it as officially being a thing.

AreJay47
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Bruce Tegner Reply with quote

If I am not mistaken, wasn't Bruce Tegner's book Complete Book of Jukado Self-Defense published in 1974? He obviously had been training for many years in Judo and other various forms of martial arts, but his book on JUKADO was published in 1974 according to the book itself. This would fall after the year of 1972 when the first JUKADO school in the United States was started. That school was in Vermont and was started by Grand Master Terry Suyom Mayer. There was also a well known practitioner of JUKADO named Kevin Orcutt, a police officer, who was from New Hampshire that is well known for his implementation of self defense into police departments.

AreJay47
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: JUDOKA Reply with quote

MasterPain,

JUDO was Bruce Tegners primary art form and therefore he is a JUDOKA,
JUDO being the art and KA means person. The term was first became common place in 1949, well after the founding of JUDO in 1880. I understand that but didn't state it that well in previous posting, thanks for clarifying though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: