Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Jumping Jacks Reply with quote

Jumping jacks! What do they do? Can they harm Seniors?

I believe that Jumping jacks can be a pretty good cardio exercise, especially if you do quite a lot. Alas, aging joints can put the wrench in all of the get-better-and-fitter scheme of the jumping jack thing.'

Of course, proper Jumping jacks, and proper anything, outweighs a many of things concerning the body.

Just thinking out loud!!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumping Jacks or Star Jumps is primarily a cardiovascular exercise with a slight inclination towards a dynamic stretch for the groin and arms.

They can in fact do some damage to seniors IF there is any risk factor towards injury in the person.

In this case a Senior is above 40 (men) + 45 (women) as that is when age becomes a risk factor for a persons health when it comes to exercise.

So you would have to look at each individual to determine whether they are at risk of harm.

We have to weigh up the postives against the negatives to whether an exercise is safe or not per person

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
Jumping Jacks or Star Jumps is primarily a cardiovascular exercise with a slight inclination towards a dynamic stretch for the groin and arms.

They can in fact do some damage to seniors IF there is any risk factor towards injury in the person.

In this case a Senior is above 40 (men) + 45 (women) as that is when age becomes a risk factor for a persons health when it comes to exercise.

So you would have to look at each individual to determine whether they are at risk of harm.

We have to weigh up the postives against the negatives to whether an exercise is safe or not per person

That's a fair assessment across the board, thank you for that!

In Seniors, can JJ injury hips if done long? This being in the same thought similar to the belief that shin spurs are caused by a career of jogging.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Nidan Melbourne wrote:

In Seniors, can JJ injury hips if done long? This being in the same thought similar to the belief that shin spurs are caused by a career of jogging.

when you ask "Done Long" do you mean if you do them for prolonged amounts of time or other?

It can depend on the surface that you perform them on and the persons risk of injury. So it is difficult to give a straight up answer to give.

Generally people should be ok doing them every now and again. Obviously to those that are prone to injury may be likely to injure themselves at any point, especially if they have a family history of osteoporosis then there is that increased risk of injury.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Nidan Melbourne wrote:

when you ask "Done Long" do you mean if you do them for prolonged amounts of time or other?

It can depend on the surface that you perform them on and the persons risk of injury. So it is difficult to give a straight up answer to give.

Generally people should be ok doing them every now and again. Obviously to those that are prone to injury may be likely to injure themselves at any point, especially if they have a family history of osteoporosis then there is that increased risk of injury.

Yes, I'm referring to duration...sorry for not being more specific, my bad!!

The surface being important, is one I tend to forget because typography is everywhere; can't get away from it. So, in a dojo/gym, the surface isn't dependent as far as typography might be concerned because the surface is flat. Mats change that, as does a floating floor. But the mats, have some type of give, yet the bare floor doesn't.

So with that, and me speaking about duration...what do you think?

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duration will vary greatly, but usually better to be shorter than a few minutes (5 minutes). Because obviously doing them is in a similar fashion to tuck jumps where there is force going through the joints. But obviously the impact is lower in star jumps because your not going that high but still landing on an angle when you look at angular acceleration and deceleration.

Also how you land can impact and determine injury levels because if your going quickly you could potentially land awkwardly and stuff up a joint, ligament or tendon (or all of them).

Having an appropriate floor and your taking the motion at a safe speed then you should be fine long term especially with a good mat. But certain floors are a positive contributor to bone health and to a small degree joint health.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practice a variety of jumping jacks for agility. My shins are wrapped with a material rubber fabric fastened with Velcro. I'm almost 60 and have no major issues with my joints. Have had knee issues in the past, so occasionally I wear knee guards. A little preventative medicine helps alot.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your joints already bother you, then you have to be mindful of what you put them through. If you have joint pain, then explosive movements will probably hurt. If that's the case, then finding something lower impact might be the solution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: