Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Karate as a official College curriculum Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Can confirm, as a deputy for 13 plus years, and being employed with a sheriff's department for 16+ years, there isn't much need for a criminal justice degree. I especially despise learning how to be a cop by someone who's never been a cop, and that's the big problem with the criminal justice studies departments in colleges; they are taught by teachers who have never worked in law enforcement, but have all kinds of theories and ideas about how to be better cops. All theory with no experience behind it.

That's exactly it...especially the bold type above!!

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of a degree in marital arts, but many schools offer some training as a form of college credit. I took a semester of Jujitsu in college, and it was taught be a police officer who was a 4th degree. I've seen Judo, Taekwondo, Akido, and Tai Chi (took a semester of this also), as well as women's self-defense classes offered at universities for credit.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarateKen wrote:
I have never heard of a degree in marital arts, but many schools offer some training as a form of college credit. I took a semester of Jujitsu in college, and it was taught be a police officer who was a 4th degree. I've seen Judo, Taekwondo, Akido, and Tai Chi (took a semester of this also), as well as women's self-defense classes offered at universities for credit.

Is this not quite risky though - a semester of varying arts is just enough for a lot of people to become a danger to themselves - erroneously believing they 'can fight' and getting into situations that they shouldn't?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:
KarateKen wrote:

Is this not quite risky though - a semester of varying arts is just enough for a lot of people to become a danger to themselves - erroneously believing they 'can fight' and getting into situations that they shouldn't?

It's the instructor's job to hopefully explain this to the students. Also ideally, there are enough higher ranked students to help with the class that let's the others know kind of where they stand. In my experience, however, by and large, I don't see people thinking that way. I don't see it any different than a student who attends classes for a few months and then quits of his own accord. There just isn't much you can do about those people.

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:
KarateKen wrote:

I don't know, I guess the same question could be asked of the new yellow belt who is overconfident and thinks he knows more than he does.

I don't see a problem with learning, or trying out, different styles to see what fits the student. Hopefully they have the maturity to not misuse it.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarateKen wrote:
DarthPenguin wrote:
KarateKen wrote:

I don't know, I guess the same question could be asked of the new yellow belt who is overconfident and thinks he knows more than he does.

I don't see a problem with learning, or trying out, different styles to see what fits the student. Hopefully they have the maturity to not misuse it.

Yep it's exactly the same. We used to call it "yellow belt syndrome" in fact!

The difference i suppose is that in a non-semester environment you know that they will be offered more training and can get past it, plus the semester isn't an end point. In a semester course it is natural to view the end of the semester as "the end" and i can see that leading someone to thinking they have learnt all they need as otherwise it wouldn't be a one semester course would it (not that i agree with this mindset!)

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what's currently done in colleges in Japan or Korea, but if you could get a degree in martial arts, I would think they'd have figured it out. At least in those countries things seem more standardized.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interestingly i noticed this morning that a uni in Sacramento has just agreed a combat sports tie up with Urijah Faber's Team Alpha Male. Not a degree but they are saying that there is a possibility of future scholarships for the students.

Thought it was quite interesting!

dennis63
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A degree in a martial art? I don't think that will ever happen, and don't see colleges doing it. We here may find incredible value in our personal practice. Academics, in general, don't see it that way.

I recall a tiny Massachusetts college that had a Japanese Studies department, and the chair taught intro courses (1 credit, I think) in Karate, Kendo and Kyudo, as well as a basic Japanese language course.

The college had clubs if the student wanted to further their practice in the physical arts.

The college was very liberal -- no grades, and you got a mentor/advisor when you entered as a freshman and graduated when he or she thought you were ready.

The intro courses basically enabled the students to experience what the art was like in real life, rather than playing a video game or watching a martial arts movie. If you took the course, at least you had a small taste of karate practice and learned the basics in 14 weeks.

And those who loved practice joined the club, which was reasonably successful.

These days, colleges are very concerned about civil liability. My alma mater effectively killed the karate club, once the largest registered student organization on the campus, by constantly moving it to smaller spaces and later times until it was practicing in a tiny, dingy multi-purpose room starting at 9 p.m.

These days, if you mention the words "karate club" to this university, you'll get banned from campus.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, the University of Bridgeport located in Connecticut offers a B.A. in Martia Arts Studies.

https://www.topuniversities.com/universities/university-bridgeport/undergrad/ba-martial-arts-studies

"Although martial arts study is well established in academic life overseas, UB is the first U.S. university to offer a B.A. in Martial Arts Studies. Combining a range of liberal arts courses with martial arts practice, the program incorporates the historical and psychological dimensions of martial arts as well as other aspects of the sport."~ Page 38 in the UB Knightlines Magazine a publication of the University of Bridgeport Spring 2017

Not sure if the university includes a serious study of said martial arts applications, or just the academics. Academics without serious applications is akin to a rowboat without any oars...goes nowhere really quick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: