Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i prefer a plain white Gi tbh.

Have used black gi's for striking styles in the past and i just found that they faded really quickly and needed replaced more often as they quickly looked a little silly (in my opinion anyway).

Heavier grappling type gi's seem to hold the colour better though. I have a blue one that i like a lot but i have an odd personal rule that i cannot wear a black gi to bjj until i am a minimum of a purple belt. Not a school rule but for some reason i just think the coloured gi's look better on more senior students!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:

Have used black gi's for striking styles in the past and i just found that they faded really quickly and needed replaced more often as they quickly looked a little silly (in my opinion anyway).

Heavier grappling type gi's seem to hold the colour better though. I have a blue one that i like a lot but i have an odd personal rule that i cannot wear a black gi to bjj until i am a minimum of a purple belt. Not a school rule but for some reason i just think the coloured gi's look better on more senior students!

I don't mind the look of the Faded Black Gi. All it makes me think is that you have trained for a fair while in it it came like that.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
DarthPenguin wrote:

I don't mind the look of the Faded Black Gi. All it makes me think is that you have trained for a fair while in it it came like that.

Yeah fair point. It's one of these things that is purely personal taste i think, no real right or wrong answer to that one

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. There is a right answer. You see, you can now get gis with a print on the inside of the jacket. Which means that you can get your face printed on the inside of your gi jacket. This is the correct option.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
I disagree. There is a right answer. You see, you can now get gis with a print on the inside of the jacket. Which means that you can get your face printed on the inside of your gi jacket. This is the correct option.

For some reason i am thinking this would make a great part of a chuck norris joke : something like have his face with "Go Train" printed inside the gi and you never do anything else again other than train!

Just think how seriously good you would have to be though to carry off a gi with your own face printed inside it at training!

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would certainly be a good distraction tool during sparring. I can just imagine people asking after a fight "Is that... your face in your gi?"

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:

This just seems weird!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside of the jacket? Is that kind of like a tag so you can tell that that jacket is yours?? At the most I'd put my initials in the inside of the collar with a Sharpie. Yeah, does seems weird. I wouldn't want my face to on my jacket inside or outside for any reason, but to each their own.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people use them to put murals in. You can put anything you want and it's just a subtle bit of flair for a gi jacket. I'm just weird so I immediately wondered about putting a face in.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
Most people use them to put murals in. You can put anything you want and it's just a subtle bit of flair for a gi jacket. I'm just weird so I immediately wondered about putting a face in.

I can't stop picturing it in my head...as I'm getting submitted over and over again....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: