Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chi is a big part of Taoist religion and also Buddhism. It is believed that Chi is the source of all life. If a person strengthens their Chi, then they are improving their spritual self. - source "The Root of Chinese Qigong" by Dr Yang, Jwing-Ming.

You see, Chi was born of religion and religious thoughts of the Chinese people. Since then, the definition of "Chi" has changed a few times to suit the needs of people that believe in "Chi".

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this discussion still going on?

Rather than keep why not say that some people believe it, some people don't, let them believe it, let the other's not, and end this right here? Sound good?

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it's a good topic of debate. If we all believed in the same ideals, then we wouldn't be different people, would we?

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious Ken how has it changed?

babysteffee
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many definitions have to change occasionally to keep up with the times.

I know nothing about chi...or ki...or gi...but I'm off to learn.

Nice debate...I'm doing a degree in philosophy so I found it very interesting.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chi.. energy that all life flows from. Oh wait, or was Chi just bio-electrical energy? No no, another "Chi" person told me that it's an explanation of how the body works. Hmm, yet another person tells me that Chi energy is the bonding energy that holds the universe together. Chi is just another word for energy is yet another definition. Someone told me that Chi is just positive thinking. How many definitions of "Chi" are there? How many more definitions are going to be created? Another person told me that "Chi" is air. There is yet another definition.

Why can't a person come up with one definition and stick with it? Chi is interpreted as much as the Bible is. I think the next "definition" will be that Chi is all of the definitions mentioned above.. actually I'm sure of it. LOL

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different people have different ways of expressing, i.e. water is wet, water is cold, water is warm, water is h2o, water is a liquid, etc. You must also consider that translation is difficult at times...

"Another person told me..." come on Ken you can do better than that, your not telling me that you believe everything you hear are you? I'm wondering where you got this ever changing defenitions from, to make the statement, "the defenition...has changed a few times to suit the need of people who believe..."

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I speak chinese and Chi, if you use it in this way, dose mean air. The same word also means anger. Then again, chi also means energy.

"I am mad" "I am angry"
"I need some air" "I can breath air"
"I train in chi" "I can fouce my chi"

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Another person told me..." come on Ken you can do better than that, your not telling me that you believe everything you hear are you? I'm wondering where you got this ever changing defenitions from, to make the statement, "the defenition...has changed a few times to suit the need of people who believe..."

It comes from people such as yourself in different forums. There seems to never be a definite definition of "Chi". I think that Chi is interpreted and "practiced" in as many ways as the Christian bible is interpreted. It's really crazy.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people have opinions. .. and "definitions" for things they do not understand or have been trained in.

I think you are mistaking "opinions" for "definitions"...

I personally have given no defenition to date on "qi" other than the translation to english of "vital energy", and stating it is responsible for the healthy functioning of the body...which is far from a definition.

As I identified before there are some books you should read Ken...if you are looking for teachings about qi that has been around for centuries without change...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: