Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Xepher
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Kicker Always Wins? Reply with quote

Hi All! I Recently went in the light kickboxing division at our tourney. First matchs were easy enough. But in the final I thought I had lost, the guy I fought had excellent combo's , lots of control( where I kinda didn't haha windmill) and in the last 15 seconds had so many punches. But the main thing is I landed waaay more kicks , just single kicks and a few doubles , and a spinning back hook kick to the neck. Now I thought I lost but amazingly the judges went the other way? Now the point I'm trying to make is? In light kickboxing do the judges tend to concentrate alot more on the kicks that are landed than the punches?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not for sure how the judges would go there, but my guess is that they took some aggresiveness into account, and the placement of your kicks.

Of course, that is just a guess. Good job.

tempoman
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on the individual judges most of the time.
Were his punches having little effect (ie were you shelling/winging/choking them out? Unless he rung your bell with a few, then they do little to impress.

If I feel the guy may be better than me through the first little bit of the 1st round, I usually try to land a good kick or knee to fry their quad or hip so I can work at my own pace.

repz
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shorinji Kempo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its cause of your form, you said you windmilled, but was your kicks strong an in good form? Was the other guy sloppy in executing his techniques?

some0ne
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, Kyokushin, Kakutogi, BJJ, Shito Ryu(hayashi ha)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on the judges, and I've never been to a light kickboxing event so I really haven't the slightest. What I do know is that in most muay thai and kickboxing events I have fought in or had fighters in the judges usually sore someone that kicks and knees more then a prominent puncher.

nine_weapons
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: muay thai, judo, bjj

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

light kickboxing? what is that?

http://www.hesfit.com/men/comment/bodyweight-training-vs-weight-training-a-martial-artists-perspective/

Mrt333
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know what scoring system was used, but in some styles you're awarded more points according to difficulty of the technique, so kicks will score more than punches... ?? Helps to encourage more exciting fights....

Cheers

D

Johnlogic121
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Montgomery Style Karate, Ninjutsu, Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Judging kickboxing Reply with quote

If you landed more kicks than he did, the judges will see this as favorable for you. His punching may have been impressive, especially in the last fifteen seconds as you said, but judges look at the overall performance for the whole match. If he was rushing to land pucnhes in the last fifteen seconds that this might even appear to be desperation, even if he was successful in hitting you. Making a spinning hook kick to the back of the neck is very impressive, congradulations. I think upper body movements have an advantage in kickboxing, since they usually enforce a rule that says you have to make a certain minimum number of high kicking attacks per round as a kickboxer or be disqualified. This rule preserves the sport from being dominated by boxers who won't ever kick. Many tournament competitiors suspect that something is sometimes a little fishy with the judging, as it is an imprecise opinion that occassionally in nothing more than a subjective value judgment. Even if the other guy landed more combinations, judges in tournaments tend to count single techniques as a full point counting as much as striking the other guy three times in a row. This is just the nature of the way scoring works; usually they separate the fighters after a point may have been scored so that the judges can confer and give their opinions, but sometimes people fight continuously and the judges give an opinion afterwards. When the offense of both fighters is close, a lot of judges will consider the quality of the defense, and kicks are generally more destructive than punches, so it sounds like your performance just impressed the judges the most. I would not say however that the kicker always wins. In self-defense, I would predict that the puncher has an advantage over the kicker. In tournaments, strong kicking skills are typically viewed as a sign of diligent skilled training whereas punching skills are considered more "commonplace" abilities. Good luck in your next fight, -JL.

MooYeaDoKID
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: KungFu San Soo, Karate- Kajukenbou, and now MooYeaDo Karate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Kicker Always Wins? Reply with quote

Xepher wrote:
Hi All! I Recently went in the light kickboxing division at our tourney. First matchs were easy enough. But in the final I thought I had lost, the guy I fought had excellent combo's , lots of control( where I kinda didn't haha windmill) and in the last 15 seconds had so many punches. But the main thing is I landed waaay more kicks , just single kicks and a few doubles , and a spinning back hook kick to the neck. Now I thought I lost but amazingly the judges went the other way? Now the point I'm trying to make is? In light kickboxing do the judges tend to concentrate alot more on the kicks that are landed than the punches?

in most martial arts competiions Kicking is more points than punching, takes more skill i guess, oh yea and i give you props man, sorry but i havnt heard of a kickboxer who actually uses more kicks than just the boring roundhouse and frontkick, and rthen to land them like that, i think thats awesome, props again man!

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As in all competition, how the points are scored are usually up to the judges descretion. SOme will automatically award better for kicking, others for aggression and ring control, ect.

A ten point must fall to this problem as well. At the end of the day rack it up as a win and be happy about it. COmpete long enough and you will probibly have one awarded the other way that you should have won.

Good luck in future fights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: