Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it a little boring as well. I'm hoping that today's ep will be increase the tension a little more. That said, I think that the show does a few things really well. The shots that they use make the world feel like a younger Middle Earth. I think the choices of scenery and editing they did were great. I also think that they did a great job making the Orcs feel scary in the series. In the movies, the Orcs are the enemies that mostly amass on the other side of the battle field, or are so comical that you have trouble taking them seriously. Rings of Power does an excellent job making them feel like a threat.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:
Yeah the first couple of episodes were ok, quite slow but felt like they were building.

They really have spent a lot of money on it though - is very obvious!

I think there will be quite a bit of story building throughout. They makers can't assume that all the viewers understand everything about that universe, especially all this backstuff that wasn't as popular in the mainstream. It'll be a combination of story building, and getting into the action.

I know I've not read many of the appendices that the series is supposed to be based on. So far, the story has been nice.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having a 5 series confirmation from the get go really helps with world building. I've quite enjoyed it so far. Is quite sedate but reminds me of the books quite a bit. One positive to the appendices being quite sparse is it gives them a lot of leeway to flesh out the story.

Couple of things i don't like so far but that is the same in everything!

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true, and there is a lot of foundation that needs to be set for this. The appendices are sparse at best. The Return of the King was delayed as he finished it, and he couldn't actually include it in the first edition because it would cost too much. Despite this, Tolkien felt that the books were incomplete without at least some of them.

Largely what we have of the 2nd age in the appendices is the chronology and background stories for context in Appendices A and B. Definitely not a lot to go on, especially when compared to The Silmarillion, which the show does not have the rights to. There was a lot of heartache about this, but overall I like that we're getting to see the cracks in between. The Silmarillion tells of big battles, big heroes, and has a mythological viewpoint. Getting to see an interpretation of the stuff in between, and not just Númenor, is fun and it makes the world feel real.

Similar to you, DarthPenguin, there are some things that I'm not thrilled about. I don't particularly care for the romance between Bronwyn and Arondir. I would have preferred a slower build to that, with Bronwyn being someone who Arondir admired and then later began to love after adventuring with her.

Overall, I agree with Brian. The story has been nice. It feels like Middle Earth, and the boringness isn't necessarily bad. A lot of history happens in between battles and it's great to that at play. As a writer, I would prefer a little more "showing" and less "telling," but I can get over that considering that a large part of that desire for me is because I already know so much.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that the show has been finished for a little bit, and people have had some time to reflect, whats the general verdict?

Myself i enjoyed it. I think it picked up in the last few episodes quite a bit and am curious about the next season. A Few quibbles but on the whole i think they did a good job

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed it as well, and am looking forward to the following seasons.

I've heard a few complaints from others about supposedly messing up the story, basically throwing Tolkein's appendices aside? But I haven't spent the time to read them, so don't know for sure on that.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they condensed several thousand years of in book history into a few years but i think they did it smoothly tbh.

Also the 'stranger' that the harfoots meet is not included in the story for this time period at all (assuming it is the character most believe it to be).

I did like the identity they chose for Sauron though. It was easy to spot quite early on but i thought it made the season more interesting personally

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the story, but I did have some issues with it. Keep in mind, I've only read the main trilogy, The Hobbit, and The Silmarillion. I haven't read any of the vast amount of other material that have been derived from his notes. Based upon the material in The Lord of the Rings and its appendices, my understanding is that the elven smiths first created several lesser Rings of Power before forging the three elven rings. I also assumed that the Seven and the Nine were forged with the assistance of Sauron, and his identity wasn't discovered until after he had forged the One.

Likewise, in the LOTR appendices it was announced that the Istari did not appear in Middle-Earth until the Third Age (presumably after Sauron began to exert his influence in Mirkwood). I'm pretty sure that there was no mention of Istari in the Second Age.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aurik wrote:
I enjoyed the story, but I did have some issues with it. Keep in mind, I've only read the main trilogy, The Hobbit, and The Silmarillion. I haven't read any of the vast amount of other material that have been derived from his notes. Based upon the material in The Lord of the Rings and its appendices, my understanding is that the elven smiths first created several lesser Rings of Power before forging the three elven rings. I also assumed that the Seven and the Nine were forged with the assistance of Sauron, and his identity wasn't discovered until after he had forged the One.

Likewise, in the LOTR appendices it was announced that the Istari did not appear in Middle-Earth until the Third Age (presumably after Sauron began to exert his influence in Mirkwood). I'm pretty sure that there was no mention of Istari in the Second Age.

Your understanding is correct i think - they are some of the things they changed! The istari were definitely 3rd age and the 3 elven rings were later and Sauron in his other guise was directly involved in making them.

Didn't massively change the story though. The mithril origin changing is a bigger issue for me tbh but i'm just viewing it as a show that is loosely based on the books and trying to enjoy it for what it is
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: