Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kempocos
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: RYUKYU KEMPO,MODERN ARNIS, ISSHINRYU,

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disable the punch block or parry , counter strike or kick . then apply the lock during the lock take them off balance and to the ground, facedown if possable.

KSN DOUG I have no doubt during drills that is very pretty. I do not think it would work when intent and aggression are added. xblock a small fast moving target and main maintain don't you learn to retract a punch and the other hand is going to smack you fast.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow the punch back jamming it and take him down by the head. Follow the punch back into his body, stomp kick his hips, grab the arm and drop your weight on it. It's not that hard when you know how. Fight the person not the weapon.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kempocos wrote:
KSN DOUG I have no doubt during drills that is very pretty. I do not think it would work when intent and aggression are added. xblock a small fast moving target and main maintain don't you learn to retract a punch and the other hand is going to smack you fast.

Pretty or not, I've sucessfully used these type of techniques in full speed sparring. Perhaps not the exact one I described, but ones with the same principles.

However, I did neglect to state in my previous post that these are not jab type punches I'm countering, but the more powerful punches where they shift their weight forward.

Also, please do not read too much into my simplistic description. The x block is for beginners to grasp the concepts, and so I used it for the description. As you advance you are expected to use one handed circle grabs and mantis grabs of either the wrist or sleeve.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabs can be jammed as well.

kempocos
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: RYUKYU KEMPO,MODERN ARNIS, ISSHINRYU,

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comments were against using a X block as described. I will give you the brush grab type trap, I study Okinawian Kempo and Filipino Arnis. Makes a world of differance once explained further.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well also you are counter and attacking, while applying a lock. They shouldn't know the lock is coming, that's what makes it work. If you grab at there arm or hand and bring attention to it of course anyone will pull away. You kind of sneak it on in the moment and you have to have taken control of their balance first or else everything you do will be useless.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kempocos, I agree. But the subtleties of the "proper" movements are too difficult for me to explain on a message board. I'm too much of a "hands on" type I guess.

Treebranch, also a good point about controlling their center of gravity.

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: making standing locks work Reply with quote

aznkarateboi wrote:
I have lots of trouble pulling off standing joint locks during sparring. Can anyone give me some tips to making them work? I saw a similar thread on * which inspired me to post this thread

Most sparing sessions in most schools don't lend themselves to joint lock applications. Typically you are just playing tag, and even if you do grappling the attacks are going to be too hard, fast and direct. Joint locks work best after you've established contact and after you've hurt or distracted him. Difficult to apply, easy to counter, and if you do them wrong they don't work (that was deep, huh). Unless your style majors in joint locks, I wouldn't focus on them as much as your basics. Heck, even a simple grab isn't that dependable in a sparing match, let alone a lock.

However, if you really want to do locks, try learning to use a crane hand as a frictional pull to take his ballance and extend his arm. Coupled with a simultaneouse strike, this is very effectve and dependable, easy to apply onceyou get the hang of it. Try your locks off this move, but you'd better be quick, and still I'd say good luck doing it consistantly. Personally, I'd prefer to roll into an arm bar or, better yet, just hit him again.

kotegashiNeo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: goju/ Aikido

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another technique that works well with joint locks is bunting. I would avoid this one in the dojo but it works like this someone punches at you you parry the technique into a pointy elbow, capitalize on this pain and execute your most deadly joint lock.

jeffrogers
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Hakutsuru (White Crane Karate), Shaolin Kenpo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are pretty difficult to do. Especially if some one is has good snap or pull back. Traditionaly when practing technqiues. People step in and punch and hold there punch out there while the opponent does his/her technique. start with that and have resistance training. Meaning have your partner slowy pull back the hand. Work on shorting movements and angles to wear you can lock the wrist or what every your doing and in a smaller mount of time becasue your not using big motions. Also when you got ahold of a lock on them have them reistance the lock counter or something and pull away. This will help so you can keep constant pressure ont he lock by changing angles what not. Or just letting it go follow up with stirkes and go for another lock. Or if they are resistancingt throw in a strike to take there mind of the lock there for you can re-apply the lock. slowly bulid up that resistance by having your partner put more and more into it. Then try them in live sparring. some times it works if you go for the non punching hand or the hand that hasn't punched and try to be quick and lock it. Or throw in leg kicks sweeps to take there balance and take it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: