Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delta1,

I'm not familiar with the "crane hand", could you describe it for me?

Would it be anything similar to the "mantis grab" I was referring to?

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KSN Doug, yes, it's similar. Hold your hand in front of your face edge on so you are looking at your thumb. Now, relax and let the hand drop at the wrist. Bring your fingers together, thumb tip to tip or index finger, and keep that natural curl you had when your hand droped. That's the basic shape, though it shoud be modified for the application and to suit the user.

It can be used to trap, pull, parry, check, or even as a weapon. In this application it would be used for a frictional pull. The edge of the hand rakes forcefully along his arm, keeping it momentarily extended. Done sharply and with force, it will also effect his ballance- not dramatically, but enough to give you a brief moment to act. I like to use it with a simultaneouse strike, the pull comeing towards me, gets him coming forward right into the strike. Also, like someone else here pointed out (possibly you), this is not a stand alone action; you combine it with proper footwork and either set it up or use it when he gives it to you.

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played around with your problem a little before class last night. Another way to apply a joint lock is to pass his weapon, either out or in, then bring it back. It seems to disorient him enough that you could get a lock off of it. Fun to play with in class, but on the street, I think the only way I'd want to try it is after I hit him in the head with a brick.

jeffrogers
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Hakutsuru (White Crane Karate), Shaolin Kenpo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its hard also to catch joint locks if the person is just playing "Tag" Meaning point sparring with you. because they aren't really deciating the punch full power. Which if they do helps you out because its easier to stop the punch and grab it. But then again as I said before its hard if they have good pull back on the punch.

Also just have your parner go real slow and just throw moves out there nad try to do it that way then slowly as you get better speed it up a little bit
also good way is to hit him first then same time is stuned go for the lock. But remember they can be easily countered. So it isn't a "tap out" move as much as far as street self defense a quick snap and break it move so they can use it to hurt you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in a grappling art you'd see locks happen because of the way you move. If you are used to sparring by jumping around and tagging eachother it's going to be impossible unless you are really in fight. Locks aren't that hard, some are harder than others though.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delta1 wrote:
KSN Doug, yes, it's similar. Hold your hand in front of your face edge on so you are looking at your thumb. Now, relax and let the hand drop at the wrist. Bring your fingers together, thumb tip to tip or index finger, and keep that natural curl you had when your hand droped. That's the basic shape, though it shoud be modified for the application and to suit the user.

Yep that's it. (Sah Mah Gwi)

We also use it as a strike, with the wrist (Ko Gwuhn (sp?))

Last edited by SBN Doug on Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um, if i'm right, think of the bong sau position from wing chun.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: