Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Martial Art Trainer Apps Reply with quote

Do you use Apps for your own personal training, if so which ones do you use?

I use "Fighting Trainer" and "MMA Trainer" mostly, also many others.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't use apps for my training because it's a personal choice. Maybe it's an old school excuse to not use a app. I don't cast a judgment on those who do use a app to train with because, like I said, it's a personal choice!!

Last edited by sensei8 on Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use apps like this, either. I'm sure they have their uses, but I don't think I would get much use out one.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use any apps, i'm a tad archaic and still use Excel for planning/programming

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never met or heard of anyone who does, but the idea is good if some people find using computer technology can get them motivated to train or organize and optimize their personal training schedules.

As for a bad side of training apps or any apps is that people who use them tend to have too many of them and it they can become one more reason to turn into another screen-zombie addict glued to a screen instead of moving.

Personally, a good old pencil and agenda notebook/calendar is enough. Most of the time there is no detailed plan except picking one or two things to do and focusing on those choices. A couple of things (techniques, kata etc)is better than one; and one is better than not practising at all.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised to hear about the comments on using apps in this forum. .

Having recommend the two aforementioned apps to others in the field of martial arts and they are all very pleased with them.

Therefore I believe that those that are not willing to take a look at them, might be missing out on something very useful, but on the other hand, a person cannot mis whatever they don't know or haven't seen or used previously.

Personally I am only interested in what works and what is useful, having downloaded many apps and no sooner seen them, have deleted them, whilst keeping the best of the best.

Most apps on MA are totally useless but for a few others are real gems, which are the ones worth watching and using for training purposes, as they will repeat a technique a million times if need be, for those that practice alone.

I recommend apps to my students among otherthings, which doesn't mean that I don't teach them anything else face to face, on the contrary I want to expose them to as many types of hand to hand combat as possible and as many ways possible towards knowing MA from a variety of perspectives,

At the end of the day, An app is just a tool and with all tools in the right hands wondrous things can be achieved.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hammer is just a tool too, but it's not used by everyone all of the time. There are many other ways to drive a nail, for example, than with a hammer. The tool is only as good and dependable as its user. Not everyone knows how to use a hammer properly; choice always belongs to the user.

Imho!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the inexperienced holding a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Yet to those that are experienced hammer users want things in it that the novice will not notice, such as balance, strength and endurance just to name a few qualities that hammers and martial arts share.

If all App look like a plastic toy hammers, then practicing with them will surely be a waste of time for martial artists that are truly looking for quality instruction.

I use Apps with different intentions other than with just martial arts such as with languages and art.

My intent in starting this post was not towards persuading others to use Apps but to hopefully, that those that do use them, to recommend those Apps, that have been proven, tried and tested to be something useful to martial artists in general.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, as I always state.....To each their own!! If the tool they use helps improve one MA betterment, then who care because if a inner tube can help me with my MA betterment, then I'll kiss an inner tube for the rest of my life.

martialartsandfitnessuk
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Frestyle Karate & Kickboxing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys,

I'm new and really enjoyed reading all of your thoughts on this issue. Mainly because I have been trying to find ways of helping people get into martial arts training. In my opinion it doesn't matter what martial you train in as long as you train and enjoy it!
I teach regularly and have written an interactive book on kickboxing that links into a YouTube channel. People learn in different ways so some may prefer to have a book to read and videos to watch as a start, or as an addition to regular training with an instructor.

Now, I know that you can never beat training with a real life instructor but I think for a lot of people it can be rather daunting going into a new environment for the first time and have no clue what to do!

Thank you for a great forum where we can discuss these things!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSfUfmT0tqKyV7lL6rqOMg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: