Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jade Tigress
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Sil Lum Kung Fu, Sasamba Kali Arnis, Chin-Na

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent article. I am a Christian and study Martial Arts. I have never had a problem reconciling the two because of the points made in this very well thought out and researched article. I do know of other Christians who have been given a hard time about it or who would like to study but are unsure of the Scriptural view, and in those cases as Thruhiker mentioned, people have to decide for themselves, but I hope many who have concerns about it have the opportunity to learn what the Bible really teaches about martials arts and self defense.

One point I'd like to remind people about Jesus. Yes, He is the Prince of Peace but He was no wimp on this earth. He often had very direct and harsh words for the religious leaders of the day and he wasn't afraid to say it to their faces. He also chased the money changers out of the temple twice. The first time noted in Matthew 21. It says he overturned the tables and benches of those selling in the temple. These were not light little wooden things but very large and heavy pieces requiring a great deal of physical strength. Picture this...He was extremely upset and angry and went through the Temple overturning these tables and scattering everything on them and the people along with it. Not what you'd call a peaceful scene.

The second incident is noted in John 2. It says Jesus found men selling cattle, sheep and doves and others sitting at tables exchanging money. He made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle, he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned ther tables. Then he proceeded to yell at them "Get these out of here! How dare you turn my Fathers house into a market!" It wasn't like "Hey you guys, um, do you mind kinda moving this stuff outta here? Um, please?" He literally drove them out of the temple with a whip of cords and overturned the tables scattering money everywhere. Again, not a peaceful scene.

Jesus loved people and He never sinned, not even in anger. But He did get angry and took action against the offenders in a manner that most people don't think of Jesus in. He was not/is not a soft wimpy character who let people walk all over Him or was afraid to take a stand against what was right to the point of physically driving the money changers out of the temple. I think sometimes Christians think we're called to be doormats.

I'm thankful that in light of WWJD, we are called to love people and obey God but we can also protect ourselves and our values without fear of disobeying God. Though I don't believe we are to seek out or cause trouble, when we run across it we have the freedom to act on it.

kchenault
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: TKD, little Hap Ki Do, Target Focus Training

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen!

granmasterchen
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good article. I think this is very informative and should be read by all Christians that at some point in their life they come to the thought of whether what they are doing is sinful or not. If fully read, your article helps in understanding and clarifying and misconceptions or confusion one might have.

chopping*fiend
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I thought it was a great way to reconcile your faith with your passion. Good work!

Rokusho_Tao
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Youn Wha Ryu TKD(1st degree Green), Kendo (black), Judo (White)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the article...

I too am a christian, but I think that the bible means to turn the other cheek from mental or verbal abuse, much rather than physical abuse. Humans have an animal right to protect themselves and thier loved ones by any means nessicary...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

kchenault
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: TKD, little Hap Ki Do, Target Focus Training

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check that thinking. Humans are not animals, they are humans. That line of thinking can be very dangerous for a Christian to get into. Check your Scrpiture on rights that we have. I think you will be suprised how few, if any we really have. Now US law is different. Let's not get the two confused.

shogeri
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Instructor in Internal, External, Mixed Styles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Location: Chickasha, OK I believe that most of us agree that we should only defend ourselves when necessary, and use only that force in which to end a situation appropriately in a kind, just, and merciful way. Sometimes those situations will work out, and sometimes they will not.

I am an ordained christian minister, and a martial art instructor. I study both of these fields extensively. I just thought I would say some things.

Below is a post I made to a Christian Minister forum I belong to:

I also believe that most of us realize the difference between self-defense (preservation), and violence.

Here are some of my own understandings or definitions of the two:

Self-defense is the means by which we take action in order to defend our lives, and or our liberties. Thus, self-defense is based upon justificiation.

Violence are unwarranted, unjustified, or unnecessary, actions against another in an effort to end, decrease, or annihilate another persons being(physical, emotional, mental or spiritual), or the liberties thereof.

Here are some Scriptural references to wars and battles, and when we look into these stories, we find these actions are either supported, and or justified by God.

Numbers 31:4-6 (King James Version)
"4 Of every tribe a thousand, throughout all the tribes of Israel, shall ye send to the war . 5 So there were delivered out of the thousands of Israel, a thousand of every tribe, twelve thousand armed for war. 6 And Moses sent them to the war, a thousand of every tribe, them and Phinehas the son of Eleazar the priest, to the war, with the holy instruments, and the trumpets to blow in his hand."

Micah 2:7-9 (King James Version)
"9 Proclaim ye this among the Gentiles; Prepare war, wake up the mighty men, let all the men of war draw near; let them come up: 10 Beat your plowshares into swords and your pruning hooks into spears: let the weak say, I am strong . 11 Assemble yourselves, and come, all ye heathen, and gather yourselves together round about: thither cause thy mighty ones to come down, O LORD. "

Daniel 9:25-27 (King James Version)
"26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary ; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined . "

Ezekiel 39:19-21 (King James Version)
"20 Thus ye shall be filled at my table with horses and chariots, with mighty men, and with all men of war, saith the Lord GOD. 21 And I will set my glory among the heathen, and all the heathen shall see my judgment that I have executed, and my hand that I have laid upon them."

Jeremiah 38:3-5 (King James Version)
"3 Thus saith the LORD, This city shall surely be given into the hand of the king of Babylon's army, which shall take it . "

Psalm 144 (King James Version)
"1 Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: 2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. 3 LORD, what is man, that thou takest knowledge of him! or the son of man, that thou makest account of him! "

Proverbs 20:17-19 (King James Version)
"17 Bread of deceit is sweet to a man; but afterwards his mouth shall be filled with gravel. 18 Every purpose is established by counsel: and with good advice make war. "

2 Chronicles 6:33-35 (King James Version)
"33 Then hear thou from the heavens, even from thy dwelling place, and do according to all that the stranger calleth to thee for; that all people of the earth may know thy name, and fear thee, as doth thy people Israel, and may know that this house which I have built is called by thy name. 34 If thy people go out to war against their enemies by the way that thou shalt send them, and they pray unto thee toward this city which thou hast chosen, and the house which I have built for thy name; 35 Then hear thou from the heavens their prayer and their supplication, and maintain their cause. "

Zechariah 10:4-6 (King James Version)

"4 Out of him came forth the corner, out of him the nail, out of him the battle bow, out of him every oppressor together. 5 And they shall be as mighty men, which tread down their enemies in the mire of the streets in the battle: and they shall fight, because the LORD is with them, and the riders on horses shall be confounded. 6 And I will strengthen the house of Judah, and I will save the house of Joseph, and I will bring them again to place them; for I have mercy upon them: and they shall be as though I had not cast them off: for I am the LORD their God, and will hear them."

Zechariah 12:7-9 (King James Version)
"7 The LORD also shall save the tents of Judah first, that the glory of the house of David and the glory of the inhabitants of Jerusalem do not magnify themselves against Judah. 8 In that day shall the LORD defend the inhabitants of Jerusalem; and he that is feeble among them at that day shall be as David; and the house of David shall be as God, as the angel of the LORD before them. 9 And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem. "

Deuteronomy 20:1
When thou goest out to battle against thine enemies , and seest horses, and chariots, and a people more than thou, be not afraid of them: for the LORD thy God is with thee , which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.

Joshua 22:33
And the thing pleased the children of Israel; and the children of Israel blessed God, and did not intend to go up against them in battle , to destroy the land wherein the children of Reuben and Gad dwelt.

Judges 20:18
And the children of Israel arose, and went up to the house of God, and asked counsel of God, and said, Which of us shall go up first to the battle against the children of Benjamin? And the LORD said, Judah shall go up first.

1 Samuel 29:9
And Achish answered and said to David, I know that thou art good in my sight, as an angel of God: notwithstanding the princes of the Philistines have said, He shall not go up with us to the battle.

1 Chronicles 5:20
And they were helped against them, and the Hagarites were delivered into their hand, and all that were with them: for they cried to God in the battle, and he was intreated of them; because they put their trust in him.

1 Chronicles 14:15
And it shall be, when thou shalt hear a sound of going in the tops of the mulberry trees, that then thou shalt go out to battle: for God is gone forth before thee to smite the host of the Philistines.

2 Chronicles 18:5
Therefore the king of Israel gathered together of prophets four hundred men, and said unto them, Shall we go to Ramothgilead to battle, or shall I forbear? And they said, Go up; for God will deliver it into the king's hand.

2 Chronicles 25:8
But if thou wilt go, do it; be strong for the battle: God shall make thee fall before the enemy: for God hath power to help, and to cast down.

Psalm 140:7
O GOD the Lord, the strength of my salvation, thou hast covered my head in the day of battle.

Hosea 1:7
But I will have mercy upon the house of Judah, and will save them by the LORD their God , and will not save them by bow, nor by sword, nor by battle, by horses, nor by horsemen.

Obadiah 1:1
The vision of Obadiah. Thus saith the Lord GOD concerning Edom; We have heard a rumour from the LORD, and an ambassador is sent among the heathen, Arise ye, and let us rise up against her in battle.

Revelation 16:14
For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.

John 18:35-37 (King James Version)

"35 Pilate answered, Am I a Jew? Thine own nation and the chief priests have delivered thee unto me: what hast thou done? 36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence. 37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice."

If there is another way out of a situation then take it. Your mind is one of your most powerful weapons. Considered it one edge of a sword. The other edge is the Lord. Without God (that is divine justice and mercy), then you will never be able to use your sword in a manner befitting the sword. You could do harm, but your effectiveness in doing so is hampered. I believe that if you are going to learn to defend youself, then learn true fighting skills along with the principles of fighting, rather than just techniques. The same can be said for your belief and love of God. Go unto Him, and abide in Him.

Realize that we are changed through Christ, and peace, wisdom, and righteousness is ours for we are in Him, and He is in each of us.

Use this knowledge and experience wisely in all situations, including those that may required you to save a life.

Those are some more tidbits...

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

chopping*fiend
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more interesting quotes to ponder...thanks for submitting them!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool article. Lots of good information in there, that could be useful to just about anyone.

Dazed and Confused
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Past: TKD Current: JKD, Incorporating Silat and Kali

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm becoming increasingly glad I joined this forum. As a commited Christian considering ordained ministry in the CoE I have been pondering this issue. I really appreciate how open Americans are about matters of faith. There's a lot of stigma attached to open Christianity in the UK and while I do not shrink from that particular fight it does make seeking answers quite a challenge. I can only imagine the response I would have gotten had I asked the Vale Tudo instructor I met last week about the theological and moral implications of his art!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: