Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scottsplain
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Wrestling/Karate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i doubt even if i did surpass the political aspect of it all, it would still fail because the students wouldent be dedicated to what they were involved in. All MA take a very large amount of dedication, but i feel it could work as a option instaid of the traditional PE, where a some sort of special martial arts PE would be held.

angus88
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: hey to all Reply with quote

RDsynMBZ wrote:
i like all ur posts and im glad people can argue this point, i would love to go to that school where they taught martial arts too, at my school theres a lot of people i dont like there and to teach them martial arts i think would be like giving a demon a pitch fork, and i forgot who said it but about practicin martial arts but not saying u do is incredibly difficult i thinks, i mean i only tell my really good friends or nice people i know who take martial arts but i never say "oh ya i can break 8 bricks w/my head or beat up black belts" i say i do it but i just keep it like " ya i take karate its really fun" and if they(people) ask me kould i do this or kould i do that i just say maybe i kould, also a thing i would recommend not doing is telling ur teachers that u take martial arts cuz then they bring u up in stories and senerios but if u like that kind of thing then by all means go ahead i just dont want me doing martial arts to be exploited as hey i take karate i can kick ur butt, i hate that and you are about it leading up to fights and people sayin oh well hes only this color i can still take him in a fight, thats happen to me a couple o times and i just say ya u probly kould then there just like ......ya thats right (stupid jock laff) lol jk its a good activity i think do have at school but i think only for people who need it or are mature enough to handle it should be taught it, u know wht i mean some people are so ignorant there like " oh u take karate wht with like 5 year olds i loath when people talk like that or if u do tell themur in martial arts then they atart laughing.

just thought i share a few things on my mind,
-peace

Wow. I have no idea what you just said. But after spending way too much time trying to decipher your post, I guess you think martial arts would be misrepresented in your school and might misrepresent the person taking it. Am I close?

I think kids should have the option of taking martial arts in school. What's the worst thing that could happen? They actually beat each other up with technique instead of rolling around on the floor?

But alluding to something saintboxcutter said, I have serious doubts that it would cause people to go around picking fights. If anything, they'd show more restraint because they know what they can do. And as for people "not respecting the art" - kids don't respect anything as it is - martial arts probably wouldn't be any different. But it would set up the framework for respect. And that's good enough!

ShadowFox
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think Martials arts should not be in public just because in the public school I see they have a lot of fight developing in them. ANd I can only guess what they do if they know martial arts.....

ki master
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: muay thai, kung fu, soo bak, ju-jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be fun but I dont think schoos would want an example of fighting thats what their tring to stop isnt it.

innocui
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Go-Kan Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In britain, no martial arts or combat sports are allowed in schools- nothing. They're scared all us kids will attack the teachers

Spirit At Choice
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Cuong Nhu

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather see a manditory program on presonal safety than on martial arts. There is so much garbage out there on both subjects that it makes it difficult to know how one would even begin to incorporate either.

But I firmly feel that youngsters need to know how NOT to have to defend themselves more than they need to know how to fight. Granted, there will always be psychopaths among us. Knowing personal safety skills or martial arts skills will not protect us.

But I think violence would be more greatly reduced by an education in personal safety than in martial arts. I think martial arts is a good path to go down (naturally, since I study), but I think it has less value than street smarts.

A curriculum that teaches kids the common sense of avoiding dangerous and potentially dangerous people, and how to identify a potentially dangerous person, is more likely to be used in real life than the knowlege to take out a dangerous person's knee.

An in depth course that explores what leads to violence (such as, being with violent people) would be beneficial, and IMMEDIATELY useful. Unllike, say, thumb escapes (something a person can learn in 2 minutes) which may take months of practice to make truly useful.

It seems to me that way, anyway.
Rejoice and be glad!

Sohan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Karate-Do, Muay Thai, Shudokan Karate-Do, Boxing, BJJ, Hung Gar Gung Fu

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spirit At Choice wrote:
I would rather see a manditory program on presonal safety than on martial arts. There is so much garbage out there on both subjects that it makes it difficult to know how one would even begin to incorporate either.

But I firmly feel that youngsters need to know how NOT to have to defend themselves more than they need to know how to fight. Granted, there will always be psychopaths among us. Knowing personal safety skills or martial arts skills will not protect us.

But I think violence would be more greatly reduced by an education in personal safety than in martial arts. I think martial arts is a good path to go down (naturally, since I study), but I think it has less value than street smarts.

A curriculum that teaches kids the common sense of avoiding dangerous and potentially dangerous people, and how to identify a potentially dangerous person, is more likely to be used in real life than the knowlege to take out a dangerous person's knee.

An in depth course that explores what leads to violence (such as, being with violent people) would be beneficial, and IMMEDIATELY useful. Unllike, say, thumb escapes (something a person can learn in 2 minutes) which may take months of practice to make truly useful.

It seems to me that way, anyway.

Agreed. Good post!

Respectfully,

Sohan

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

marie curie
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan Karate, Kajukenbo, Kodokan Judo, Gracie Barra Jiu-Jitsu, Olympic Tae Kwon Doe

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they could teach sport martial arts instead of traditional- Olympic Style TKD or Olympic Style Judo?

I hear what someone said about kids with behaviour problems attacting teachers (my mother is a 4th grade teacher and has been attacked by small children twice). One certainly cannot say, "If you have this disorder, you cannot participate in this activity." Hmm...

Maybe not like in P.E. class, but as a sport. Sports teams have always been allowed to kick kids off the team for bad behaviour. This way, the kid will at least have a chance to prove him/her self as well-behaved enough to participate.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
-Lao Tzu
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Heather Smyth
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TaeKwonDo

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: It Will Work Reply with quote

I teach an afterschool program for 8 of the 14 middle schools in the county I live in. We offer a kick the habbit program offering TKD to kids as a way to keep them off drugs. We hold a county wide competition once a year and divide the proceeds between the schools. It is a great program and very accepted here in the South.

Heather

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the $$ issue. Even if instruction services were provided free of charge, there's insurance costs, liability concerns, equipment and facility issues. This when many schools seem to be struggling to make ends meet. Also, you'd have to teach something that isn't so stereotyped as combat skills as most schools would dismiss such things out of hand as too dangerous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: