Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Most beneficial lifts Reply with quote

I thought that it might be a good idea to start a thread with people's best exercises / lifts and how they translate to martial arts performance.

Most of us (i think) have a limited amount of time to train so it makes sense to seek out exercises with the most 'bang for your buck' or with the largest benefit and least negative impact of martial arts training (i'm thinking here that you don't want to do anything that totally wipes you out and prevents you stepping on the mats / floor).

I will go first (since i started the thread it only seems fair!)

For grappling the most effective exercise i have found (by far) is the barbell power snatch from a hang. Whenever i program this in i notice an almost immediate improvement in hip explosiveness when grappling. In second place i would put the deadlift for the overall strength increases, grip strength benefits and hi strength.

For striking i personally find that barbell squats and explosive bench presses with a close grip work well for me. Barbell squats to work on leg strength and abdominal tightness when moving (i always notice that when i squat heavily regularly my ability to 'tense' for an abdominal strike is much better). Explosive close grip bench always benefits my punch power. I like to try and feel like the weight is being thrown into the air and i am having to catch it and bring it down.

I've never really found much benefit from weighted glute raises/bridges. I just find it really uncomfortable to get under the bar for the hip thrust and i don't think it strengthens anything i can't strengthen from deadlifts

I'm interested to hear what other people like, or even what they find to be worthless!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found over the years that the basic barbell exercises offer the most bang for the buck. They make everything stronger. The squat, bench press, press, and deadlift, primarily, along with power movements like the power clean and power snatch, if knees allow for these to be done. The main exercises provide an overall development in strength (which is an overall general physical adaptation that makes everything better). And they apply to everyday needs, too, and not just Martial Arts or other sports development.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i agree totally. I was just curious if people had any favourite exercises plus (if i'm honest) i thought it might be a good topic to get some conversation flowing, or for someone a bit shyer might present them with some (hopefully) useful ideas

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was able to do more Olympic lifting, I did the snatch some, but really like to do the clean & jerk. Basically, anything I could do overhead, I was trying to do it. I hadn't broken into doing any jerks yet, but I love to do the overhead lifts.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the typical powerlifting and Olympic lifting exercises, but I will also add that I LOVE landmine barbell exercises, and kettlebells can be a fun addition, as well.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never actually tried any landmine exercises - is a landmine attachment something you would recommend purchasing then?

Kettlebells are good too. have enjoyed using them for years - have a few at home but want to get some more. I used to like using heavy ones for farmers walks too

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:
I've never actually tried any landmine exercises - is a landmine attachment something you would recommend purchasing then?

Kettlebells are good too. have enjoyed using them for years - have a few at home but want to get some more. I used to like using heavy ones for farmers walks too

I would, yes. You can either get ones that attach to a wall or frame, or you can get the ones that you just put into a stack of weight plates. They are pretty versatile, and are a good way to mix things up.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it might be a good investment - i'll add it to my list

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to stick with the basic barbell exercises: squat (both front & back), OH press, bench press, row and deadlift

But I do find I feel much better when I incorporate bodyweight skills also including push up progressions, squats - pistol squats plus plyometric jumping.

If you don't have access to weights then banded exercises are also great.

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking to build strength, big, compound lifts are the way to go. Bench press, Overhead press, Deadlift, and Squat. Look into the "Starting Strength" program by Mark Rippetoe - it's about building functional strength quickly.

If you don't have the space for a barbell setup, you can get a lot of benefit from kettlebells as well. Check out "Enter the Kettlebell" sometime.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: