Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordtariel wrote:
Maybe martial artists should petition to remove the ban.

This is a good idea.

NY_Karatedork
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shorin-Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the people of New York City had that law made because of all the Yakuza there and I guess it is to keep fighting down or something but since it's still on the books I can't buy a pair of nunchuckus from Century or any other martial arts equipment site.

NightOwl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Working on Judo and BJJ

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I doubt it is because of Yakuza- they aren't really all that bad as far as violence goes (and their significance has gone down by a lot since the Japanese government finally started to at least pretend that they won't tolerate them anymore), and if they wanted to use a weapon in the states a gun would make a lot more sense. Regardless, it is a silly law especially seeing how even in places where 'chucks are legal you'd be hard pressed to find cases where they were used in a crime.

~Theodore Roosevelt

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordtariel wrote:
obiwansbane wrote:
here in canada, a nunchuck is defined as any 2 none bendable items connected by a length of rope, string, chain, etc.

They are illegal. To what extent (like you cant buy them, or you can't carry them around etc) i don't know. But those guiding things they use in banks to make a line? oh yah... those are nunchucks.... illegal weapons in a bank... thats just asking for a robbery...

So Nintendo's "Wii chucks" are illegal? They're a remote and game controller connected by a cord.

Great point lordtariel! I guess the only thing to do is to have all Canadians and New Yorkers send their Wii and Wii accessories to me. I'll see to it that they are properly taken care of Afteall, the controller is called the "nunchuck" attachment. We have ways to deal with such things in Ohio.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps1 wrote:
lordtariel wrote:
obiwansbane wrote:
here in canada, a nunchuck is defined as any 2 none bendable items connected by a length of rope, string, chain, etc.

They are illegal. To what extent (like you cant buy them, or you can't carry them around etc) i don't know. But those guiding things they use in banks to make a line? oh yah... those are nunchucks.... illegal weapons in a bank... thats just asking for a robbery...

So Nintendo's "Wii chucks" are illegal? They're a remote and game controller connected by a cord.

Great point lordtariel! I guess the only thing to do is to have all Canadians and New Yorkers send their Wii and Wii accessories to me. I'll see to it that they are properly taken care of Afteall, the controller is called the "nunchuck" attachment. We have ways to deal with such things in Ohio.

My, that is mighty kind of you to take on that task, ps1!!

NY_Karatedork
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shorin-Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard some good news for us nunchuckers, a lawyer is trying to get this evil law taken off the books for people who want to own nunchucks in their home, and whatever, but I think it'd still make chucks illegal in you walk around with them, sorta to carrying a sword outside. But one problem is that this little tadbit of info came from Wikipedia so don't hold me to this cause it could be false.

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be cool if it is actually going through. We should look further into it and see if it's actually happening. Then do all we can to support it.

KarateEd
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess MA schools in NY and Canada just forgo teaching nunchucks at all, seeing as how you can't legally purchase them in order to practice?

Ed

Chuilli, Kyo Sah Nim
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do/Chinese Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i live in mass and have the same problem, its rediculous
Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do

Sensei Rick
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably did it to protect people that USE chucks as a weapon. They are more dangerous to the person swinging them, than to the person they are being swung at. This is simply the worst weapon I can think of. That discovery channel martial arts show, proved this, by having an “expert” swing only to discover he wasn’t as good as he thought and the recoil time and risk of self injury proved them to be very flawed as an offensive weapon.

Here in phoenix, I have seen police carrying them now, only there are all black and professional looking like there “tonfa” (P38’s or something there called) I have used them for joint lock application and they seem very effective. I just prefer my hand for that.

I maintain that these laws are there to protect people, mainly the martial artist that bonks himself in the head with a pair of chucks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: