Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

junkie23
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i just started taekwondo training for 2 months at first it started out alright but then i noticed some pain at the back of the leg extending to my left thigh:bawling: what seems to be the problem? and what can i do?
Thanks

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"learn to live with pain" Brian Fitzpatrick New Zealand undefeated Chamion 1976

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nice heating pad and some slow stretching might help. You might find some good tips over in the "Health and Fitness" forum as well. Sound like you may have just overdone it a little.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to live in pain .... What kind of advice is that??!!
Take precautionary measures to avoid pain! What you have done is the most common injury I have seen in class ....the hamstring pull. I pulled one so bad one time that you could actually hear the 'tear' as I kicked.
Make sure you are warming up properly especially for TKD kicking. Perform dynamic stretching (you'll see tips in this section Health & Fitness .... and make sure you do some aerobic activity (jog, jump, jumping/korean jacks) to warm up the muscles. (Look at the noodle theory posted in H&F) Check out these posts to help you out in the H & F forum ..... "What are the best stretches" and ..."Flexibility Determination".
Also when something like this happens again....(and hopefully with the advice given it won't!) ....immmediately go home elevate/rest and ice the area (sit on an ice pack).....followup after that with heat (pad, hot tub)

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Balm!!! Elixer of the Karate Gods!!!

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drink plenty fluids - I find beer helps with the pain, as does a nice glass of Laphroaig

An Iboprofen based pain killer will help bring the swelling in the damaged area down.

..... and take it easy training for a while (yeah right, like I do - NOT)

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey shotochem.....I completely forgot about that Tiger Balm! ... and you're right!
Just a quick FYI for all of you on tiger balm. When you run out of the stuff (as almost always happens just when you need it!) .... you can make your own!
Check this out ... just be sure your kids don't go by the stove and take a lick as you are preparing the stuff
Tiger Balm is the oriental version of Ben Gay or Vicks. Take a small jar of Vaseline, a small jar of Vicks, cayenne red pepper (it's somewhere in the kitchen on your spice rack) and either dried red chilli peppers (most gourmet stores have them) or red chilli peppers that have already been bottled (they're probably next to the cayenne pepper).
Put the Vaseline in a pot and melt it on the stove at low heat.
Add two or three tablespoons of Vicks...depending on how smelly and mentholly you want it...until that also is melted.
Grind up the red pepper until it's a powder, mix it with the cayenne pepper and add to the melted Vaseline.
While in its liquid state, repour it back into a jar and let cool.
I did not mention the quantities of either the cayenne pepper or the chilli pepper because that will be up to you based on the desired strength of your compound. If you use a small jar of Vaseline and you want it hot, use two
tablespoons of both peppers finely ground and stirred into the compound. When it cools it will be somewhere between a pink to red color. You've just made Red Tiger Balm... congratulations!

Rubbing the balm(soft tissue manipulation) speeds up the healing time and prevents improper drainage and stagnation problems, tissue healing and breaking connective tissue adhesions that interfere with normal electrical charge flow of the body.
Did I mention I'm a great cook!

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-02-27 12:26 ]

junkie23
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger balm i thought it was only available here in Asia seems its also worldwide. Kickchick thanks for the advice! I have read your other posts and your so Knowledgeable!

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your welcome!
Most martial art stores do carry it...and if you can't find something ...hmmm where else can you go?
Welcome junkie23 to KarateForums! ... you are from Asia?

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a pot of that tiger balm stuff, wicked stuff. I tell the girlfriend it's Gorgio Armani she loves it.

I've got the waxy vasaline like red one.
So how do you make it in a liquid form Master chef kick chick?

Bretty
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: