Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Personal principles vs goals Reply with quote

Lupin1 wrote:
As a woman, I am fully aware that there are differences between males and females of every species. It's nature. To ignore that or pretend it's not true is to deny a very basic fact of the world.

The point of the test is to show the student is in shape and to push them physical. What "in shape" and "push physically" means for a male is going to be different than what it means for a female. Just like what it means for a child will be different than what it means for an adult.

It would be illogical to have the same physical standards for everyone. Take a look at a military fitness test chart. See how they have different standards for gender and a for age? The goal of those tests is for the soldier to be in good shape and even the military recognizes that what that means is dependent on different variables.

I am not offended by the fact that I'm not as strong as my male classmates
. It's nature.

But would you be offended if the suggestion was you were not as skilled as your male counterparts?

If I have to jump, spin 360, and strike a small target before landing gracefully in a fighting stance, and you just had to step through and side kick, would that be an equal test of skill allowing for natural body differences?

Just throwing it out there, but some of my female counterparts can do that far better than I can.

With respect to my female counterparts, I suspect (in fact I know because some have come out and said it) that some are happy that this inequality exists because it makes the test easier for them. I'm not sure I can support that.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, its clear that you believe board breaking is a very important part of MA training, especially testing.

Humor aside, I do think that if breaking is a requirement for testing, then each rank should have several choices available when it comes to breaking techniques.

Now, when it comes to your testing, I think you will benefit the most by doing what is asked of you at the testing, and use the experience to make whatever changes you feel down the line.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
First off, its clear that you believe board breaking is a very important part of MA training, especially testing.

I'm not sure if this is tongue in cheek or a misunderstanding

For the avoidance of doubt, I believe board breaking to be The single most ridiculous aspect of the traditional martial arts culture.

Pyjamas. OK, strange, but I get it. It's loose fitting and it's a uniform that takes away any class or gender divides by making everyone look kind of the same.

Coloured belts that somehow mean a certain level of skill or understanding? Another bizarre notion but OK, it helps both fellow students and instructors understand roughly how far along you are at a glance.

Screaming at nobody while you kick things air? Yeah okay but there is science to back the rapid exhalation as you perform a technique, and kicking thin air without falling over has value seeing as when you try to kick an actual opponent, he will want to move and counter and you still want to keep your balance.

Bowing and speaking Japanese / Korean to a westerner who speaks the same native language as you and it's not Korean or Japanese? OK. Erm. Yes. OK, it's a cultural thing I guess, and besides, you never know, you might actually one day work with a Korean or Japanese instructor I guess.

Breaking small pieces of soft pine that are being held still for you, as a means of demonstrating how hard you are. ....... erm. .... sorry, got nothing lol.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All valid points.

Chunmonchek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Personal principles vs goals Reply with quote

Lupin1 wrote:
As a woman, I am fully aware that there are differences between males and females of every species. It's nature. To ignore that or pretend it's not true is to deny a very basic fact of the world.

The point of the test is to show the student is in shape and to push them physical. What "in shape" and "push physically" means for a male is going to be different than what it means for a female. Just like what it means for a child will be different than what it means for an adult.

It would be illogical to have the same physical standards for everyone. Take a look at a military fitness test chart. See how they have different standards for gender and a for age? The goal of those tests is for the soldier to be in good shape and even the military recognizes that what that means is dependent on different variables.

I am not offended by the fact that I'm not as strong as my male classmates. It's nature.

And there are differences between males and males, and females and females, too.

I've had students test for black belt that were from 15-70 years old, with varying abilities.

If I'm willing to present a student to my teacher for Shodan grading, I've already determined that they have command of the necessary curriculum, and have the physical, mental and emotional ability to wear the belt.

The "test" is more of a milestone... and formality to stress test their command of the Art. Accordingly, Shodan candidates could be tested somewhat differently, depending on their own particular physical, mental and emotional abilities.

We really don't "test" for gradings past Shodan.

Personally, I don't care where I stand in line, as long as I have a place in the line...

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Personal principles vs goals Reply with quote

Chunmonchek wrote:
Personally, I don't care where I stand in line, as long as I have a place in the line...

I agree with you. Every now and then, I see some students get particular about where they are in line during line-ups, and I always use that opportunity to tell them exactly that.

Its one of the best lessons a student can learn.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Personal principles vs goals Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Chunmonchek wrote:

I agree with you. Every now and then, I see some students get particular about where they are in line during line-ups, and I always use that opportunity to tell them exactly that.

Agree, with both!!

The line is just a line, really, it is. There wouldn't even be a line if there was never the first White Belt to stand there!!

Besides, worrying about line positions starkly becomes quite clear when one understands that there's one spot in the line that they'll never ever stand at/on/in...

IN FRONT OF THE LINE; that's where the CI AT/ON/IN, and you, as the student, ARE NOT.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Personal principles vs goals Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Chunmonchek wrote:

Agree, with both!!

The line is just a line, really, it is. There wouldn't even be a line if there was never the first White Belt to stand there!!

Besides, worrying about line positions starkly becomes quite clear when one understands that there's one spot in the line that they'll never ever stand at/on/in...

IN FRONT OF THE LINE; that's where the CI AT/ON/IN, and you, as the student, ARE NOT.

Is the goal of your school to destroy student's aspirations?

Why will they never ever be the chief instructor?

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
So why for martial arts? Do we have black belt men and black belt women? Or just black belts?

I know right, always wondered why in tournaments they have female and male kata seperate. No strength differential there.....

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Personal principles vs goals Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Chunmonchek wrote:

Agree, with both!!

IN FRONT OF THE LINE; that's where the CI's AT/ON/IN, and you, as the student, ARE NOT.

Is the goal of your school to destroy student's aspirations?

Why will they never ever be the chief instructor?

To the bold type above...

I'm speaking in present tense, and NOT in future tense!! I'm the CI of my dojo and our Hombu has a CI as well, so, when I'm in house at the Hombu, even though I'm Kaicho, I'm not the CI of the Hombu; there's no room, or reason, for me to stand in front of the line where the Hombu's CI stands.

Aspirations are find and all, and I wholeheartedly support them, but until the current CI of wherever steps down, that spot in front of the line is reserved, for the moment.

Anyone that knows me on and/or off the floor knows that I'm a staunch proponent for the Student Body, and that I encourage the entire Student Body in whatever their aspirations are, wherever they might be, and that includes becoming the CI wherever that might be.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: