Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the stuff -: really good. do you know any good pressure point books? what ones would you recommed.

Singularity
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some great pressure point videos at http://www.thespeedman.com The video is called "Secrets of Devastation Enhancement."

By the way, -: I agree that pressure points can be hard, but it depends on how you look at it. Yes, there are 360 points. There are many on the forearm alone. However, I generally stick to 6 on the forearm that I can hit a lot easier than the rest. Yes, each point is different, depending on the angle and type of strike. There can be a lot to it, but pressure points can be simplified.

Dave

:-)-:
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a nice website, but keep in mind that you need a good instructor, nothing less, to teach you properly:

http://pressurepointfighting.com/public_html/dim_mak_taiji_points.htm

That's a chart of the points. For info on the system:

http://www.vincitydesign.com/kwoon/index2.html

Browse around, you'll find pressure point fighting somewhere in there.

And yes, I agree that pressure point fighting can be simplified, but like all things, there are two levels of it: structure and substance. You can simply learn some effective strikes and be able to get out of a bad situation, which would be substance. Or you could learn the methods behind it, its philosophies, etc, and become a master of it, being able to apply it for any situation. That would be structure. Although structure is superior to mere substance, it's understandable that convinience is a factor, too. Anyone can learn a few good pressure points and have their fighting ability drastically improved. But like I said before, you MUST find a good instructor, and you MUST have a feel for the human body, because nerves shift under the skin, and you have to know exactly what you're doing.

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the sheer number of pressure points there are supposed to be I'm amazed that its possible to hit someone and not hit one of their pressure points.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that they're not always right by the skin. A lot of the time, you have to push down, sort of cut them off the way you cut off water from a hose. Your opponent doesn't feel it right away, but it quickly builds up into a sharp, piercing pain. Before I knew what I was doing with pressure points, I accidentally finished an opponent with one rather dramatically (this was several years back). I brushed against the guy's left side with a glancing blow, thinking I hadn't done much damage. He sort of flinched, but regained composure. As we circled, he just sort of went loose and fell straight over on his face. Until my sensei explained, I didn't even know what the f*ck I had done, and that's what really got me interested in pressure points. They're not easy to do, by any means, but they're a great addition to any martial art, expecially grappling arts.

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a ju jitsu student we are taught certain pressure points which are incorporated into our defenses, I do not think this is a waste of time at all.

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very effective simply to know some good strikes, if not the entire system. Do you take Hakko-Ryu, by any chance?

shurikengirl
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-:, it's very interesting to read what you write.

Kyusho-Jitsu is another pressure point martial art

Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx
Ya, Kyusho-Jutsu is really poular down here; they teach it to cops and in a lot of self-defense classes. Eagle Claw is another good style, but it's pretty hard to learn. The advantage? Being able to tear holes through people with your fingers.

Morbid, no?

Sin Style
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive heard that being hit in a pressure point cause's blood clots and can kill up to seven years later. i know seven years seems a bit much, but what do you think ?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: