Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Bulltahr wrote:
RW wrote:
I enjoy most aspects of traditional martial arts, 99% of them.

The whole "this guy is your superior and you got to address them with a special reverence" thing is one of the few I don't.

Respectfully, I think that you may be missing something here, higher ranks than you should never be considered "Superior" but rather, your senior. And addressing dan grades by their rank title as it were, is part of the culture of "Traditional karate" which acknowledges your time and dedication to the art.
Just like many other formal institutions, military, government, academia, etc.
Now, how that person acts and treats you is a completely different deal.
If you prefer the more casual environment of a MMA gym then that's fine, but understand that a tradition dojo and a MMA gym are offering completely different experiences. Just check out some of the MMA forums and you will soon pick up the vibe that they have compared with a karate one like KF forums.

Best post I’ve read in quite a while.

I think there are good points in both respects here. I had the opportunity to train with Royce Gracie on a couple of occasions (in a Law Enforcement setting), and it was awesome. He was a very mellow and down-to-earth guy. Standing next to him, you wouldn't guess he'd been in the ring whipping guys. Being from a traditional background, I was all ready with the typical bowing and referring to him as "sir," but that wasn't the case. Very cool, very relaxed, and absolutely some of the best instruction I have ever received in my MA journey.

I've had instructors in my Traditional background with varying experiences. Most of them, outside of the class setting, we were just dudes talking. I always try to be respectful, though, but I have an idea with whom I can be more relaxed and casual with. I've had other instructors that kept it on the instructor/student basis in and outside of class. It's a matter of everyone having their own approach, really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: