Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kicks
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: WTF Tae Kwon Do (USTU,AAU), Hapkido

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means..wear that cup whenever sparring.

I was once hit with a back kick that came in low. I felt a stabbing pain in the pubic region, not in the groin itself. I hit the ground and was down a couple of minutes. I got up and finished the round. I even had another round after that.

When class was over I took the cup out my supported and saw it was broken in half!

The injury caused scar tissue to develop. With all the criss-crossing of ligaments in that area it has been an aggravation for several years now. I feel pain whenever trying to work my lower abs. Physical therapy has help some, but there is still residual pain.

Also, I've seen girls get kicked between the legs and go down hard. I make no claims to having cornered the market on pain!

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kicks wrote:
Also, I've seen girls get kicked between the legs and go down hard.

Yeah, I've had that happen to me. Bloomin' painful!!

Sheffield Steelers!

angelica d
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just read the whole of this thread for the first time ... I'm kind of overwhelmed! Grr it really annoys me when people say that women don't suffer like men, regarding sensitive areas. Boobs hurt when hit! A lot! As does getting hit between the legs!

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....i dont know about you guys
but where-ever i get hit, generally tends to hurt....

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

SoulAssassin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: MMA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I agree with wearing one from all experences.. I was wrestling in highschool about 3 years ago and there is a move to get someones arms out from underneath them when your laying stomach down on the mat, it involves your knee between the other persons legs and your hands under their chest then you very aggressivly slam your knee up at the same time pulling the persons arms out.. and guess who was on bottom without protection (that last part didnt sound very good)

Kicks wrote:
By all means..wear that cup whenever sparring.

I was once hit with a back kick that came in low. I felt a stabbing pain in the pubic region, not in the groin itself. I hit the ground and was down a couple of minutes. I got up and finished the round. I even had another round after that.

When class was over I took the cup out my supported and saw it was broken in half!

The injury caused scar tissue to develop. With all the criss-crossing of ligaments in that area it has been an aggravation for several years now. I feel pain whenever trying to work my lower abs. Physical therapy has help some, but there is still residual pain.

Also, I've seen girls get kicked between the legs and go down hard. I make no claims to having cornered the market on pain!

-------
this is non MA related but when i played baseball about 3-4 years ago I was playing shortstop when i caught a line drive in the cup, yea it shattered. no real damage done except mentally when the next practice came i just about ran from the ball lol..

"I aint gonna eat, I aint gonna sleep, aint gonna breath till I see what I wanna see and what I wanna see is you goto asleep, in the dirt permanently"

torris
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Chung Do Kwon TKD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being as I have 2 daughters in class with me, it was brought to my attention that when they start sparring, that they have "cups" (refraining from actually calling them cups, that fit specially for girls.

As I understand it, it hurts girls/women there just as much as boys/men. That coming from one of our Sr. Female Instructors.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drunken Monkey wrote:
....i dont know about you guys
but where-ever i get hit, generally tends to hurt....

lol, true for a lot of us I think!

Sheffield Steelers!

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torris wrote:
Being as I have 2 daughters in class with me, it was brought to my attention that when they start sparring, that they have "cups" (refraining from actually calling them cups, that fit specially for girls.

As I understand it, it hurts girls/women there just as much as boys/men. That coming from one of our Sr. Female Instructors.

Sensei actuall did begin to stock the female groin guard for the girls. As odd as it felt the first time you sized one of the boys up for head gear, hand pads and cup it felt really funny handing a girl one too.

CloudDragon
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Karate, Jujitsu, Kenpo, Taekwondo, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to find a groin guard similar to what the boxers wear, but that will fit under a uniform properly. Any ideas?

torris
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Chung Do Kwon TKD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All your needs met here
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: