Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe such miracles never happened, and that's why they don't happen today. I think that evolution makes much more sense than creation, and no that doesn't mean we were created from apes. There are holes in the theory, but that's why it's still theory and not law.

Man created both religion and science to explain the world. I just prefer to go the scientific route.

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am religious and I am scientific. I believe that their are something that man can do and can figure out for himself. Then there are something which can not really be explained yet, such as how, according to the Big Bang Theory, that ball of energy came to be. If there was nothing, how did it appear.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you bring it up, I do study science and I take both scientific and logic into account. There's many accomplished and famous scientists that believe in many types of religions. People seem to think that one cancels out the other, and that's simply not the case -- it's just how you look at it from your personal point of view and opinion. To some, it's reasonable that they can't associate science with religion, to other's it might make more sense.

There are move evidences than contradictions and assumptions. It is true, that everything in the bible that was prophesied, has indeed came true. There's sound sound theories (I say theories to not outright claim it's proof -- not for everyone) of many events in the bible, did indeed occur. However, some might not agree these are sound or real proof, so I will not claim everything is proven, or even many things, since people seem to accept it or not.

Anyway, I won't pretend to have all the answers... and I won't pretend that most questions posed aren't reasonable either. I suppose we all believe what we believe, things might and can happen to change that, or not. Again, I'm not saying this to convince anyone, just that this is what I know, or know of, maybe that will help to finally explain that aspect. However, I suppose anymore of that would risk bringing this even more off topic to the original question. Speaking of, I once again state that I don't believe in or know of anything that would state that martial arts is a sin or that there's anything wrong with it. You can do good or evil without ever studying how to defend yourself, fight or whatever else.

Kung Fu, Modern Arnis, TaiJutsu, and anything I can put to use.

This Message was edited by: Tim Greer on Jun 29, 2001 3:32am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2001 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone actually read the article we are talking about?

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2001 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-07-02 11:46, thaiboxerken wrote:
Did anyone actually read the article we are talking about?

I didn't read it, because it wasn't relevant to my input to this thread/debate. I simply meant to get across, that it wasn't neccessarily the most shared opinion, even in religious aspects. What the person or person's think that wrote that article are not relevant to what I said. However, I suppose if I did read it, I might have had more valued input to the thread, as I could have maybe pointed out what I personally thought was a flaw or whatever on that person's page... of not.

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2001 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Ken, I read it and respectfully say that it did not sway my opinion...I still need to see it to believe it. It did however kinda get under my skin though Tim when I read countless times statements telling me that if I did not accept Jesus into my heart, that I would not be accepted into Heaven...seems a little selective for a God that made us in his/her own image - I think statements like that only divide people and other religions...

-Unknown-

Taesujutsudrw
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2001 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why sites like that are dumb.

They just say things to get you to read their brand of Christianity...mostly FUNDIE.

I don't bother with sites like that..they are all the same.

My belief is..if you believe in God...fine..if you don't fine. I am not here to judge you.

BTW. Jesus taught us to tell people about Christianty..but if the perosn doens't want to listen..we are suppose to leave them alone.
However, Most Fundies..can't seem to get that through their head.

Before you wonder...I belive that God has many names...and many ways to reach him...not just one.

Peace,
Tae

"Before destruction one's heart is haughty, but humility goes before honor."
Proverbs 18:12
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's about time i said something, even though i really don't have any side on the argument...

You are all right!! Yes! That's the truth! But then again, you're all wrong - and that's the truth, ruth... Anything could be right, anything could be wrong - we've all agreed on this haven't we? So let it go.

I'm a theistic evolutionist, i combine evolution with my spirituality and it works fine with me. How can i go to hell if i don't believe in it? How can i go to heaven if i don't believe in it. I just go to my happy place, or nothing happens at all.

Perhaps we don't even exist, and maybe you're all in my dream, which in essence is not real because i don't exist.
See what i mean? It's endless questions like this that would drive us insane! What's at the end of the universe? If it has no end then how can that be? Our minds are so small that we cannot comprehend anything beyond our lives and that which man has created for himself to feel more adequate...

I'm not dissing religion, i'm just wishing that everyone would shut up and live!
Angus

This Message was edited by: Angus on Jul 3, 2001 2:23am

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickbutt, we all know what you're saying. And, as for that site and what that person said, it's just that person's site and what that person said. It doesn't mean anything other than that person's opinion or interpretation, be it someone's right or wrong, you can't just believe what someone says -- and you obviously do not. This is a good thing and no intelligent person would argue that.

Angus, my theory is, if you don't like the subject or topic, save yourself the stress nd don't read it. I'm not saying that to be rude or sarcastic or anything at all. Simply, if you don't like something, avoid it, do other things or ignore it. Of course, unless it affects you, which this doesn't. This is going to be a "hot topic" anywhere, and it's not a big deal or an issue. Some people do indeed need to shut up, but all of us here are being polite and just sharing our opinions about the topic... it's all in good spirits (no pun intended . Oh, by the way, if you don't believe fire will burn you, would it not burn you? (Sorry, I couldn't resist that one) .

Cheers everyone!

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh , but if you believe in saint Nick, does that mean you'l get presents from a jolly fat man in a red suit every christmas?

Just like Nick, nobody's seen the afterlife and come back to tell us the truth, but people have been burned by fire and it is known as the truth... People therefore believe, thru experience, that fire will burn you. but nobody knows thru experience that you will have a life after death....

Angus

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: