Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school goes for simplicity. Just a small black and white circle patch with the kanji for WA.

I don't even have one. my gi is blank.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have two fairly simple patches, one for each side of the chest. One is the Traditional Taekwondo Association patch, and the other is the Sun Yi's Academy patch. On the back is the Korean symbol for Do, with Sun Yi's Academy Taekwondo on the back, too.

Some of the instructor's uniforms has an Instructor patch on it, and some of the Master Instructors have a patch that denotes that.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Some of the instructor's uniforms has an Instructor patch on it, and some of the Master Instructors have a patch that denotes that.

Im not trying to take a shot at you, Brian, but why do they have patches that say that? Doesn't the belt say that in its own way? Doesn't their abilities and leading class say that? Sorry, it's just one of those things I can't wrap my head around.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because. Its something our GM wanted to do, so he did it. I don't get to be the one to approve such things, I just wear the uniform they give me. The uniform I wear right now doesn't have an instructor patch on it. One that I do have doesn't fit.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simplicity is always best when it comes to martial arts schools. Overly loud, complicated and colorful designs are not necessary and can often be distracting.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

Im not trying to take a shot at you, Brian, but why do they have patches that say that? Doesn't the belt say that in its own way? Doesn't their abilities and leading class say that? Sorry, it's just one of those things I can't wrap my head around.

For what it's worth ITF TKD also has something similar in their shoulder flashes (inspired by military uniform): https://goo.gl/photos/qyHTbThafUMJiXPY8

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses so far. With the exception of tallgeese, would it be fair to say most here have a traditional-style school logo rather than a more modern one?

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly would qualify as a "traditional style" logo? How exactly could one identity elements that might suggest such a tradition or trend exist? If such a thing does exist, where could it be said to originate? The birth country or region of a given martial art?

The only quasi-universal trait martial arts logos appear to have is that as a general rule, smaller and older martial arts dojo with strong ties to their region of origin tend to favour more sober designs.

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We wear two patches on our gis. Our style patch has the kanji for Uechi-Ryu written vertically, with a green "COLORADO" underneath. On the left sleeve, we wear our organization patch, which has the modified offset red double-oval of the Okinawan flag in the center. On top of the flag, it has a large black SANCHIN in kanji. Circumscribing the double oval above, we have the kanji for Uechi-Ryu Karate-Do, and underneath we have the name of our organization (in kanji) Kokusai Kyokai.

Since we're the only member of our organization (or Uechi-Ryu school for that matter) in the Denver area, it pretty much uniauely identifies us.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

SLK59
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have trained in two traditional Shotokan karate-do organizations. For both of them, the practice was/is to wear a plain white dogi. In both, members also had/have the option of wearing the organization’s patch or embroidery on the left chest of the gi.

My 45-year-old JKA patch features the red and white Inyo (Rising Sun/Yin-Yang) symbol, with “J.K.A. International U.S.A.” overlaid in black.

My current SKA embroidery is the Shotokan Tora no Maki (Tiger Scroll) symbol created by Hoan Kosugi, with “Shotokan Karate of America” circumscribing the Tora no Maki - all in blue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: