Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StirringMotion wrote:
MasterPain wrote:
Drunken Boxing? Hello and welcome!

Hello! Thank you. And yes, but I use the name very loosely. As there is no actual drunken system that I have noticed, I haven't studied one. Just the CLF branch and an old 'entertainment' form of Drunken Boxing.

I love the Shaw Brothers movies. Sam Seed and Silver Fox put on a great show. Jackie Chan was young, Sammo Hung was chubby. Ahh the good old days before I was born.

Ever seen Dance of the Drunken Mantis?

StirringMotion
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: LHBF, Judo, Drunken Boxing

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
StirringMotion wrote:
MasterPain wrote:
Drunken Boxing? Hello and welcome!

Hello! Thank you. And yes, but I use the name very loosely. As there is no actual drunken system that I have noticed, I haven't studied one. Just the CLF branch and an old 'entertainment' form of Drunken Boxing.

I love the Shaw Brothers movies. Sam Seed and Silver Fox put on a great show. Jackie Chan was young, Sammo Hung was chubby. Ahh the good old days before I was born.

Ever seen Dance of the Drunken Mantis?

I have, actually! It was better than I had expected. Kept me entertained, anyway. XD Something I never thought to investigate, but is that a real style? Or was it made purely for the movie? It seemed comical to me.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purely theatrical. And performed by a TKD master.

StirringMotion
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: LHBF, Judo, Drunken Boxing

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
Purely theatrical. And performed by a TKD master.

Thought as much. Didn't know about him being a TKD master, though. That's a cool little extra. Thanks.

deckerdude
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Traditional Shotokan Karate. Wudang Tai Chi.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Evening! I am a relative newbie to the world of Maritial Arts, and Shotokan Karate, having only been practising now for eight weeks. My wife wants to get a bit more fitter and to lose some weight, so with that in mind, we joined a Tai Chi Class last week. Tomorrow is our second week at this particular Maritial Art. Because i still consider myself a 'newbie' in Karate, this 'cross training' that i am doing is, i'm afraid, lost on me at the moment! I cannot see what you regular guy's and gal's can see with regards this cross training, and this is because of ''the newness of it all'' to me, but i'm pretty sure i'll have a better basic understanding of it in about six months or so, as we both cannot wait for Saturday's now!

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="deckerdude"My wife wants to get a bit more fitter and to lose some weight, so with that in mind, we joined a Tai Chi Class last week. Tomorrow is our second week at this particular Maritial Art[/quote]
While some might comment on your spelling of "Martial", the fact that you are training with your wife in support of her goals indicates to me that it may be indeed a "Marital" art in your case! Good luck to both of you.

insofar as the cross-training is concerned, those arts approach the same problems in different ways. My issue was always that the habits that one teacher would try to hammer into me were the habits that the other teacher would spend as much time trying to hammer out of me. Very frustrating. This is why many more experienced artists suggest mastering one, then crosstraining in other arts that have tools the first art lacks.

deckerdude
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Traditional Shotokan Karate. Wudang Tai Chi.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoL JusticeZero!! I am normaly quite good at Spelling, must have missed those two words then--but i somehow think that the misspelt word complements the post in general, well spotted that man!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, deckerdude. In time, you'll see how the differences pan out in the styles. Hopefully, you'll be able to keep the two seperate enough they won't interfere with each other in practice. If you can, then you'll be solid!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shindokan by itself is not enough!!

Shindokan is not all that and a bag of chips, and neither, imho, is any style of the martial arts. Why? We're imperfect across the board. While, I believe in Shindokan with all of my heart, mind, body, and soul, it's, and/or I'm better, as a martial artist, if I've more than one trick up my sleeve.

I've trained in a plethora of styles of the martial arts to accentuate Shindokan, even though, it [Shindokan] is my core style.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: