Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Should Christians do MA
Yes, they are great!
89%
 89%  [ 193 ]
No, they can be a stumbling block.
10%
 10%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 215

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life is short. Why not? I don't know about you, but I've been given one life and I am going to live it to the fullest. I think most religious people are more concerned with what their fellow Christians will think of them more so than what God will think. God knows you better than you do, so why worry what people think? That's if you are religious, which I'm not. I tend not to agree with popular opinion on any subject and that includes the bible.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't see a conflict between being Christian and being a Martial Artist. You're not being cruel by sparring people...it's a skill that you're practicing together mutually.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Metsubushi
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

every religeon exept buddhism ( cos if you follow it perfectly your not ment to attack or kill anything even at death situations ) i think its because the thing that you attack may be a buddist in another life now ( that idear would mean you woudnt need to take ma if no one could attack you cos of the beilefe

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kchenault wrote:
SevenStar wrote:
1. We know that God helps those that help themselves.

This is not a biblical teaching, Sevenstar. You will not find it in the bible.

I suggest everyone to read the article on Christians in the Martial Arts in the article section to get just one perspective on this subject. Sorry, couldn't help the plug. Heheh.

Never said that it was. Does not mean it doesn't hold true. Those who help themselves and have faith in Him are helped by Him. Look at job, barak, Noah - the list goes on. They believed in God, helped themselves by following his word and were blessed in the end.

When I think about it, barak is a bad example. Even though he won the war, deborah and another woman were given the credit, as barak would not go unless deborah also went. deborah told him that she would go, but that if she did, God would deliver the enemy into the hands of a woman. So, he had faith in God and in deborah, but moreso in deborah. He only piggy backed off of her faith.

kchenault
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: TKD, little Hap Ki Do, Target Focus Training

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be nit picky here Sevenstar, but I believe, JMHO, the saying means that those who trust in their own understanding and do things in their own power, not relying on God for anything, get the help from God. But I digress from the current subject. Job relied solely upon God and not himself, Don't know anytinhg about Barak, and Noah did exactly as he was told to do. Didn't trust in his own power or understaning at all.

I guess we just look at this saying differently. God bless to you Sevenstar.

And the second part of my statement was just a general one for everybody to read my article (shameless plug).

pmh1nic
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Jiu-Jitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kchenault

That exact quote isn't in the Bible but the principle is there. God has equipped us with certain natural abilities. He expects us to use our natural talents and abilities (in honorable ways of course) to accomplish the things we are capable of accomplishing. He is their to help and guide us while also providing what we need in situations that may go beyond our natural abilities to deal with.
"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KWN
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SevenStar wrote:
1. We know that God helps those that help themselves.

2. We know that the bible says "Iron sharpens Iron" In reference to the way men treat/raise, etc. each other.

3. We know that our God is not a God of peace. He is a God of compliance. He wants us to do as He says, and to follow His law. He has destroyed nations that have not complied. He obviously has no problem with battle, if it's justified.

Where things start to get hairy is when you involve eastern concepts. For starters, many people think ki/chi/prana/punap, etc. is some mystical force that's called upon. Naturally, that is seen as demonic. Next, there's the issue of calling someone "master". The only master one should have and serve is God. In addition, some styles, like ninjutsu, do deal with things that are quite unchristian. The 9 hand signs for example, if I understand them right.

As a side note, My church recently asked me to implement a kickboxing and/or judo class.

You are right to a degree. i don't think God has any problem with defending yourself. But I do have to disagree with one thing: you said God was not a God of peace, and yes, it really does seem that way in the OLD Testament, but when Jesus came that all changed. I can't recall God wiping out any nations in the New Testament.

but anyway, that is beside the point, what I am uncomfortable with IS the eastern religon involved. You see, my best friend and her sisters are very into karate, and they do the whole chi and meditation thing. They tell me it is just natural energy, but it scares me how ready they are to plunge into it.

I would like to hear what your opinion is on chi.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chi is not religion.

it is a 'human' thing.
it is something that is thought to exist in man.

you don't worship chi.
you don't do things in the name of chi.
you don't get inspiration fro chi.

just because some religions meditate does not make meditating the thing of religion.

i pray to the traffic lights to stay green a little bit longer but that has nothing to do with religion.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really I can't see why not, Christians had no problems killing people who followed the Islamic faith during the Crusades, and would not convert. Had their share of "Holy Wars".

Why not defend yourself...

http://www.liveyyc.com

Calgary Photographer: http://www.jdirom.com

Karate_Star
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all people who claim to be Christians really are. During the Crusades "Christians" were off the wall and were trying to force their faith onto others.

Anyway, even if they were truly Christians and they killed people does that mean we should to?

So seriously, think about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 2 of 19
Jump to: