Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Should Christians do MA
Yes, they are great!
89%
 89%  [ 193 ]
No, they can be a stumbling block.
10%
 10%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 215

angelica d
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the original question, I don't see why not. IMHO, anything becomes a religion if you let it take over your life, including MAs. If your religion is your prioeity in life then there is no harm in practising a MA. I guess ppl see the problem as being that if you learn a martial art you are going to use it in the street and pick fights. This is definitely not the case for me and most of my fellow karate students, so there is no conflict with Christian teachings. I do karate because its a beautiful and elegant art, it gives me confidence, keeps me fit, and would be useful if I ever needed to defend myself. I don't believe that if ppl are Christians they should 'turn the other cheek' so to say. Christianity teaches you to respect yourself as well as others, and that includes defending yourself if necessary.

BTW I am a Christian and practise MA if you hadn't already guessed!

KoreanTiger30
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Haedong Gumdo, Kyuk Too Ki, and any Korean Styles I learn from training with others

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ahve been teaching martial arts and I have two students who come form strict Catholic backgrounds.. This comment is in no way offense towards Catholics.but however I find myslef getting into arguments with their mother alot because she says meditation is Satan's work drawing worship away from the lord and that ki engergy and and the devotion to channelig ki is a voodoo concept..lol I explain to her that think of ki engergy as the holy ghost's power withing them and they are finding way sof harnassing that power and concentrating on their techniques. She has a misconceived notion that i am having them pray to Buddha but however this is just another example of ethnocentric attitude in our culture
International Haedong Gumdo Federation
Kyuk Too Ki (Korean Kickboxing/Streetfighting)

KoreanTiger30
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Haedong Gumdo, Kyuk Too Ki, and any Korean Styles I learn from training with others

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ahve been teaching martial arts and I have two students who come form strict Catholic backgrounds.. This comment is in no way offense towards Catholics.but however I find myslef getting into arguments with their mother alot because she says meditation is Satan's work drawing worship away from the lord and that ki engergy and and the devotion to channelig ki is a voodoo concept..lol I explain to her that think of ki engergy as the holy ghost's power withing them and they are finding way sof harnassing that power and concentrating on their techniques. She has a misconceived notion that i am having them pray to Buddha but however this is just another example of ethnocentric attitude in our culture

stl_karateka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu & Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Christian and there are certain schools/styles/practices that I wont partipate in...I say this to say if that mother thinks it is wrong, she has the option of training elsewhere....I don't see the point in arguing.

I wouldn't use the ki/holy ghost analogy though---I can't imagine that goes over too well.

Not ethnocentric....perhaps misinformed.

TLynn03
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill just add what I heard from a teacher in sunday school
you get hit on one side so you turn the other cheek...If they hit that one too you have no other cheeks to turn lol

Spookey
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Taekwon-Do (Oh Do Kwan)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Trust in the Lord with ALL thine heart lean not on thy own understanding; in all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy path"

"Fear the lord thy God"

and to the fellow that stated that God only destroyed things in the Old Testament...read REVOLATIONS...the whole world is destroyed!

Furthermore, Ki, Chi, Quai gong, what have you...it is a physical energy posest by the human body. God gave me this energy to keep my heart beating!

Life force is not voo-doo and is not the Holy Ghost;however, meditation can be a time of prayer!

TAEKWON
Spookey

KoreanTiger30
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IM SORRY IF MY HOLY GHOST ANALOGY OFFENDED ANYONE BUT IT ACTUALLY DOES GO OVER WELL. I TRY NOT TO ARGUE AND NEVER GET INTO ARGUMENTS BECAUSE I HATE TURNING IT INTO A RELIGIOUS ARGUMENT. MY VIEWS ARE VERY DIFFERENT FROM CHRISTIAN BELIEFS SO ITS HARD TO REALTE TO THEIR IDEOLOGY BUT I TRY TO MAKE IT RELATE IN ORDER FOR THEM TO UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT NOT SAY IT IS THE HOLY GHOST.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean Tiger, if your Holy Ghost analogy is helpful in explaining to other people about Ki/Chi/Internal Energy/whatever people want to call it then I see no reason not to use it.

One thing that shouldn't be used is all capitals when writing in the forums... It looks like you're shouting and that can offend some people. Thanks.

Sheffield Steelers!

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a Christian (orthodox), but I never felt MA training would hinder my spiritual pursuit
Taking MA classes is a personal choise. Do you think it's OK? Go for it. Not? Don't take the classes. But once you've done it obey their rules (there are many who think they shouldn't bow to the others and so on). If it's not OK with you, leave or obey, don't try to change the system just tp suit you (there've been some ideas )

karate4Christ
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Christians can do martial arts. I am a Christian and my martial arts training is helping to further my faith. It is also helping me to develop character traits such as discipline and respect that are essential to Christian living. I am not sure how I feel about chi or zen or meditation,but I do know that martial arts can be as powerful a tool for Christ as it can be against Him. I would like to hear from some of you fellow Christians on board here how you interpret zen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 3 of 19
Jump to: