Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is mostly ego I am thinking. If I were the teacher, I would withhold his bb for a LONG time. That is uncalled for. I would take that student, and show him without breaking a sweat why I was teacher. Talking to people in this situation doesnt work. This person KNOWS better, but chooses not to DO better. One of the saddest truths is that the only way to stop violence is with greater violence. I would smoke this kid, and then send him back to the workout. He would get loud and clear that he should calm down.

Shawn
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate, AKKS Kenpo, Koshindo Jiu Jitsu, Machado BJJ, ICHF Hapkido

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
There are some great responses here as to how you can deal with the person. If they are a danger to students, then it is important to ensure that the danger is stopped, that means fixing them or giving them the boot. I won't go into that any further, but I will go into something else that caught my eye and that's when a few of you mentioned he was trying to show the instructor up. There is something that most instructors forget and that is the true essence of Martial Arts - Be Humble! You are not the best at what you do, and there may be students in your class that point out mistakes you actually do make. We are not super human, except the challenge from a student as a learning experience and then pass that on to your students. If they are physically challenging, then put them down hard, but then point out to students how important it is not to let yourself get into this situation in the street as they can now see how hard it is to get out of. Be Humble.
Shawn

turonaga
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: gensei ryu karatejutsu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Showing up the instructor? Reply with quote

DLopez wrote:
Have any other instructors ever had to deal with this situation, and if so, how did you deal with such students?

Expulsion? Suspension? Slap on the wrist?

in our dojo i'm d enforcer the whiphand. in our experience b4 the student quits after just two sessions becoz he gets to spar with me all d time. full contak all d way. i hate such disrespectful students. what do i need such students for? the other instructor a little lenient was prepared to forgive immediately thats why maybe our rude student was able to stay 2 more sessions after such same incident of rudeness. my views may not reflect the same view of my dojo or my sensei.

White Warlock
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: See my Intro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
If they are physically challenging, then put them down hard, but then point out to students how important it is not to let yourself get into this situation in the street as they can now see how hard it is to get out of. Be Humble.

While i understand your point, i don't agree with your premise. In this particular case, as described by DLopez, it was not an issue of humility, but of a lack of respect and a general disregard for the safety/well-being of the instructor.

Possessing humility is quite different from the detrimental effects of positively acknowledging disrespectful and fundamentally dangerous actions. In such a case, talking about the incident to your students by saying, "always have your guard up" is actually encouraging such inappropriate actions and even providing kudos to the student who committed them. That should not be the type of message your students receive. Instead, it should be an opportunity for providing humility to the student who acted in such a way.

Intro

DLopez
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Showing up the instructor? Reply with quote

turonaga wrote:
in our dojo i'm d enforcer the whiphand. in our experience b4 the student quits after just two sessions becoz he gets to spar with me all d time. full contak all d way.

turonaga, for some reason I just started daydreaming about The Sopranos. Hehe!

Just to update, my instructor let a week go by (to cool off) before talking to this guy about what happened.

He's still a student, but after being told he's under the microscope, you can tell he's really watching his P's and Q's now.

Hopefully, our instructor got his point across, and he arrived at the best possible outcome from this situation: the student has changed his attitude and ways, and the school hasn't lost a student.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

Luckykboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Kenpo Karate, Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, Boxing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
in our dojo i'm d enforcer the whiphand. in our experience b4 the student quits after just two sessions becoz he gets to spar with me all d time. full contak all d way.

so to teach someone how not to be disrespectful and use unnecessary force against another you beat him up?

Ya I have to say that sounds pretty childish to me, and while I am one of the largest black belts at my school, and fight in muay thai, boxing, kenpo, and no holds barred contests, I find it particularly distressing that someone would use this opportunity to beat someone into submission.

maybe i understood your quote wrong. But if you are wanting to get physical and enjoy it, maybe spend more time in competition against those that are equally trained?

GrrrArg
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: karate of some form

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its not yet but don't turn this into a flame war guys.

embm
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Mixed Martial Arts Chung Do Kwan TKD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a female instructor, I have run into disrespect from my studuent, however, we do not tolerate disrespect in any form to any student or instructor. I will immediately stop class and demand an apology from the student and make them do pushups or leave the class if it is particularly egregious.

I normally do a technique then show how the technique is utilized in real life for the "wow" factor - such as turning a rising block fold into a block, reversing the attackers punch and putting them into an arm bar.

In sparring, I leave openings for lower belts but if they try to take my head off, I tell them, I will go as hard as you go. If they don't cool it at that point, it usually only takes one clash to get them to calm down. If they are still a problem, then our head instructor will go a couple of rounds with them. Another thing I will do is tell the student what I am going to do - everytime you drop your hands I am going to hit you in the head - and then do just that. Then I tell them how to counter that strike without leaving themselves open.

We actually had a brown belt tell our head instructor you can't kick me in the head. I don't think he will ever say those words again. After about 5 minutes sparring to set him up and fakes to make him feel over confident, the instructor did a spinning hook kick that dropped the guy like a rock. The student admitted later that he had been feeling pretty cocky, but would never make that mistake again.

There is always somebody bigger, badder, faster and stronger - or just plain meaner.

Luckykboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Kenpo Karate, Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, Boxing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like most of what you said EMBM, except I think it is a bad idea to stop class and demand an apology from 1 misbehaving student.
you are rewarding his bad behavior by giving him attention and you are redirecting your efforts from the students that are trying to learn.

I think a simple... 50 pushups now... and back to class is more then enough in that case.
I know when I am teaching and i have a student acting up, I try to address it without disrupting the rest of the class...
setting someone up with chinese chairs for 5 mins does wonders

turonaga
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: gensei ryu karatejutsu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckykboxer wrote:
maybe spend more time in competition against those that are equally trained?

i have. by the way, don't picture me a saddist or sumthing it is just how we do it, loyalty and respect is of outmost importance for us if a student does not have such quality it is better that he does not join or else he will infect the others. dont know much about your culture but i'm learning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: