Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

embm
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Mixed Martial Arts Chung Do Kwan TKD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we normally have at least two instructors for every class, it is not a problem. Plus, this is the kind of attention most kids don't want to have repeated.

Spielwurfel
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy was very coragous!! HEHUAHUAHUEHAUHUEUAHUEA!!!
I would never try to apply any kind of technique or choke or anything else in my sensei... I'm sure I would receive a punch or a kick that would hurt a lot... I already received a kick in my head from my sensei, and it hurted a lot (the reason is not important now...), and i could see that he dind't used too much strenght, so, in a "real" combat like that situation, I would go to the hospital...
But... Being coragous can be a very stupid thing...
I would suspend that guy to make him reflect about what he have done... What he made was very stupid; Try to apply a choke on a master, much more strong and with much more ability and experience...:S

lyrikalgeenus
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Den Toh No Shin Ka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see how a suspension would do anything..if he's trying to impress sombody or seem tough I would just put him in his place...a hard sidekick (not destructive) would teach the student that if your wiling to hurt be willing to be hurt back...thats how I was taught

June1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it just be simpler if you just tell the student to stop his/her behaviour immediately, for if he doesn't, he will not be able to attend class for some time or face suspension?

However, if the student is crazy and is coming at you full speed or whatnot, then I think some force should be used--just enough to disable him.

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

Trappersan
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do, Tae Kwan Do, Kendo, Jiu-Jitsu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been teaching for many years and have ran into this many times. when I demo something I expect that the student will come at me as hard as they can, so that I do not get cought off gaurd like this. Have I gotten cought YES and we all have. How to deal with it is the question. I never demo somthing that I can not get out of period. i use the approperiat amount of force needed to get out of it. when something like this happens I like to use it as a teaching experiance. normaly it is Obvious what the students intention was to the rest of the class. Now they know that is works. After the class you need to explain why that this should not happen. Then they are probation. They will only work with person of higher rank who will be informed of the situation or I like to work with them personally. The lesson will continue until I fell they have learned. Another approach it to do privet lessons with them. Then let them set the pace of the class. I have done this many times there has not been more then one or two lessons before they learn my ability and the dangers of unnecessary hostility. Another approach it to do privet lessons with them. Then let them set the pace of the class. I have done this many times there has not been more then one or two lessons before they learn my ability and the dangers of unnecessary hostility. We as instructors are just that. We must educate them. We are part friend, part counselor, and part teacher. Find out why they behave the way they do. Once this has been done the behavior is not normally difficult to change. Many students come to us to learn martial arts but it is up to us to also find out what they need on top of the physical curriculum. They pick martial arts over other avenue of help for a reason. What is it?

June1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

White Warlock
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: See my Intro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, well said Trappersan, and welcome.

Intro

Shane
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Combative Arts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no need for students like that. Its one thing if thats what the Instructor had wanted him to do but during a demo where he is teaching and this guy does something like that, its just un called for.

kotegashiNeo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: goju/ Aikido

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With martial trainning it is important that type of ego is replaced with strong spirit otherwise you will train someone who may misuse your teachings. It sounds like the person in question needs to be trained very hard to temper his agression with humilty

Kilo-11
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Keichu-Do (Karate / Jiu-Jutsu) Prior: NSI (Modern Arnis, TKD, Judo) Takeshin Aiki-Ju-Jutsu, Fencing, Kendo, Shotokan Karate, Jiu-Jutsu, Aikido, TKD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this a few times while teaching class. Usually once you establish your prowess, this happens less often. I say to apply the technique as far as safely possible; I.E. don't break their arm, but put a very tight and painful armbar on them, if that is the techniques resulting finish. This usually curbs that behavior quickly. I recommend talking with that student afterward though and emphasize very firmly that that kind of behavior is not acceptable and will not be tolerated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: