Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Did the doctor indicate what causes this type of injury? Injecting blood thinner? I've heard of blood thinners in pill for; interesting! After your recovery, and I pray for your quick recovery, will you wear some type of ankle brace on both, and not just that one injured foot/ankle to protect the one or both Achilles?

Apparently it just happens sometimes and there are rarely warning signs. The nurse did say to me they've been seeing lots of these recently (there were at least 12 others with the same when I went into clinic). They think it's because after the Covid lockdown everyone has gone back to exercising at the same level and your body is like nope that's not going to happen!

I've got to see what the phsyio says about braces. I guess I'll end up wearing one temporarily on the bad leg but ultimately there isn't any reason why the other leg would be at risk.

Blood thinners were because you're at high risk of DVTs and I guess the injections are an efficient way to get it in to the body?. The boot immobilizes your ankle so your calf isn't pumping blood in and out of the leg so the thinners help minimise the risk. Speaking of which the muscle wastage is unreal. My leg has already seriously shrunk already compared to the other one. Not looking forward to the physio.

Thanks for your answers, Danielle.

I've not thought about what you mentioned regarding the Covid and exercising; easing into it and not jumping into it as before. Stretching now has a more severe meaning to it, and not just in the passing.

I've worn ankle braces for some time after I badly sprained my ankle when I tried vaulting over the gymnastic horse. Never done gymnastic, but it looked easy so I tried to do it...a painful lesson.

Beside the blood thinner, are you going any water pills to keep any swelling down?

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No water pills just the Dalteparin injections. I'm off them now. But I do get a lot of swelling around my ankle if I'm doing too much and not resting. I just put ice packs on it though.

Back into clinic on Thursday to see if it's working or not.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
No water pills just the Dalteparin injections. I'm off them now. But I do get a lot of swelling around my ankle if I'm doing too much and not resting. I just put ice packs on it though.

Back into clinic on Thursday to see if it's working or not.

You just hang in there, Danielle!! Prayers that your clinic will be a success,

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
That sucks Patrick. Are you all healed up otherwise?

Thanks for asking! Yes, I believe so! I'll consider myself 100% when I start swinging a club again at full speed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officially out of my boot! Went in to clinic and they were happy with how its progressing. Advised I could wean myself off the boot and into a shoe and managed to get myself into trainers within a few days. Very strange initially as with the muscle wastage I can't flex my ankle too well.

Not yet driving though as if I have to emergency stop I'll snap it again this soon. Physio starts this week and it looks like I'll have to have 6 to 9 months before I'm fully back to TKD training.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news, Danielle that everything in your recovery is solid. The floor will be there when you're fully healed...so will your car.

Be safe!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear, Danielle! Keep at it!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear the progress!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: